RNY vs The Sleeve? also, does UHC cover it?

Misty T.
on 10/26/09 3:18 pm
So, I have been apvd for revision from Lapband to RNY. Scheduled for 11/12. However, today, I visited with my surgeon and what we previously thougt was impossible, today seems possible.  Here's my delimma.  I had to have my LB removed due to SEVERE reflux.  Prior to my emergency removal, we had discussed revision options  The sleeve was ruled out due to the horrible reflux I had with my LB, so we decided on RNY. I have not had one episode of reflux since my band removal in April. Today at my consult, we talked about this and she decided that we could do an upper GI and if all is clear, I could get the sleeve. (probably reflux due to lapband)  THOUGHTS?  Anyone have reflux after the sleeve that didn't have it before?  Also, anyone know if United Health Care covers the sleeve now? Thanks for your input!
Misty
One door closed, another one opened.  Ready to begin my second WLS journey on December 3. Hopefully second time around will be the right time around!

jeanyjane
on 10/27/09 8:00 am, edited 10/27/09 8:00 am - Germany
Post this on the sleeve board, you`ll get more attention and answers there.
I can`t help with personal experience, but I think the sleeve is a much better surgery then the RNY and from that point of view, it might be worth the risk (in my non-medical, totally personal opinion, of course).
mari_juma
on 11/1/09 11:59 pm - United Arab Emirates
 Hi dontwannagefatagain,

I'm pretty much in the same predicament.  I weigh about 225lb at 5"3". I need revisional surgery from the Lapband and my Dr. recommends (pushes) the Gastric bypass due to my 4 year history of reflux and regurgitation. I've have the band 7 years in January. He also says that due to the location of the band the best thing is to get the BP. He says that the Sleeve increases the chances of leakage and delayed healing and that it won't help my reflux. If only I could get a straight answer.

Thanks for letting me vent. Good luck with your decision. Go to the Sleeve forum. they are very helpful.
Ms Shell
on 11/2/09 1:49 am - Hawthorne, CA
First off let me say YES I am biased and love my sleeve.

I know there are alot of folks out there with sleeves that about 50/50 have reflux problems so it's not entirely true.  I also know of a couple band to RnY revisions who specifically had the RnY because they were told it would make their reflux better, it didn't and they have suffered terribly since revision.  They don't even post anymore.

Whatever you decide I wish you healing and health!

"WLS is only for people who are ready to move past the "diet" mentality" ~Alison Brown
"WLS is not a Do-Over (repeat same mistakes = get a similar outcome.)  It is a Do-BETTER (make lifestyle changes you can continue forever.)" ~ Michele Vicara aka Eggface

Most Active