Just Hours Away til Lapband to RNY

missnanajean
on 11/3/09 8:27 pm - Friendswood, TX
Just 28 hr.s til my New Life begins!!!  I'm not nervous or scared just doing the nesting thing washing, cleaning sorting and packing. I won't know how to act with so much energy, less pain in my body and knees. My Dr. says I'll lose more wt. than most as the fat releases so will the fluid I carry.  I'm trying to do just clears today just to be safe.See you on the other side. Miss Jean
Angie T.
on 11/3/09 10:29 pm - Somewhere, NY
Best of luck to you

Kindness Matters  

Angie

Caryn W.
on 11/3/09 11:39 pm - Las Vegas, NV
I wish you the best of luck...

I am on the road of trying to get a revision myself, from Lap band to RNY. But my insurance has denied me, because i am NO LONGER a full hundred pounds over my ideal weight, i am shy 30 lbs. I feel like they are punishing me for the weight that i have lost. My doctor seems to think that maybe my metabolism is preventing me from losing anymore weight with the lap band, as i have not lost any weight in over 10 months now. :( 
mellon
on 11/4/09 3:27 am - MN
Do you mind if I ask how you decided to go with the RNY with <30# to lose? I had an emergency band removal in June and now my surgeon is going to perform a replacement. My insurance approved it but my Dr. said he could change it to an RNY if I would like. He likes the RNY better but is totally willing to do the band. I just can not decide as I too have 20-30# to lose. Is the RNY drastic for such a small amount of weight? I am thinking more long term also, I need to keep this weight off. Would love to hear your thoughts.
Caryn W.
on 11/4/09 4:42 am - Las Vegas, NV
I am 5 years post op on my lapband...with mininal success. My current doctor thinks that my metabolism is keeping me from losing anymore weight. I carry all of my weight in my stomach area. I am an apple shape...and have major chicken legs and skinny arms. Over the past year i have become very frustrated with the band...as i am doing EVERYTHING right, and yet I am not losing anymore weight. I have actually bounced between gaining 5 lbs back to my current weight the entire 10 months i have seen my current doctor.
My current doctor is ANTI-band...he will place them if that is what you want, but he just thinks the patient would benefit more from the RNY, because there are ways to eat around the band, and if you have an issue with sweets, the band will not help you with that, because you can still have them, when with the RNY, sometimes people do not tolerate chocolate at all.
Don't get me wrong...I have had success with my band...I actually had a band baby...which was one of the reasons i wanted the surgery to begin with...as i tried everything to lose the weight.  Now that i am 5 years out...and my body has been changing...I think in the long run a RNY would be best for me.
In the last 10 months i have been diagnosed with Pre-diabetes, Pre-Hypertension, i also suffer, stress incontience.  I am a member of Curves and I do work out...but like mentioned...my doctor seems to think my Metabolism could be the key factor in my failing band now.  :(  I do not want another band...as I have suffered massive reflux due to over fills, to the point of sleeping in the recliner so i dont choke on my own saliva.
I just wish my insurance would see the light...ya know.
Caryn W.
on 11/4/09 4:48 am - Las Vegas, NV

sorry...i should have worded that better, i am 30 lbs shy of being a full 100lbs over my ideal weight, I need to loose 90 lbs. I currently weight 206 and they say my ideal weight is 134, so I need to weigh 234 to qualify for the gastric bypass- even though I have the Lap Band.

sdikeman
on 11/4/09 4:32 am
Caryn,

I was in your shoes. My weight was about 198 (i am almost 5' 2") so my BMI wasn't 40 - and I think I put done 5' 1" on my chart since I was in-between so by BMI was about 37.5.  But since I was having heartburn and so other issues, I qualified with my insurance to have the band out and the RNY done. Keep asking! 

How close are you? Maybe you could wear ankle weights! HA HA! 

Good luck! Sabrina
Caryn W.
on 11/4/09 4:44 am - Las Vegas, NV
i have been denied twice...even with my doctor stating medically needed. I am frustrated and do not know what to do now. :(   I see my PCM on Friday and i am gonna ask to be seen at the nearest MTF  (Military Treatment Facility) as i do not need TRICARE referrals to be treated on the Base....and they do the surgery there.
Ara Keshishian
on 11/7/09 3:35 pm - Glendale, CA
The indication for revision of a failed lap band to other procedures is not just weight regain or inadequate weight loss.  If you have complications of the band, as it is described in the literature, then your surgeon should be able to get the authorization for revision.

Having said that, I am of the position that no one should have a band revised to the RNY, since the odds are against the second procedure be any more successful than the first operation.
Make sure you do your research.

Ara Keshishian, MD, FACS, FASMBS
[email protected]
www.dssurgery.com

emjayel56
on 11/4/09 1:03 am - Boynton Beach,, FL

Good luck to you; i did the revision from lapband to RNY 9 weeks ago.  I love it and have lost 42 lbs so far.  You will be fine.  speedy recovery

maryjo

BELOW GOAL WEIGHT... LOST 151 LBS AND CURRENTLY WEIGH 138 LBS.  ... Maryjo

Most Active