STUCK Lapband VS. RNY

Angie T.
on 11/1/09 10:08 pm - Somewhere, NY
Hello everyone 

I am 7 days post op, revision lap band to RNY. My question for you is:

~What is the difference in the "stuck" feeling from lap band to rny?

I know with the lap band, if something were stuck, I'd throw up and all was good. Does the same happen with rny? Is it a "burp up" or like vomitting? For me with the lap band it was more forceful, not just burp up, like some have. Sorry for TMI~

Kindness Matters  

Angie

shellshock
on 11/3/09 8:12 am - Bremerton, WA
Sorry I don't know the answer to your question but I am curious also as I will be a revision from lapband to RNY.

I have a question for you though since you have already done this, how long was your recovery time? With the lapband I took off one week and I was good but my doctor is telling me recovery will be longer since this is a revision.
Angie T.
on 11/3/09 7:32 pm - Somewhere, NY
I took 2 weeks when I had my lapband, just because I had the time. I also took 2 weeks for the revision. Doc says I should be good to go. I had surgery on 10/26, so still have some time home. :) As far as recovery it actually feels the same. I am feeling so good, it amazes me.
Good luck to you

Kindness Matters  

Angie

missnanajean
on 11/3/09 8:53 pm - Friendswood, TX
I just asked that ? the other day. The reply was--- we will only foam when we get sick  only a couple teaspoons what ever was in the pouch.And being stuck will be pain  in the breast bone with foam and to keep papya enzyme which is a natural meat tenderizer handy. Take it, chew it and we should be good in a hour. I was worried what we would throwup since it's connected to the intestine. They said it won't taste bad because there is less acid which is good news. I have my revision tomorrow and my Dr. is giving me 3 wk.s Everyone says we will be tired for a few weeks so being a nurse I'm taking 4 weeks and separating my  work days for the next month.
Angie T.
on 11/3/09 10:33 pm - Somewhere, NY

Good luck to you.

Kindness Matters  

Angie

emjayel56
on 11/5/09 1:40 am - Boynton Beach,, FL

not really sure what you mean.  i went from band to bypass 10 week ago.  dont know what you mean by stuck feeling.

maryjo

BELOW GOAL WEIGHT... LOST 151 LBS AND CURRENTLY WEIGH 138 LBS.  ... Maryjo

Angie T.
on 11/5/09 2:18 am - Somewhere, NY
Maybe you were one of the fortunate ones, who didnt experience a certain food not going down. For me, if I ate too fast, or didnt chew well enough, I had a terrible "stuck" feeling above my band. I knew the food was just not going down. It sometimes took a little while, but eventually,  it came up. I was wondering if it was a similar experience with bypass.
The feeling of being stuck, was like I swollowed a golf ball, and it just sat there.

Kindness Matters  

Angie

emjayel56
on 11/5/09 2:24 am - Boynton Beach,, FL
Oh okay I understand now.  Yes it is similar.   I think what's different with the bypass is you get a pain not so much stuck, but a pain that wont go away and it's kind of harder to make yourself throw up, hard to explain and if you do throw up it just isn't over like with the band. I had an episode that went on for 2 hours the other night every half hr.  So it's different but yet's it's similar.  Not sure if that helps.  either way i have no regretts, love the bypass.

BELOW GOAL WEIGHT... LOST 151 LBS AND CURRENTLY WEIGH 138 LBS.  ... Maryjo

Angie T.
on 11/5/09 6:40 am - Somewhere, NY
Thanks, I'm glad you understood me, it's hard to explain without being too graphic.  Thanks for your help

Kindness Matters  

Angie

Laura the Future
Pin-up

on 11/5/09 6:05 am - Edmonton, Canada
RNY on 07/27/07 with
I've never had anything besides RNY ... but for me, when food gets stuck it's a very tight feeling that instantly makes me push my plate away lol. I don't throw up and I don't get foamies like some other people. Most people I know, when food gets stuck - it just stays stuck for about 20-40 seconds and then it passes. Very few of them throw it up. My friend who has the band throws up nearly everytime food gets stuck.
HW: 366, SW: 342, GW: 165, Maintaining at: 185 (No longer tracking weight loss. Pregnant and due May 1, 2011!)

There are two primary choices in life; to accept conditions as they exist, or accept responsibility for changing them.

Most Active