RNY reversals? How about Revisions? Who was your surgeon?

StacysMom
on 10/26/09 4:41 pm, edited 10/26/09 4:44 pm
 Hey there Diana!  

Schlesinger will probably do the ol' "bait & switch"  on this patient like he pulled on all those patients back in the summer of 2008.   He (mis)led them to believe that they were flying across the country for a revision from RNY to DS, but got the ERNY instead, with no work to the pouch at all.   And, remember when he told Kerry (from the DS board) all that misinformation about the DS to try and turn him off to it because he doesn't do the RNY to DS revision?  Kerry went elsewhere to a doctor who has a lot of experience reconstructing the stomach and got his DS.

Maybe he's telling this patient that he will reconstruct her pouch back into a working stomach and then when she wakes up from the anesthesia he'll inform her that he couldn't do it because she had "too much scar tissue"  (which may or may not be true).  He'll probably ONLY put back her intestines the way they were before her RNY.  Bottom line:  he doesn't reconstruct the pouch back into a working stomach.    He convinces patients that it is too "dangerous" and "risky" for them.   And, it probably is -- in HIS hands.

Meanwhile, there are other doctors across the U.S. and Europe who do it routinely.    If someone wants an honest opinion on a type of surgery, they need to go to someone  who actually DOES the surgery in question!   With the economic downturn there is fierce competition for patients.    Medicine is a business like any other and even doctors manipulate the truth to serve their own purposes!

Why be a guinea pig for some doctor to practice his skills on?   An odd choice to make in my book!
Diane G.
on 10/27/09 3:17 pm - Smithtown, NY
RNY on 07/25/05 with
Ragarone...it sounds like we are living parallel lives with this.  Have you had weight gain?
GreaterFool
on 10/28/09 1:05 am
I know everyone and their dog have posted on this thread to convey to you everything from information to fuel and a match.

You DO realized that prior to surgery you had a perfectly operating digestive system, and that the purpose of the RNY was, in effect, to break it.  Because you chose to break it, you need to take suppliments and other stuff to compensate.  Unfortunately for you, it seems your RNY turned out over aggressive and broke your digestive system too much, which is bad luck for you.

I don't see how a revision (Breaking your RNY more or differently or both) will help your situation, in fact, I don't see how it won't make it worse.  Revising to a different surgery might work out better in the long run if you choose the right surgery.  Since Malabsorbtion seems to be your issue, revising to a DS, or any other malabsorbtive procedure would be a bad choice with your existing issues.  IF you are contemplating to revising to a more malabsorbtive procedure with the issues and dislikes you've described, I would hope there is a psych eval somewhere in the process for you to fail.  Revising to a strictly restrictive surgery might be workable, but I don't know how difficult this is, see next paragraph.

Reversal can be a tuffy.  Go in your living room and break a vase (or something equally fragile), then glue it back together.  Doesn't quite look the same, and it doesn't hold water as well, right?  Well, it's sorta the same with taking down an RNY, they can restore everything the way it was, pretty much, except for scar tissue, peices that have been unreparably damaged, etc.  You gotta remember your body has made changes in the seven years since the RNY to deal with the issues you created.  Taking down the RNY may leave you with something that looks like a normally working stomach, but there will likely still be some issues to deal with.

Some upthread mentioned the Pyloric Valve, and wondered if it would still work.  I asked my surgeon about this a few months ago out of pure curiosity.  It turns out that while we aren't using the Pyloric valve like we used to, it is still active and short of any disease process, would still be working at 100% efficiency (or whatever % it was for you pre-op).

As for the Micronutrient issue you raise, even non-ops face possible issues there.  the solution is a simple one: variety.  Eat a variety of  food and you'll consume your micronutrients.  This was one of the risks we took when we broke our digestive systems.  I'm bypassed very little, so this will likely be less of an issue for me than those with big bypasses.  I'm also betting that micronutrient absorbtion would be later in the process, after our system has digested and absorbed the bulk, making them easier to get at.

I don't know if you attacked anyone, or simply have been down these paths before and have the responses ready.  You are likely frustrated, and that can come out on the internet looking very different.  If this is the case, take a moment to thank everyone that has tried to help and appoligize for the wrong impression you may have given.  If it's not the case and you are a jerk, it won't be any easier going through this alone and I wish you the best of luck.
JRinAZ
on 10/28/09 8:38 am - Layton, UT
On October 28, 2009 at 8:05 AM Pacific Time, GreaterFool wrote:
I know everyone and their dog have posted on this thread to convey to you everything from information to fuel and a match.

You DO realized that prior to surgery you had a perfectly operating digestive system, and that the purpose of the RNY was, in effect, to break it.  Because you chose to break it, you need to take suppliments and other stuff to compensate.  Unfortunately for you, it seems your RNY turned out over aggressive and broke your digestive system too much, which is bad luck for you.

I don't see how a revision (Breaking your RNY more or differently or both) will help your situation, in fact, I don't see how it won't make it worse.  Revising to a different surgery might work out better in the long run if you choose the right surgery.  Since Malabsorbtion seems to be your issue, revising to a DS, or any other malabsorbtive procedure would be a bad choice with your existing issues.  IF you are contemplating to revising to a more malabsorbtive procedure with the issues and dislikes you've described, I would hope there is a psych eval somewhere in the process for you to fail.  Revising to a strictly restrictive surgery might be workable, but I don't know how difficult this is, see next paragraph.

Reversal can be a tuffy.  Go in your living room and break a vase (or something equally fragile), then glue it back together.  Doesn't quite look the same, and it doesn't hold water as well, right?  Well, it's sorta the same with taking down an RNY, they can restore everything the way it was, pretty much, except for scar tissue, peices that have been unreparably damaged, etc.  You gotta remember your body has made changes in the seven years since the RNY to deal with the issues you created.  Taking down the RNY may leave you with something that looks like a normally working stomach, but there will likely still be some issues to deal with.

Some upthread mentioned the Pyloric Valve, and wondered if it would still work.  I asked my surgeon about this a few months ago out of pure curiosity.  It turns out that while we aren't using the Pyloric valve like we used to, it is still active and short of any disease process, would still be working at 100% efficiency (or whatever % it was for you pre-op).

As for the Micronutrient issue you raise, even non-ops face possible issues there.  the solution is a simple one: variety.  Eat a variety of  food and you'll consume your micronutrients.  This was one of the risks we took when we broke our digestive systems.  I'm bypassed very little, so this will likely be less of an issue for me than those with big bypasses.  I'm also betting that micronutrient absorbtion would be later in the process, after our system has digested and absorbed the bulk, making them easier to get at.

I don't know if you attacked anyone, or simply have been down these paths before and have the responses ready.  You are likely frustrated, and that can come out on the internet looking very different.  If this is the case, take a moment to thank everyone that has tried to help and appoligize for the wrong impression you may have given.  If it's not the case and you are a jerk, it won't be any easier going through this alone and I wish you the best of luck.
Once in a while I pause for a second and notice that someone has really written something outstanding.  Your post caught me like that.   
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

mew6495
on 10/28/09 9:09 am - MI
On October 28, 2009 at 8:05 AM Pacific Time, GreaterFool wrote:

Well said GreaterFool!  Kudos to you for being adult in mind, kind in spirit and supporting with useful information.  Those of us who use the boards for these purposes appreciate it greatly!

(deactivated member)
on 10/28/09 1:07 am - AZ
Most Active