What to bring for comfort to the hospital? Any tricks/tips for when I get home?

Amy F.
on 11/1/09 11:14 am
RNY on 11/17/09 with
I have my revision from band to gastric bypass on Nov. 17th, but wanted to know if anyone might have suggestions for smart things to bring with me for my hospital stay.

Also, anything that helps (tips/tricks) for when I get home in the two week recovery stage?  I was thinking about buying a body pillow for comfort (if I can sleep on my side, that is).

Thoughts?  I would really appreciate any feedback from those of you who went through this already or maybe those that have been told by their doctor?

Thanks in advance:)!

Amy

poet_kelly
on 11/1/09 11:21 am - OH
You don't need to take a lot to the hospital.  Wear something loose and comfortable there, like sweats, and wear the same thing home.  I just took my toothbrush, toothpaste, hairbrush, and slippers.  And I didn't even need that stuff, really.  They will have toothpaste and a toothbrush and stuff for you, but I just wanted my own.  Maybe take chapstick, because your mouth will be really dry and you might not get to drink anything for a while.

A body pillow at home might help.  I actually slept sitting up on the couch for the first week.  Which wasn't real comfortable, but was better than trying to lie down flat in bed.  A recliner would have been really nice, but I don't have one.

Kelly
Amy F.
on 11/1/09 11:36 am
RNY on 11/17/09 with
Thank you!!

Amy F.
on 11/2/09 2:28 am
RNY on 11/17/09 with
 Thanks!!!

amypat
on 11/1/09 6:54 pm
Hi Amy,

I had my revision from band to RNY on Monday.  I over packed as usual!!  The only things I used were my chap stick, slippers, hair brush, and clothes for the ride home.  One suggestion - I bought those new Colgate Wisps, waterless toothbrush things, and they worked great.  I could brush my teeth right in bed!  Of course it's not a good as a full brush, but it was fine for a hospital stay! 

Personally I'm just now able to attempt to sleep on my right side, with some discomfort. 

One more thing - maybe it was just me, but I was in A LOT more pain with this surgery than I was the band.  I was unpleasantly surprised.  I'm not trying to scare you, I'm just being honest.  Like I said, maybe it was just me.  But I had the surgery on Monday and couldn't lift myself up out of bed until late Thursday.  I had to have my hubby help with everything until then.

Good luck to you!
Amy F.
on 11/2/09 2:29 am
RNY on 11/17/09 with
 that is perfect and a great idea!!!  Thanks!

shele
on 11/1/09 9:06 pm

Lotion, Lip balm, slippers, hairbrush, face cream.

shele
LiFeLoNg hEaLtH imY GoAl
RNY 5-11-04 280
Lowest weight 174
Highest re-gain 238

erny 3-23-09 (120 common channel

low post revision 190
Current Weight  204

Height 5'6"

GOAL 154 Normal BMI

Amy F.
on 11/2/09 2:27 am
RNY on 11/17/09 with
 Thanks!!!

Angie T.
on 11/1/09 10:04 pm - Somewhere, NY
Hi Amy,
   First off, good luck with your surgery.  I am 7 days post-op Lapband to RNY. I feel wonderful.

I packed way too much and didnt need any of it!
I brought different kinds of PJ'S, warm ones, cool ones, pretty ones, pants, shorts, nightgowns..you get the picture. I stayed in the hospital gown the entire time, only to change back into the clothes I wore there to come home.

Although I had my own toothbrush/paste, I used the hospital's just because it was there and I didnt have to dig through my bag.

The one thing I did ask for from home after the second night was my own pillow. The hospital pillows are not comfortable and my own made a huge difference. By laying down (on my back) hour after hour, the back of my head was hurting more than my belly!

I didnt have pain, just a little bit of pinching at the larger insicion site while getting up/down. I took no pain meds. Gas was uncomfortable..but walking really did help to break it up. The nurses were getting me up every three hours, by the third day, I was getting up every two hours on my own.

I found a body pillow was comfortable for when I came home however, I was able to sleep on my side my first night home.
Again....best of luck to you :)

Kindness Matters  

Angie

Amy F.
on 11/2/09 2:23 am
RNY on 11/17/09 with
 I cannot thank you enough for all of your insight!  I really appreciate the information - and my own pillow at the hospital wasn't something I even thought of - good idea!

Best of luck with your continued success as well!  Please keep in touch - I would love to hear how things progress for you!

Amy

Most Active