Need Advice

LWilk
on 10/31/09 12:54 am, edited 10/31/09 6:58 am - Maumelle, AR

I had my lap band done in December 2007.  I have lost weight but then had to have the band deflated due to other suguries,gall bladder and female problems. I fact I went several months without the band tightened at all. I did gain weight and have since gone back to the doctor to have it tightened. My problem is I vomit all the time. even when I just eat broth. I was very sick yesterday throwing up about 10 times. Yes, I know eat slow but I am not eating food. I have been checked to see if my band had slipped because I throw up so much and the result is negative. THe DR can't seem to find what is the right amount for me. I am frustrated and there are days I wi**** was out. I have been throwing up for over a year now every time the band is tightened. I have lost count of how many times I have been sick today. I have taken a pain piull for the pain and phengran for the sickness.
Any advice?
LW
juliewilk
on 10/31/09 4:19 am - Novi, MI
HI L - wonder if we are related - I'm Julie Wilk from Michigan.  I had the band from 2006 - 9/28/2009.  After initial success, we could not get fill right.  Band position was bad also.  I would go 3-5 days without even drinking.  That's why I revised to RNY last month.
(deactivated member)
on 10/31/09 8:26 am - AZ
On October 31, 2009 at 7:54 AM Pacific Time, LWilk wrote:

I had my lap band done in December 2007.  I have lost weight but then had to have the band deflated due to other suguries,gall bladder and female problems. I fact I went several months without the band tightened at all. I did gain weight and have since gone back to the doctor to have it tightened. My problem is I vomit all the time. even when I just eat broth. I was very sick yesterday throwing up about 10 times. Yes, I know eat slow but I am not eating food. I have been checked to see if my band had slipped because I throw up so much and the result is negative. THe DR can't seem to find what is the right amount for me. I am frustrated and there are days I wi**** was out. I have been throwing up for over a year now every time the band is tightened. I have lost count of how many times I have been sick today. I have taken a pain piull for the pain and phengran for the sickness.
Any advice?
LW

Have you only had one fill since it was unfilled?  Could you just be too tight?

Honestly, it sounds a lot like band intolerance.  What you are describing is what life was like for me from the start except that I could either eat anything and everything or I couldn't keep my own spit down.  This is why soooooooo many people are revising to other surgery types.  I revised from band to sleeve after having the band for 18 months.

LWilk
on 10/31/09 8:56 am - Maumelle, AR
I was at a 2.25 and then went to a 3.25 this week and have been sick ever since that happened. I know the band is too tight.  However, in the last 18 months that DR has not be able to find the "sweet spot" for me. I am a self paying customer and this is very expensive each time I go. I am so weary of the whole process.
LW
(deactivated member)
on 10/31/09 9:03 am - AZ
On October 31, 2009 at 3:56 PM Pacific Time, LWilk wrote:
I was at a 2.25 and then went to a 3.25 this week and have been sick ever since that happened. I know the band is too tight.  However, in the last 18 months that DR has not be able to find the "sweet spot" for me. I am a self paying customer and this is very expensive each time I go. I am so weary of the whole process.
LW

Yep, band intolerance and no sweet spot.  I wouldn't spend anymore money on fills, it's not going to work.  I've been in your shoes and it's not fun.  If you can at least keep food down I'd go back to 2.25 and leave it there.  If you can't lose weight with that you are going to need a revision to another surgery type.  Your problem is very common.

pycca
on 11/1/09 7:12 am - Haslet, TX
Same here..... I cannot tolerate anything, I have had several different fillsm empty , then gradual fills, nothing keeps me from vomiting, likee you even liquids or spit....

edg  says it it looks wonderful,!! sooo it has come down to the eseophagus has spasms.  and is now not tolerant of being "choked" for a better word.  This does get old, and I have to self pay for my fills and unfills. 

So now I am trying to get a revision.  I will say have someone figure that out,  we have been trying med for spasms,  it has calmed it down tiny, but not to the point I feel like ai can't feel comfortable not having a bathroom around, and not in public,,,,

Good luck!!

Debi

Amy F.
on 11/1/09 11:02 am
RNY on 11/17/09 with
I too have had the same horrible experience - I couldn't keep anything down.  I could have the same meal on one day and it be fine and then next,  my first bite would make me sick.  I dealt with it for over  1 1/2 years and I am scheduled for my revision from band to gastric bypass on November 17th.  I highly recommend it - because keeping the band in (and inflated) could cause major damage to you in the long run (even if it doesn't slip).  

I am now on stomach acid medication because the lining in my esophagus was having issues with the band.

Best of luck and please keep in touch!

Amy

emjayel56
on 11/1/09 11:11 pm - Boynton Beach,, FL

I can surely relate to your problems.  I dealt with the same issues for nearly 9 years with two bands (had the first one replaced); while i had some initial success over the long haul it was a continual battle of too tight; too loose, etc.  Finally in August of this year I revised to RNY and am very happy.  Good luck to you.

maryjo

BELOW GOAL WEIGHT... LOST 151 LBS AND CURRENTLY WEIGH 138 LBS.  ... Maryjo

mari_juma
on 11/2/09 1:11 am - United Arab Emirates
 I'll be 7 years with the band this January. Have had the reflux and wake up in the middle of the night feeling like I'm drowning.  I've gained half my weight back and have been told that the band has moved and needs to be removed. I have yet to decide wether I'll do the By pass or the Sleeve. My doc recommends the Bypass. I weigh 225 lb so I am weary about the Bypass. He says it's the best because there is less chance of leaking and will most likely cure the reflux. We'll see. 

Good luck to you all and God bless
emjayel56
on 11/2/09 1:16 am - Boynton Beach,, FL

Mari,

I was in your shoes 2 months ago.  At 207 lbs I was very leery of the bypass but I can tell you that it was the best decision for me; I have no symptoms from the band (refulx, esophagus problems etc.) Lost more weight in the last 9 weeks than 9 years with the band.  Good luck with you decision.

maryjo

BELOW GOAL WEIGHT... LOST 151 LBS AND CURRENTLY WEIGH 138 LBS.  ... Maryjo

Most Active