Protein recommendations.....

mew6495
on 10/25/09 3:29 am - MI
 Hi all,

My schedule takes me away from home for much of the day and traveling on other days.....I am looking for a protein powder that mixes well with water/milk and taste good as well.  It has to mix up in a shaker as I do not have access to a blender.  Any suggestions?

Thanks!

USAF Wife
on 10/25/09 4:08 am
I am seriously the pickiest, most stubborn protein person in the universe, and have tried and hated 21 different brands and flavors until NOW.

Whey Optimum
http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/opt/whey.html

We order it from this site because even with shipping it's cheaper than our GNC on base with no tax, and our Gold Card discount. We like the Extreme Milk Chocolate flavor. There is a 16 pack sample pack available so you can try all the flavors to determine which one is good for you. I've recommended this to several people who absolutely love it, and won't go back to any other protein.

My husband was deployed for the last 6 months, and they worked out a bunch to help pass the time. He used this as a recovery protein, and swore by the stuff. I decided to cave in and give it a whirl.

It tastes like Swiss Miss Light Hot Chocolate. Mixes in shaker with no foaming or frothing, there is absolutely zero texture, and we mix it with filtered tap water. There is no aftertaste, grittiness, or funky protein powder smell.

Here's the nutritional information:

1 Lbs. Extreme Milk Chocolate
Supplement Facts
Serving Size1Rounded Scoop(32g)
Servings Per Container14

Amount Per Serving  

Calories 130  
Calories From Fat 15  

% Daily Value*

Total Fat 1.5g 2%
Saturated Fat 0.5g 3%
Trans Fat 0g  
Cholesterol 30mg 10%
Sodium 100mg 4%
Total Carbohydrate 4g 1%
Sugars 1g  
Protein 24g  

Vitamin A   0%
Vitamin C   0%
Calcium   10%
Iron   2%

Not a Significant Source of Dietary Fiber
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Ingredients
Protein Blend(Whey Protein Isolate, Whey Protein Concentrate, Whey Peptides), Cocoa(Processed With Alkali), Natural And Artificial Flavors, Lecithin, Creamer(Sunflower Oil, Maltodextrin, Modified Food Starch, Di-Potassium Phosphate, Tri-Calcium Phosphate, Tocopherols), Salt, Acesulfame Potassium, Aminogen®, Sucralose.

ALLERGEN INFORMATION: Contains Milk And Soy (Lecithin) Ingredients.
Typical Amino Acid Profile (Miligrams Per Serving)  

Essential Amino Acids (EAAs)

Tryptophan 405  
Valine 1422  
Threonine 1654  
Isoleucine 1573  
Leucine 2531  
Lysine 2233  
Phenylalanine 748  
Methionine 492  

Conditionally Essential Amino Acids (CAAs)

Arginine 505  
Cystine 494  
Tyrosine 703  
Histidine 423  
Proline 1509  
Glutamine & Precursors 4082  

Nonessential Amino Acids (NAAs)

Aspartic Acid 2508  
Serine 1126  
Glycine 412  
Alanine 1180  

Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

mew6495
on 10/25/09 9:52 am - MI
On October 25, 2009 at 11:08 AM Pacific Time, Tiffany K. wrote:
I am seriously the pickiest, most stubborn protein person in the universe, and have tried and hated 21 different brands and flavors until NOW.

Whey Optimum
http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/opt/whey.html

We order it from this site because even with shipping it's cheaper than our GNC on base with no tax, and our Gold Card discount. We like the Extreme Milk Chocolate flavor. There is a 16 pack sample pack available so you can try all the flavors to determine which one is good for you. I've recommended this to several people who absolutely love it, and won't go back to any other protein.

My husband was deployed for the last 6 months, and they worked out a bunch to help pass the time. He used this as a recovery protein, and swore by the stuff. I decided to cave in and give it a whirl.

It tastes like Swiss Miss Light Hot Chocolate. Mixes in shaker with no foaming or frothing, there is absolutely zero texture, and we mix it with filtered tap water. There is no aftertaste, grittiness, or funky protein powder smell.

Here's the nutritional information:

1 Lbs. Extreme Milk Chocolate
Supplement Facts
Serving Size1Rounded Scoop(32g)
Servings Per Container14

Amount Per Serving  

Calories 130  
Calories From Fat 15  

% Daily Value*

Total Fat 1.5g 2%
Saturated Fat 0.5g 3%
Trans Fat 0g  
Cholesterol 30mg 10%
Sodium 100mg 4%
Total Carbohydrate 4g 1%
Sugars 1g  
Protein 24g  

Vitamin A   0%
Vitamin C   0%
Calcium   10%
Iron   2%

Not a Significant Source of Dietary Fiber
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Ingredients
Protein Blend(Whey Protein Isolate, Whey Protein Concentrate, Whey Peptides), Cocoa(Processed With Alkali), Natural And Artificial Flavors, Lecithin, Creamer(Sunflower Oil, Maltodextrin, Modified Food Starch, Di-Potassium Phosphate, Tri-Calcium Phosphate, Tocopherols), Salt, Acesulfame Potassium, Aminogen®, Sucralose.

