Lapband to RNY recovery question

shellshock
on 11/3/09 8:19 am - Bremerton, WA
I am in the process of having insurance approved for a Lapband to RNY revision surgery. I am being told that I will need at least two weeks off of work for recovery. I am in an office sitting all day, will I really need that much time? I only took one week off for my lapband. I don't have any leave so I will be using LWOP, just curious how much time others have had to take off.
heatherlowrymom
on 11/3/09 9:19 am
I am having the same done 12/14...I have heard 2 weeks is about right if you are just sitting, but they say it's really 4-6 weeks of being tired...I think you should be fine with 2 weeks, I wouldn't go less...
Caryn W.
on 11/3/09 12:06 pm - Las Vegas, NV
I am trying to get my insurance to approve this rivision surgery. I have a question for you...because you already had the lap band...are you still 100 lbs over your max to qualify for your gastric bypass...because i have been denied because i am only 90 lbs over my max weight. I have appealed it and was denied again...any suggestions?
missnanajean
on 11/3/09 8:32 pm - Friendswood, TX
I'm having my revision tomorrow. My dr. is giving me 3 wk.s .I  think revision is a little more involved. I'll be on clears the first week then soft and am a nurse so I'm taking 4 weeks. If I feel able I'll go back earlier. I'll keep you posted. Miss Jean
yvette_07
on 11/3/09 10:40 pm - Colorado Springs, CO
I am am an hour away from having my band removed. Do not have a scheduled date for RNY yet.  But I hope it is soon.  Doctor says I should wait 6 to 8 weeks for RNY revision.
dasongbirdt
on 11/4/09 3:38 am - Dallas, TX
Are you serious?  I had the band removed and RNY all in one surgery.  I was off work for a week and three days.  I went back on a Thursday.  Everything was fine except I was really exhausted when I got home from work.  You will be really tired at the end of the day and your emotions are sort of off balance because your body is experiencing so many hormonal changes.  But, everyone is different.  If you don't generally have a problem recovering from any type of surgery then you should be fine w/ two weeks or less.

The only other thing is - with the second surgery (RNY) the weight loss is not as fast as it would be if you were a first time RNY.  It comes off slowly but it does come off.  I'm averaging about a pound a day.
314 highest  / 270 surgery / 196 cw / 149 goal 

shellshock
on 11/4/09 4:07 am - Bremerton, WA
I will take a pound a day... I am glad to hear that you recovered well and quickly. The band was my first surgery ever and I recovered fine. I hope the same goes for this one. I am already doing my pre op diet since I found out today my insurance APPROVED me!!! Surgery is scheduled for Nov 17th!!

missnanajean
on 11/8/09 9:14 am - Friendswood, TX
Good Luck! I'm 3 days postop from lapband to RNY and just stiff from sleeping in the chair. Most of my pain is in my left side and just a burning feeling and a little pulling. I'm doing good with drinking clear liquids and need to for this week. If all goes good can go to the mushie stage for 4 weeks.
heatherlowrymom
on 11/4/09 5:28 am
Caryn--I had my bad removed because I was having vomiting, nausea and severe reflux after 2 years...My insurance does not require me to be 100 lbs over. I think it is your insurance--is it Tricare? Can you get diff insurance to be primary, as open enrollment is starting this month...
heatherlowrymom
on 11/4/09 5:29 am
also, this may sound stupid, but if you are only 10 lbs away, you may just want to gain it back...I know, bad advice...
Most Active