UPDATE!

LosingSally
on 11/5/09 9:54 pm
I like the pic on my profile album better, but it ends up distorted when it's put up as avatar, so I'm leaving it be!
Thank you for your support, you hang in there on those extra pounds. I can lose mine, but then regain it in a couple of weeks!
Brenda M.
on 11/4/09 12:53 am - Westland, MI
Hi Janie,
I have just begun the process of revision to my RNY that I had 3 years ago.

I am having a really hard time finding any "research" or questions to ask my surgeon.  I have met with him, and he drew me a picture of the revision he is going to do.  As for the "lingo", I'm not up on any of that!  I know when I meet with the surgeon again I will get more info, but for now, do you have any suggested places that you looked in to before your surgery?

I have not heard of the "oil slicks" problem before, and would like to know more about what to expect.  I'm also kind of worried because when I was asking the surgeon about risks, side effects, etc. he mentioned more of a risk for bleeds and leaks, but said that was it.

Glad to hear you are doing so well!!

JROLFSON
on 11/4/09 4:13 am - St. George, UT
Hi Brenda:

Did your Dr. tell you what type of Revision he would be doing? Anotherwards is he going to re-size your RNY pouch? or just give you malabsorption by shortening your common channel...Those are two questions you should ask him...

Do you still have restriction in your pouch and stoma? or one or the other? Because if you don't then I personally would want more restriction because that is a battle I am fighting right now...I have no more restriction although I do have malabsorption which is helping me to drop the excess weight...My fear is that the weight loss will stop and I will overeat again and gain...

If you do have restriction from your RNY then you probably only need the malabsorption to help jump start the weight loss again...In the picture the Dr. drew for you did he show working on the pouch or intestines?

Oil slicks are a common occurence for those of us who have the ERNY which is the RNY pouch and the shortened common channel...My cc is 100 and if I eat a fat laden meal of any kind I will experience what they call oil slicks...And it looks exactly like it sounds orangy/yellow oil drops that float on the top of the water in the toilet when you go potty...they can be a little scary at times because I have had them just slide out when you least expect it...but I really haven't had that much problem with it...Also a part of this ERNY comes the gas and bloating when you eat high carb laden foods...so I don't....makes it much easier...

My revision was quite painless and very quick...I had a full open surgery and I went home the very next day...I was back at work in two weeks...I would do it again today if needed...

Let me know if you have anymore questions, All of us here would be happy to answer any that you might have...That is how I learned about all my revision options was to ask lots and lots of questions from all the people on this revision board...Easiest way is to just post the questions you have on the forum...

One more thing...I would probably never just have a revision to my pouch or stoma it will stretch out again..I would only do that if I was getting the shortened common channel along with it...the revision to the pouch helps weight loss and the malabsorption helps with maintenance of the weight loss...

Janie
pokerchips
on 11/5/09 8:43 am

Hello Janie,
I'm so glad to hear the update on your progress.  I'm still slow but steady after my one month stall I've started to lose again I'm 175 down from 224.  My 1st surgery in 2000 was a complete failure and I only lost 30 lbs, so I am continuing to be positive with the revision although the weight loss is slow.  I am in this for the long haul so I will do what works and make adjustments as needed.  I'm still not exercising like I should but I'm getting a little better with that.  It may sound crazy to others, but like you I look forward to the oil slicks because it lets me know my tool is still working. :)

My levels are good the iron was a little low but I have been anemic most of my life so the surgeon has not made any adjustments to my iron dosage.  I'm losing inches faster than weight and that is an interesting phenomenon for me to wrap my head around :)

I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your father.  My father, my hero and my heart passed away last year the day after Father's Day.  I still get depressed from time to time but I always remember how fortunate I am to have had such a wonderful father and that makes me feel better.

Peace & Blessings to you

Change is a Process Not an Event

JROLFSON
on 11/5/09 11:06 pm - St. George, UT
Hi There:

Good hearing from you...so it looks like you've lost 49 lbs? That is fantastic...Hooray! Anything over 10 lbs is a milestone in my book...I remember how I felt when I got under 200!!! Yippeee!!! Hoorah!!! I was so excited and everytime I drop into a lower category such as I just dropped into the 160's this week I almost die from excitement...

When did you have your revision? What exactly did you go with? Was it just the ERNY or do I remember you had a RNY and revised to distal RNY? am I right or wrong here?

Anyway...keep up the great work you will get there and yes it is slow but everyone says that's much better in the long run for your skin, hair, nails and overall good health...

Blessings and Peace to you as well ....

Janie
JustLookingToo
on 11/5/09 9:29 am - AL
What an inspiring thread! I just got my approval from Blue Cross of Alabama yesterday for a revision from Mini-Gastric Bypass in 2000 to Distal RNY. I should have a surgery date within the next week or so, hopefully. I'm so excited to see that all of you are doing so well. I look forward to joining you on this journey.
Most Active