I should have introduced myself...

Davina S.
on 10/22/09 11:50 am - Naperville, IL
Hi...

I recently posted about Medicare, but now I am just more interested in the issue itself.  I have regained almost half of my weight after my RNY surgery 8 years ago.  I was extremely successful for several years, but then an unfortunate turn of events sent me on a slide backwards.  Even after installing the Lap Band, I have not recovered.

I am scared, and frustrated, and feel quite helpless.  I am going to see the Lap Band doc tomorrow to discuss the possibility of RNY revision surgery.  We touched on it before we did the Lap Band, but since that has not helped I would like to pursue the unthinkable. 

I never thought I would be in this position again!!!  I was so healthy!!!  Now, just last year I needed lumbar surgery for degenerative discs...  in three weeks I am having foot surgery for osteoarthritis in my big toe...  my blood pressure is climbing... and, God only knows what my cholesterol is!

For someone my size now, which is 5' 6" 220 lbs, I really don't feel like I look too bad.  I have been worse!!!  So, even though part of me wants what my husband calls "the miniskirt" back, it truly is more about my health.  I am so tired all of the time, and with my back and foot problems, not to mention that my knee goes out on me once in a while, too, increased activity is just not happening right now.  I feel like such a sloppy, lazy failure!!!

I know that is not nice to say about yourself, but it is true...  the fact that I am considering yet another surgery for what I still feel I should be able to take care of on my own really bothers me.   But, I do pray for another chance!!!

I didn't handle my life crisis well.  Period.  It is my fault I am in this position.  But, I still need help.  It is still a problem, and I still need help.

God bless all of our efforts...  Davina 
You can give without loving, but you cannot love without giving. 
~ Amy Carmichael ~

katies2angels
on 11/5/09 10:24 am
Hi Davina,

I know how upset you feel about yourself.  I did too. I lost most of my weight had very bad asthma put on Predisone and gained back 60 of the 180 I lost.  I too have spinal stenosis, degenerative discs which never get any better I decided to research having a revision done I had RNY Gastric Bypass 7 years ago and finally had the procedure done on Oct 27th.  It is such a difficult decision and I also have joint/foot problems too, I guess it comes with the weight.  It stinks.  I found out most procedures have  a high rate of failure nice huh.  Don't be to hard on yourself., You can talk to your doctor and find out your options.  I hope things work out for you.  Keep in touch.

take care.

kathleen
Davina S.
on 11/5/09 10:40 am - Naperville, IL
Hi, Kathleen...

Thanks so much for your kind words.  I hope you are doing well after your surgery?  Did you revise the RNY, or did you change to another WLS?  I just finished taking an online psych evaluation that is required before I can go to my information session on Tuesday for a revision to the DS.  I am a little scared.  I'd feel more comfortable just doing a RNY revision, but to be sure the weight comes off and STAYS off I need to consider it.  What do they do when they revise the same RNY, do you know?

I hope your revision is a complete success!!!  And, no doubt it will be...  many blessings!!!

~ Amy Carmichael ~

katies2angels
on 11/6/09 12:00 am
Hi Davina

I hope that Psych Eval wasnt' too annoying I actually had to go to a Pschycologist for mine.  My doctor thought it would be a safer bet to do another RNY shorten the limbs and removed 3 foot of intestine and repositioned it. 

Although I read that most people who do the revision surgeries do not lose as quickly as originally in their first operation.  

I know how you feel I was terrified before my surgery no one to talk to about it. Since I didn't want anyone to know I was going in for a revision procedure.   I am not sure how much weight will come off so far 1 week out I lost 10 pounds. 

Thanks for your kind words.  I hope it works.  Thanks for your blessings.  I hope things go smoothly for you.  If you need any questions/support, don't hesitate to contact me.

Take care.
Kathleen
Davina S.
on 11/6/09 1:06 am - Naperville, IL
Hi, Kathleen...

I just posted on the main board that I have a change in plans.  Instead of going straight for the revision to DS, my surgeon and I have decided to give the band one more try.  Then, if that doesn't work, he said he would do something similar to what you just had done.  I don't find it quite so scary this way!!!  I was really getting freaked out by what I was reading...

Anyway, let's keep in touch!

~ Amy Carmichael ~

katies2angels
on 11/6/09 4:43 am
Hi there

I know the doctor knows the best way to go I wish you luck and yes the band is not as evasive as the RNY.  I know every thing you read about revisionscan make you a nervous wreak.

Would love to stay in touch.

Take care.

Kathleen
Most Active