Revision to a BPD

appledoozie
on 11/1/09 1:07 pm - Killen, AL
Hello,
I had gastric bypass 8 years ago, lost over 200 pounds but have gained most of it back over the years.  I'm hoping to have a revision and wanted to go with the DS.  However, when I went to one surgeon, he recommended the BPD saying the DS would have far more risk and possible complications involved since I had already had gastric bypass.
Has anyone been revised from a gastric bypass to the BPD and if so, how have you done?  Would you recommend it?  I would love to hear from anyone who can share their experience.
Thanks so much,

Cherie
StacysMom
on 11/1/09 1:42 pm, edited 11/1/09 1:42 pm
 What your doc said is correct.   It is a more complicated surgery to revise the RNY to the full DS.  But, there are doctors who have the experience and skill and do it routinely.  Your doc is probably not one of them.    I think what your doc wants to do is something more akin to the ERNY (a more distal RNY with more malabsorption).    That's not the DS!  

You really need to ask this on the DS forum, they are the experts and they will be happy to help you!  There are only a handful of docs in the world who can do a TRUE RNY to DS revision and, unless your doc is one of them, he's not being truthful .... he's being a salesman for his own practice.

When you got your surgery, the sleeve was not readily available, but more and more surgeons are adding it to their repertoire every day.   If someone gets the sleeve, revision to the DS is easy (well, if anyone an consider major surgery simple!).    And, while the full-on DS is a better choice for the SMO, the sleeve alone has proven to be effective for many.
shele
on 11/1/09 9:44 pm

please research some more!!! Find a doc that does all the revisions, They are not plentiful!

This is a decision that you need to find the best possible revision for YOU!!

Good Luck!!

shele
LiFeLoNg hEaLtH imY GoAl
RNY 5-11-04 280
Lowest weight 174
Highest re-gain 238

erny 3-23-09 (120 common channel

low post revision 190
Current Weight  204

Height 5'6"

GOAL 154 Normal BMI

JROLFSON
on 11/2/09 5:07 am - St. George, UT
Cherie:

Did this Dr. explain to you what a BPD is? I'm kind of thinking he's talking about the ERNY which is a shortening of the common channel...This gives you malabsorption...

Do you have any restriction left from your Gastric Bypass? If you don't then I would suggest going with a Revision to DS...but I would never consider such a revision unless you can go to a Dr. who specializes in just that type of Revision...It is serious, major surgery and comes with complications...but you cut these risk down by using a surgeon well versed in the procedure...

I have an ERNY and this was my 3rd Weight Loss Surgery. My surgery date was May 20th and I have lost 43 lbs to date...I started at 214 and today I weigh 171...

I began my weight loss journey in 1979 with a VBG and Revised to an RNY in 1989 after the stapling came apart and have revised to ERNY because I learned to over eat the surgery just like most of RNY'ers do....I don't have much Restriction left from my RNY and my Stoma is wide open so what I eat goes straight through...I would be better off with my normal stomach at least with it I could get full...Not with an open stoma you have a hard time getting full...But the increased malabsorption with the ERNY has been great for me...You must be very compliant with Protein and Vitamins...I just had my first lab report and everything was good but my Vit D and Vit A levels were a little low...So I've had to beef that up...There are other things to consider such as malabsorption gives you problems with oil slicks if you eat hi laden fat meals and carbs give you immense gas...You really do have to learn how to re-eat.

Hope this helps.

Janie
StacysMom
on 11/2/09 10:34 am
 Hey there Janie!

Congratulations on the weight loss!  Way to go!!
JROLFSON
on 11/3/09 1:04 am - St. George, UT
Hey thanks so much...Haven't seen you around much...course I haven't been around as much although I do get on and read weekly...

It's been a rough road these past weeks...Lost my Dad and He was my everything...we were very close...having some issues with closure...

The weight loss has been slow but steady...about 8 lbs a month in 5 months, average so far...Of course I've lost more in some months and less in others...

Revision this time around for me anyway has most definately been slower although they say that's a good thing...Not like my past surgeries where I was down 70 in the first 6 months.

When you lose that fast is when you have hair loss, dry skin all the icky things you hope not to have...so it's been great not experiencing any of that...

Thanks for the words of encouragement...

Janie
appledoozie
on 11/3/09 12:51 am - Killen, AL
Thanks to all of you *****sponded to my post.  As far as the ERNY surgery - the doctor didn't mention that to me, but I'm going to do as much research as I can. 
I do have some restriction left from my gastric bypass according to test results.  I do realize this is a big step to take, so I definitely want a surgeon who is competent and experienced in doing these revisions. 
Someone asked if Dr. Husted had advised me to have the BPD - no, I have talked with him concerning a DS and want to go with him, but I have been battling insurance for a year and a half now, and there doesn't seem to be an end in sight. 
So, I decided to see a doctor in Nashville, TN to get a third opinion, hoping this would help with insurance.  I saw Dr. Olsen and he seemed like a thorough and experienced surgeon, but it did throw me off a bit when he recommended the BPD.  I do have concerns for the risks and complications involved with having a DS, but the way I look at it is - this is my last chance, and I'm fighting for my life here, and I can't afford to make another mistake, as with my gastric bypass. 
Thanks again for your responses - I need all the information and help I can get. 

Cherie
JROLFSON
on 11/3/09 1:08 am - St. George, UT

You're so right...You should look at this as your last chance and have the best thing you can get...Go for Dr. Husted he is the best at DS...get it all right this time and get the best...Start writing letters to the insurance, camp on Dr. H's front doorstep...I understand they are somewhat difficult to get moving...the insurance and front desk girls that is...Email Dr. H personally...

Whatever you need to do to get this done by the best, do it! I wouldn't go to anyone else but him if I was revising to a DS...Don't settle for second best...

Good Luck...

Janie

vitalady
on 11/2/09 7:34 am - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
As everyone else said, the original BPD is not a DS. The intestinal arrangement is not the same, but the stomch is ginormous vs the sleeve of a DS. Please shop around some mroe.

I have the equivalent of an ERNY and have done well with it, but some would prefer to go all the way to a DS sleeve. Your choice, of course.

With any malabsorptive, the nutritional levels are controllable, but it's not a quickie fix.

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

P.S.  My year + long absence has NOTHING to do with my WLS, or my type of WLS. See my profile.

StacysMom
on 11/2/09 10:41 am
 Hello Vitalady!   I don't know you but have read a lot about you , as well as your posts on many forums and know you are a great help to so many people!   I have read your website and loved your blog about the "Vitatour"!   

I was under the impression that your surgery was called a "true distal" with a longer common channel than the typical ERNY (which seems to be what shortening the common channel on a proximal RNY is called as a "revision").

People seem to get confused when "true distals" compare themselves to revision ERNY's, so it's important to make the distinction.    The "true distals" typically have a result more closely related to an original DS, rather than an RNY'er who is revising to the ERNY.    

So I am curious if you were made distal from the start or if you had a revision to make you more distal and also wonder how long your common channel is.  

You are brilliant with the supplementation and I feel you know more about this subject than the majority of WLS doctors out there.
Most Active