Two timer failure looking for advice

keenergel
on 11/2/09 4:20 am - OH
I will post here and on the DS forum.  Has anyone gone through a third and finally successful WLS?  I have failed at both a VBG and a VSG.  I know, I didn't want a second restrictive, but you know the damned insurance companies. Any success stories out there for third time is the charm?  I know repeated attempts make for a redifined definition of  success.  No lectures or pep talks please, just the info I am looking for.

280 1st surgery down to 174
304 2nd sugery down to 234
currently 266 and miserable again
StillHopefulinAZ
on 11/2/09 10:07 am
I would like to know too.  I am only going on my second, but would like to know long term how succesful revision surgeries are.  I had lapband done Oct 2007 at 300#, completely unfilled and unhappy with it and would like bypass done. 
GayleTx
on 11/3/09 12:59 am - northeast, TX
I just had my second band removed and revised to RNY.  I'm 8 weeks out, losing slowly but I had already lost 160 lbs with the band so I don't expect it to be fast....I'm 40 lbs from goal.  I've lost 15 lbs post op ......guess that's good since my main fear was losing too fast with RNY  - guess that was a needless worry - ha! 
keenergel
on 11/3/09 2:05 am - OH
Good luck to all of us.
Zee Starrlite
on 11/3/09 4:48 am

The  VSG "sleeve" is the first part of the Duodenal Switch.  Why feel bad about it, just get it done. 

What is amazing is that your insurance company approved the sleeve back in 2007/2008 - it was considered "experimental", BUT the full VSG w. DS was being approved.  People would get the 2 step DS just to get the sleeve only.

Good Luck.  You have not failed.  The VBG had like a 90% failure rate AND a restrictive only WLS does not work for everyone.  Hold your head up high and get fixed with the DS once and for all.

Best,

Leila

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

keenergel
on 11/3/09 7:14 am - OH
They didn't;I private paid the sleeve in conjuction with another surgery.
Amy Farrah Fowler
on 11/3/09 9:35 am
The DS would be the best choice to get that weight back off, and it's actually a good thing that your half way there as your stomach is already a sleeve.

I have seen others who have had several revisions, but don't recall the names. I'm sure you can track them down when you get to the DS board. I'm sorry you've had a frustrating WLS battle so far, but think your on the right track toward getting help. Good luck.
Most Active