Not sure if i had revision??

roser13
on 10/21/09 5:42 pm - Glendale, CA
Hello all! OK here is my story! I had gastric almost 5 yrs ago, I never gained weight but i didn't lose as much as others. My lowest weight loss is what i weigh now, 222lbs. I run i workout i try to eat healthy but that's the lowest Ive ever been. Last week i went to er for abdominal pain,come to find out that  i had 2 hernias and my small intestine was going inside and wrapped its self somewhere in there. The surgeon that did my initial bypass left a few gaps open and that where the hernias began. They also left a huge pouch that my food was going into and it would deposit it once it was full. Anyways i really cant explain much because i really dint understand what happen,even tho the New surgeon explained it to me. Anyways he made a new staple line but he said that he didn't make my stomach smaller just closed up that big pouch, my question is.... Am i able to still lose weight with this new thing? Is this what you call a revision? He has me eating soft foods and liquids, and he said that it may or may not help me loose weight! He calls it a revision but its really not! I don't understand! HELP!!!!
LisaAnn
on 10/22/09 9:39 am - WA
If I am understanding this right, you had a pouch, but it had a spot where food was able to drop into another, larger pouch. Correct?

If I am correct, then what I am understanding is that he stapled the original pouch so that food was not allowed to overflow into this "other pouch".

So, if that is the case, then it seems like a fix more than revision, and he probably said you may or may not lose weight because you may, if the over flow was allowing you to eat more, but you may not, if it was not.....so guess time will tell.

I sure hope it does allow you to continue to lose to meet your goal!

I wish you the best of luck!

Lisa

229 / 148/ 135
Open DS Surgery with Dr. Martin @ Madigan 
Revision from 2006 - VBG
Hernia repair and tummy tuck - 05/12/2010

StacysMom
on 10/22/09 11:33 am, edited 10/22/09 11:34 am
 If you truly had an RNY, your stomach is out of the equation!   It's just floating there.   Unless it is still attached to the pouch and only separated by a staple line - then it's still connected but no food is going through it.   The food goes straight into the pouch and collects there then moves through the "man-made" stoma into your intestines to start the nutrient absorption process.    It doesn't touch the rest of your stomach and your pyloric valve, which is what releases food into the intestines for a non-surgically altered person, is put out of service here.  

It sounds as though your surgeon made your pouch and stoma smaller and reinforced the staple line separating the pouch/stoma from the stomach and that is all.    If you never lost most of your excess weight to begin with, perhaps he could have shortened your intestinal common channel for you to enable more weight loss.    It's called an ERNY or Distal revision depending on the length of the common channel and the term the that surgeon prefers using.    This is done because the pouche/stoma stretched out once and they will do so again.    The shortened common channel adds more malabsorption.

Even better than that, though, is that if your stomach has not actually been cut away (only stapled), then you are probably a candidate for the DS surgery, which has a much better success rate than RNY for keeping the excess weight off.  You may want to go over to the Duodenal Switch forum on OH and ask them about it.   There have been several revisions from stapled RNYs to this surgery and they can tell you about it.

This is why it is so important to do all of your research before you even talk to the doctor!   Otherwise, they just give you whatever procedure that they commonly do, or what THEY think is best for you.   It should be your informed decision!   The doctor doesn't have to live with it!  You may have had other issues, not mentioned here, which is why your surgeon revised you the way he did.   It's your job to find out.

You did have a revision, but it doesn't sound like it was  the most effective one for your particular case.

If you need further work down the line, do your homework first and completely understand what is being done to you.

And, good luck!  
ginau
on 10/22/09 12:54 pm - mesa, AZ

Just a suggestion -- get a copy of your Surgical report .. keep and maintain your own set of records!  - But it sounds like this surgeon did a clean up job and you should be feeling better soon.   Take it slow and follow directions .

It will help you and your PCP understand what is going on.  and if you ever need additional follow up .

GinaU aka Jeanna 
 RNY revised  to Extended RNY 5/2008
Total loss 181 and counting 

-

Ara Keshishian
on 11/7/09 3:51 pm - Glendale, CA
 Hello,
You either had a gastro-gastric fistula that was closed or they revised the stoma size of the gastro-jejunostomy anastomosis.
If you had a gastro-gastric fistula and they closed it then you should see the result of the weight loss. If however the stoma size was made smaller ( meaning that the opening of the stomach to small bowel was made smaller) then the weight loss will most probably be much less if any.

There are published studies out there that show no correlation between the size of the pouch and the stoma to weight loss ( over a range).

I would also recommend that you get copies of al your surgical operative reports for your self. One last word or advise to all patients, is that you are in charge and you no one should leave a doctors office till they have all their questions answered. 

Ara Keshishian, MD, FACS, FASMBS
[email protected]
www.dssurgery.com

Most Active