VSG to DS ?

ahoyalicia
on 11/4/09 12:50 pm - rice lake, WI
If you get the VSG and you need a switch to DS how does that work?  Do they have a BMI requirment to do the switch, or will you be able to do it if you havent lost much weight?  How much does a switch cost? is it more or less than just getting a full DS?
StacysMom
on 11/4/09 1:29 pm
 If you post this same question on the DS board, you will get your answers.   I haven't seen anyone so far posting on this board who has revised from a VSG to a full DS, but there are many people on the DS board who have revised from other surgeries.
JanelG
on 11/4/09 11:10 pm - Canada
Hi I was just revised from a VSG to a DS.  Had my VSG in Dec 2006, lost some weight, but started regaining. I didn't regain all my weight, so I was worried no doc in the states would do the DS with my now "low BMI".  It depends on if you are self-pay or trying to get insurance to cover.  If you are self-pay, and regaining after VSG, you'll have no problems finding someone to do it.  If insurance has to cover it, you have to meet their criteria for BMI, co-morbids, etc.
My surgeon didn't charge me the full DS price, because I already had the VSG, and we were just adding the DS to it.  He charges $26 000 full open DS if the VSG has to be redone as well.  Open DS only, no stomach dissection was $14 000 all inclusive.

Hope that helps!!

ahoyalicia
on 11/5/09 3:25 pm - rice lake, WI
 Oh this is good to know.  I am sure I will never have insurance that will cover it.  I was worried that they would still expect like a BMI of 40 or something.  How have you been doing with the revision?
JanelG
on 11/6/09 12:11 am - Canada
I am doing as well as expected.  Just had the surgery on Oct 27th, pain isn't really the issue, it's more the fatigue.  I go back to work Monday, I wish I could take more time but it's not really an option for me.  Kinda worried about next week, but we'll see.  Thanks for asking!

keenergel
on 11/6/09 3:44 am - OH
Where is your doctor?

JanelG
on 11/7/09 1:19 am - Canada
He's in Bloomfield Hills Michigan.  Oakland Bariatrics is the name of his paractice.  He's a great doctor!!

ahoyalicia
on 11/7/09 4:56 am - rice lake, WI
 Good luck with work!  Hope you feel better quick! :)
Most Active