ALLERGEN INFORMATION: Contains Milk And Soy (Lecithin) Ingredients.
Typical Amino Acid Profile (Miligrams Per Serving)  

Essential Amino Acids (EAAs)

Tryptophan 405  
Valine 1422  
Threonine 1654  
Isoleucine 1573  
Leucine 2531  
Lysine 2233  
Phenylalanine 748  
Methionine 492  

Conditionally Essential Amino Acids (CAAs)

Arginine 505  
Cystine 494  
Tyrosine 703  
Histidine 423  
Proline 1509  
Glutamine & Precursors 4082  

Nonessential Amino Acids (NAAs)

Aspartic Acid 2508  
Serine 1126  
Glycine 412  
Alanine 1180  

Tiffany...THANK YOU SO MUCH for your reply and especially the nutrition information.  I am definitely going to try it out.  I have found a few brands  that I can tolerate but they do not mix well with just a shaker and I find myself falling short on my daily intake.

Thanks again.
MEW

shele
on 10/25/09 9:04 am
I love unjury chocolate... mixes well in a tupperware shaker!!

shele
LiFeLoNg hEaLtH imY GoAl
RNY 5-11-04 280
Lowest weight 174
Highest re-gain 238

erny 3-23-09 (120 common channel

low post revision 190
Current Weight  204

Height 5'6"

GOAL 154 Normal BMI

mew6495
on 10/25/09 9:59 am - MI
On October 25, 2009 at 4:04 PM Pacific Time, shele wrote:
I love unjury chocolate... mixes well in a tupperware shaker!!
 Hey Shele,

How have you been lately?  How's the healing?  I sure hope your infection is under control now and improving.

I have used the unjury flavorless and put it in my coffee and such.  The only problem I have with it is the smell.  It turns me off big time.  I will have to give the chocolate a whirl and see if it is any different.

Thank you for your reply.  I so appreciate it.  Hope things are getting better for you.

MEW

shele
on 10/25/09 8:24 pm

I do not like the unflavored either. Never could get past the smell.  I'm pretty sure Jerome will send samples to try. 

I am all healed up and doing fine. The dr. said I am a fast healer as they thought it would take longer than it did to heal. All I say is God is good!!!

Have a good one!

shele
LiFeLoNg hEaLtH imY GoAl
RNY 5-11-04 280
Lowest weight 174
Highest re-gain 238

erny 3-23-09 (120 common channel

low post revision 190
Current Weight  204

Height 5'6"

GOAL 154 Normal BMI

woolstitcher
on 10/26/09 12:17 am - OH
Not a powder but it's great on the go.
I use Boost Glucose Control.  I pack it in a zip lock bag w/ an ice pack.  It's better cold than warm.

16 gms of protein
"Mom, in our house every day is Autism Awareness Day"
~my 9 year old w/ ASD
Linda .
on 10/29/09 11:20 am - Gilroy, CA

I buy different fruity flavors from www.lindora.com and www.mydietsplanz.com .  They all mix easily and taste good.

My favorite is Isopure Orange-Banana-Pineapple.

I buy GNC unflavored whey protein to add to other stuff.  I even have my bf addicted to it.

I buy Savory Choice chicken, beef, turkey, and vege flavored broth packets from www.amazon.com.  They look like ketchup packets.  Each packet makes one cup of broth.  Add a half scoop of unflavored whey protein for a tasty and satisfying boost.

Angie T.
on 10/30/09 3:31 am - Somewhere, NY
EAS makes a protein shake that is called Myoplex lite. It comes in ready made containers. I have bought it at Sams, Wal mart, GNC
11 oz contains:

170 Cal
2 gms fat
5 gms fiber
1 gm sugar
20 gms protein

I've had the chocolate fudge and vanilla. The choc reminds me of yoo hoo. It is really good and convienent. the colder the better, so maybe you can keep in a small cooler/lunch bag with ice. Good luck to you

Kindness Matters  

Angie

mew6495
on 10/30/09 7:44 am - MI
 Thank you all!  I never would have known about half of these.....  This is one of the reasons I love this board.  Everyone is so willing to share their info and support!

Thanks again!

Most Active