Being accountable

Barbara C.
on 10/23/09 10:37 pm - Raleigh, NC
I think that 'accountability' is one of the cornerstones that will help shore up our long term success. What works for one person, doesn't necessarily work for another. What do you do to hold yourself accountable?

Barbara
ObesityHelp Coach and Support Group Leader
http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/bcumbo_group/
High-264, Current-148, Goal-145

Barbara C.
on 10/23/09 10:43 pm - Raleigh, NC

I get on the scale every morning... and that's a big change. There were years when I didn't even have a scale. It's important for me to 'know' what I weigh. My weight shifts or swings within about a 3 to 5 pound range... meaning my normal weight is 145, so I may go down to 142 or up to 148, but I normally stay at about 144/146. If my weight gets above 146, I start keeping a closer eye on what I'm eating and how much by logging my intake... It usually shows me the error of my ways and I make the necessary corrections and the weight drops back down to where it should be.

I wear pedometer... This gives me an awareness of how much I am or am not moving. I have to say that I'm much more inclined to walk farther, take the stairs, etc., when I have my pedometer on and can see the steps racking up. I try to get at least 10K steps in a day. Some days it doesn't happen, but at least I'm aware and work to get moving more. 

I wear fitted clothes... I've been going through my old stuff as I've been packing it up to sell, donate, etc... and while I did have a few 'fitted' pieces, the overwhelming number of items in my closet had an elastic waist or loose fit that would allow my weight to fluctuate significantly without being able to 'feel' it. Now, my wardrobe is overwhelmingly fitted. I only have a few pieces that are loose or have an elastic waist and to be honest, most of those are PJs or exercise wear.  Believe it or not, now I can 'feel' a 5 lb change in the way my fitted clothes fit.

Barbara

(deactivated member)
on 10/24/09 6:59 am - San Diego, CA
I weigh myself at 7:00 a.m. every morning without fail.

I log everything that goes into my mouth (yes, EVERYTHING) in a hard-copy food journal that I keep in my purse.  I need to be able to track trends in my food habits v. weight loss.

Great post Barbara!

Barbara C.
on 10/24/09 8:04 am - Raleigh, NC

Hi Lisa,

It looks like you really have a program in place to help you remain successful.

Wishing you all the best,

Barbara

Lucy B.
on 10/24/09 3:05 pm
Scales Scales!!! I weigh every morning first thing! Now that I am at goal.. I didn't go scale crazy during my weight loss phase but I sure do now.... If I see the scale creeping up I change things up and presto back to where I want to be...  I make sure I get my all Protein in first Then I can enjoy just about anything I would like too.. Just much smaller portions of course.. I do enjoy some carbs now that I am in maintenance mode.. But I don't go crazy with them but if I do I don't feel guilty about it like I have all my life. Before my DS but like I said if the scales start creeping up I just cut back and keep protein first and So far So Good!!

WLS was the Best decision I have ever made for myself and I will not take it for granted! I enjoy my life now and I will not go back to where I came from and with the DS It just helps me be reassured that I won't..

Oh and I have cut out any sugary Drinks!! That was a huge problem for me pre-op... That is really the only thing that I can say I have cut out and will not get back in to that habit ever again...

And I am very compliant with my supplements and will for Life!!

Lucy

Barbara C.
on 10/24/09 10:05 pm - Raleigh, NC

Hi Lucy,

Your response sounds almost like I could have written it, with one minor exception. I have to admit that I constantly got on the scales even when I was losing weight. Other than that, our experiences sound so similar. I find that if I do gain and I take a look at what I'm doing, I'm taking in too many carbs and not enough protien. As soon as I flip it, presto the extra couple of pounds slide off. Like you, I want to and am able to enjoy just about anything I want without feeling guilty or deprived... especially since I really can have just about anything I want, in moderation of course. 

Like you, I think that WLS was the best decision I've ever made for myself and I don't take it for granted either... I think that is important.

I think that your comment about your suppliments is an important one... Those of us who have a malabsorbtive procedure really need to be vigilent about supplimentation compliance...  I'm so glad that your DS has given you the tool to have the life you want, deserve and can now enjoy.

Wishing you continued success in journey!

Barbara

Most Active