Lap Band to DS

jazzy31
on 10/28/09 12:33 am
Hello All,

I'm looking for anyone who has revised from Lap band to DS.  I had lap band 3 years ago and I'm now considering a revision to DS.  I've actually been approved for it, but now I still have a few questions and I really would love to hear from somone who has had this experience and would not mind sharing with me. 

3 years ago I was so afraid to get anything more invasive than lap band, but now as I look back I understand that because I have at least 100 lbs to lose I should have went for something more.  I can just kick myself.  I wish I had not been so afraid.  Now I feel like a loser to go back and do it again.  I don't know how to talk about it with my family and friends. 

Based on my research DS is the best option for me.  I keep hearing that those who have revisions will not be as succcessful as those who had it done their first time.  I'm sorry i'm just worried and really want to talk with someone who might understand.

The good news is that I'm very committed to my health.  I've set a goal for myself to get down to 280 prior to surgery.  I've lost 18 lbs by really eating right and working out.  I'm happy to say that I can now stay on the eliptical machine for 30 mins.  I never thought I'd see that day.  I have another 14 lbs to go.  I'm so proud of myself but I know I still need help to reach my ideal weight.   

Sorry it was sort of long, but I kinda feel a little better now that I've told someone how I'm feeling inside.  Thank you for your time.
(deactivated member)
on 10/28/09 1:03 am - AZ
On October 28, 2009 at 7:33 AM Pacific Time, jazzy31 wrote:
Hello All,

I'm looking for anyone who has revised from Lap band to DS.  I had lap band 3 years ago and I'm now considering a revision to DS.  I've actually been approved for it, but now I still have a few questions and I really would love to hear from somone who has had this experience and would not mind sharing with me. 

3 years ago I was so afraid to get anything more invasive than lap band, but now as I look back I understand that because I have at least 100 lbs to lose I should have went for something more.  I can just kick myself.  I wish I had not been so afraid.  Now I feel like a loser to go back and do it again.  I don't know how to talk about it with my family and friends. 

Based on my research DS is the best option for me.  I keep hearing that those who have revisions will not be as succcessful as those who had it done their first time.  I'm sorry i'm just worried and really want to talk with someone who might understand.

The good news is that I'm very committed to my health.  I've set a goal for myself to get down to 280 prior to surgery.  I've lost 18 lbs by really eating right and working out.  I'm happy to say that I can now stay on the eliptical machine for 30 mins.  I never thought I'd see that day.  I have another 14 lbs to go.  I'm so proud of myself but I know I still need help to reach my ideal weight.   

Sorry it was sort of long, but I kinda feel a little better now that I've told someone how I'm feeling inside.  Thank you for your time.

Congrats to you!

You are going to do well!  I think most people need malabsorption to do well.  I consider myself nothing short of lucky lucky lucky that I can do it with restriction alone.  It is not me, it is luck.  Pure and simple.

I know the fears of revision.  I had a band, they suck, eh?  I think the people that can do it with the band and maintain are few and far between.  Get your DS, get your life back!

The people that lose slowly are those that are metabolically challenged.  Those that lost all their weight and regained all their weight.  You are going to do well!

I'm not band to DS, I am band to sleeve.  But if I ever need malabsorption in the future it will be your choice, DS.

Good for you, you are taking control of your life!  That's a good thing!

tommydogsdad
on 10/31/09 4:01 pm
 Hi There!

I had my revision from Lap Band to Sleeve this past Tuesday.  I had a complication.  My Band had created scarred tissue around the band and caused swelling.  I had a tube put down my throat for a day.  It was very unpleasant.  I would still do it again.

My recovery has been rough.  I will say the area that hurts the most is where my port was.  Apparently they must have ripped that puppy right out!  It's VERY sore and tender in that area.

I already feel better though!  I no longer have "cramping" like I immediately did after the Band Surgery.  I also have not thrown up since the day of the sleeve surgery.  I threw up daily, for the past 3 years with the band.

I highly recommend it.

neacres100
on 11/4/09 2:26 am - NJ
Hi Jazzy,

First and foremost, you are not alone.

I have not gone through that revision yet, however, that is what I am going for eventually.  I am a lap band person, who was also afraid (back then) of going through any major weight loss surgery.  I went with the lap band.  Right now, I am trying to find a surgeon that will remove this thing out of my stomach, because it has eroded into my stomach.  I have fevers.  My abdomen is warm to touch and at times the pain is so bad, I can't even walk, just the vibrations of walking hurts. 

I already have a surgeon ready for the DS procedure, however, he's not doing any clinical until 2010, otherwise he would be doing the band and port removal and repair of my stomach.   He says I need antibiotics and the removal needs to be done now.  He gave me a bariatric surgeons name in my area.  I called them, that surgeon won't even touch me because he didn't put the band in and he's not taking new patients.  So I'm back to square one, trying to find an experienced surgeon that has done lap band and port removals laproscopically. 

It has not been an easy road for me.  But, I am not giving up.  My DS surgeon that after my band/port removal, I will have to wait 6 months before he will do the DS because of the infection that I apparently have inside.  He said the fevers are coming on becuase of the infection. 

So, hopefully, by  May 2010, I will be on the road with DS and I am so looking forward to it all.

If you have any more questions about what I'm going through, please feel free to contact me.

Good luck to you.

Donna
Most Active