stomachphyx

Carol M.
on 11/7/09 8:47 pm - Indiana, PA
Could someone please help me, I posted this question in the wrong forum so I'm going to try it here. I has RNY surgery in 6/2002 and almost got to my idea weight for only about 6 month, I started gaining a little here and there, I think it was due to the fact a local doctor who had no experience with GB patients stuck a tube down my throat shortly after my surgery, he was a local doctor in my home town, I think he stretched my pouch and my tube. I am in the trials in Pittsburgh, Pa for the new stomachphyx surgery and wanted to know if anyone had any success, I have regained over half of the weight I lost. I want to do the best thing I can to stop my weight gain. If anyone could tell me anything bad or good I would appreciate it so much.
Carol May
Ara Keshishian
on 11/8/09 12:55 am - Glendale, CA
 Hello Carol,
First of all it is unlikely that the scope caused the stretch of the pouch or the anastomosis. Your experience with the weight regain is not uncommon after the gastric bypass and has nothing to do with what you have or have not done. Weight regain after gastric bypass is just the natural history of the procedure. between 30-50% of the patient will gain some weight.

With regards to the stomaphyx, It reduces the pouch size. There are no long term studies to success of the procedure. Even though I offer this procedure, I warn against using it. It is not approved by FDA for weight loss, and the outcome is not know over a long period of time.

Hope this help.

Ara Keshishian, MD, FACS, FASMBS
[email protected]
www.dssurgery.com

Carol M.
on 11/8/09 4:16 am - Indiana, PA
I am having an upper GI tomorrow to see if my pouch and stoma has stretched, I think I will ask for more information on the study before I decide to do it. Thanks for your advice.
Ara Keshishian
on 11/8/09 6:59 am - Glendale, CA
 You are welcome, I have posted the studies that fail to show that size of the stoma or the opening matters on my blog.

http://blog.dssurgery.com/

Good luck
 Ara Keshishian, MD, FACS, FASMBS
[email protected]
www.dssurgery.com

LEAH W.
on 11/8/09 3:20 am - MCKEES ROCKS, PA
I'm glad I came across this post. I saw an ad in the paper about a study for the stmachphy x and I left a message but haven't gotten a call back.  I'm interested in learning a lot about this also.
Carol M.
on 11/8/09 4:22 am - Indiana, PA
Hi Leah, I will keep you updated on all that I find out, I am going for the upper gi tomorrow in Pittsburgh.
Carol M.
on 11/12/09 3:06 am - Indiana, PA

Will be having the stomaphyx  November 19th

scstewart
on 11/14/09 4:45 am
Can you tell me why you are having this procedure?  Also, did you get insurance to pay for the procedure?  I had an endoscopy done about 3 months ago and my pouch is still very small but my stoma has stretched significantly.  My BMI is back up to 36.6 and I have gained almost 40 lbs. since 2001.  The old feelings are coming back and I don't like this one bit.  Thanks
reenieb
on 11/23/09 3:50 am
RNY on 03/08/04 with
Endoscopy revisions do NOT work. Period. Please don't do this. Rebounding from the emotional feelings associated with procedural failure becomes a very, very difficult task. All the best, Maureen
Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.
Carol M.
on 11/24/09 12:24 am, edited 11/24/09 12:25 am - Indiana, PA
How do you know they don't work, have you seen any study results on the new stomaphyx plus device? If you know any information please let me know. I have already got the procedure done on November 19Th doing good.
Most Active