Question regarding revision due to an ulcer....

Melissa N.
on 10/30/09 8:25 am - Stafford, VA
I am 16 months post RNY.  I have done beautifully.  I am 6'1 started off at 415 and lost 40 lbs prior to surgery and was 375.  Before two weeks ago I was down to 193.  My goal was 190 pre plastics and 175 post plastics, but would let my body set where it needs too.  Back in July I was scoped and found I have an ulcer. I was rescoped Sept 11 and found that the ulcer had gotten smaller and the inflmation went down dramatically.  Within the past month I went down hill.  Constant sharp pains and pains that would go into my back when I eat or drink.  Laying on my side would hurt.  Lifting would hurt.  Standing for long periods would hurt.  Needless to say, I am in contant pain and can not eat or drink.  I have lost about 10 lbs in two weeks.  

I got in to see my Gastronologist yesterday who is treating me for my ulcer.  He wasn't convinced 100% that it was my ulcer due to my symptoms but decided to go ahead and schedule me for a scope today.  He said if it come back as nothing there is not much he can do and will need to send me back tomy surgeon.

I decided to go ahead and schedule an appointment with my surgeon today just in case and they are getting me in on Monday.  I then left for my scope. My scope came back with the orginal ulcer larger and bleeding.  But that is not the one the Gastronologist is concerned about.  There is a new one that he said is deep in my intestonal wall.  Both ulcers are in the insttine.  The pouch is beautiful. He said he can not help me anymore and wants me back at my surgeon. (thank God I made that appointment) and is recomending a revision.

From what I have read the revision will most likly be removing some more of my instenise and make it more distal.  I am worried about this since I really can not lose more weight.  I am in a normal BMI now.  I have always lost weight on a consistant basis every month.  I have lost an average of 5lbs a month in these later months. 

Has anyone have any experience with this type of revision.

415/375/180/175
highest/surgery day/current/ goal

TABITHA39
on 11/3/09 6:38 am
wow your story sounds almost like mine. i had wls 12 years ago. recently i have had several problems my stoma to tight, ulcer. they put me on prev pac which makes me sick. i had three upper gi becuse i cant eat solids well. im having a revision but im 165 and 5'7. i had vertical banded gastroplasy im converting to rny the doc sAID HE WAS WORRIED ABOUT ME LOSING TO MUCH EIGHT SO THERE GONNA INSERT A FEEDING TUBE JST IN CASE I DONT EAT. I WISH YOU LUCK  DONT REALLY HAVE A ANSWER FOR YOU BUT IM TELLING YOU WHAT MYDOC SAID. ALSO HE SAID THEY MAY CUT THAT ULCER OUT SO I DONT KNOW. GOD BLESS AND GOOD LUCK
Most Active