Band over Bypass

snedly318
on 10/22/09 3:26 pm - Mine Hill, NJ

Hello!  I am a former Bariatric Nurse and am an RNY post-op.  My surgery was 5 years ago.  I lost 114 and have since (following an extended illness) regained 50.  I was planning on the ROSE procedure, but my surgeon recommended the Band over Bypass option.  I am scheduled for my surgery on 11/24 (yes, two days before Thanksgiving....my family is dreading this years menu ...  lol!!)  Anyway, I was wondering if there are any Band over Bypass post-ops out there with any words of experience, encouragement, etc.  My insurance says I can have a covered revision, now they actually have to pre-auth the actual procedure.  The key is to prove that there was a failure of the original WLS, I recently had a diagnotic EGD (endoscopy) which indicated that my anastomosis is more than double what it should be so I think we have proven that anatomically the anastomosis is outside post-op dimensions.  I hope that placates Aetna.  But I would really like to hear about patient experiences......

Snedly318
maas66
on 10/23/09 4:09 am
hello, 1st i want to wish you the best of luck on your upcoming revision.  I to had the band over bypass orig surg was 5/22/03 and i had my revision 9/2/09 other than being use to eating normal foods before revision now i throw up alot i am a very nervous eater , i have 2 little ones screaming in your face at dinner does not help i need to learn to control my anxiety. but thank god i switched doctors and he took care of the 1st dr. mess ups.  i am very happy i did the revision i lost 16lbs since 9/2 but i need to go for my 1st fill the begining of november i am starting to feel like i am eating a little to much. but other than that its a breeze compared to the RNY  in 2003.  good luck and best wishes hang in there its easier for the band over bypass( i think) but beware of what you eat and how much. 
(deactivated member)
on 10/24/09 7:05 am - San Diego, CA
Hi there!  I had maintained a 115 lb weight loss for 7 years after my original RNY and then gained back 50+ lbs due to my poor eating habits and food/drink choices. 

After much research on my various options, I had my BOB (band-over-bypass) on 5/28/09 and have lost 50 lbs in 5 months! I reached my goal weight last Saturday.  I have documented my journey in detail in my blogs on my profile page.  Please feel free to read them and let me know if you have any questions at all, okay?

I LOVE MY BOB!  Best thing I ever did... :)

beth brown
on 10/26/09 5:42 pm - Marshall, MO
Hello ,

I was just reading your post and I have also been thinking of having the BOB...how cute , I had never heard that term.

i am 6yrs out and 2 kids later and I have gained almost 100 lbs back only 40 from were I started. My question to you is did your sergron give you a certain amount with the band that you could loose or would be restricted to ? again congrats and I just pray that I can get something done here soon.

Thanks, Beth
(deactivated member)
on 10/27/09 3:59 am - San Diego, CA
On October 27, 2009 at 12:42 AM Pacific Time, Beulah wrote:
Hello ,

I was just reading your post and I have also been thinking of having the BOB...how cute , I had never heard that term.

i am 6yrs out and 2 kids later and I have gained almost 100 lbs back only 40 from were I started. My question to you is did your sergron give you a certain amount with the band that you could loose or would be restricted to ? again congrats and I just pray that I can get something done here soon.

Thanks, Beth
Hi there,

No, my surgeon told me that if I followed the rules, I could lose all of my excess weight.  The time it took could vary, he did say...everyone is different in that regard.  But I listened to him to a tee and the weight came off rather quickly. My surgeon is pleasantly surprised that I had such great results so quickly since he considered me a "lightweight" (less than 40 BMI).  I really made the BOB work for me and still follow the strict rules daily.

I am very pleased with my revision surgery results.  Please let me know if you have any other questions and best of luck to you!

-Lisa

pepsi98
on 10/31/09 6:38 am - Norwich, CT
On October 27, 2009 at 10:59 AM Pacific Time, LisaBeezee wrote:
On October 27, 2009 at 12:42 AM Pacific Time, Beulah wrote:
Hello ,

Thanks, Beth
Hi there,

No, my surgeon told me that if I followed the rules, I could lose all of my excess weight.  The time it took could vary, he did say...everyone is different in that regard.  But I listened to him to a tee and the weight came off rather quickly. My surgeon is pleasantly surprised that I had such great results so quickly since he considered me a "lightweight" (less than 40 BMI).  I really made the BOB work for me and still follow the strict rules daily.

I am very pleased with my revision surgery results.  Please let me know if you have any other questions and best of luck to you!

-Lisa

I also had BOB and am doing just ok due to a series of unrelated medical events!!  I would recommend it!
 "The Joy of the Lord is your strength."  Nehemiah 8:10

START:  330         CURRENT:  274.5 lbs         GOAL:  190          TOTAL:  55.5 lbs

snedly318
on 10/31/09 3:13 pm - Mine Hill, NJ
Thanks for your posts .  I am not nervous about my upcoming BOB surgery.  I am just a bit concerned that I don't have the same fear of food that I did after my bypass.  I mean dumping b/c of sugar isn't an issue anymore as I seem to have proven that I can eat sugar withouth dumping (not that I am blaming the medication but I found myself sleep eating while taking Ambien - even hubby's candy bars- -which he won't get rid of--I am no longer on Ambien - - anyway, I found that I could eat 24 grams of sugar and so occasionally push the limits because I know I can. I kinda want the initial RNY post-op fear of dumping back again.  But it's gone.  And now it's totally up to me and self-control as opposed to fear. 

Does the hunger go away with the BOB like it did early after the bypass?  I am so hungry all the time.  They say that is because I have an anastomosis that is more than double the size it was surgically - - the surgeon said the sutures used 5 years ago were different and alluded that that may account for my "mechanical failure" of the bypass.  Anyway, I don't want to be hungry anymore.

Just found out that Aetna's usual and customary of out of network surgeon for the BOB is 70% of up to $999.50.....I am appalled that Aetna could get away with trying to pay less than 10% of the cost of the surgeon.  I have met my out of pocket maximum and beleive that they should be paying more!!

Thanks for letting me vent!!!

Karen
aka Snedly318
Snedly318
Most Active