Major left sholder pain after revision?

ValB
on 10/21/09 11:50 am

Did anyone else experience major left shoulder pain that goes up into the neck after revision???

It was achy all day today and has hurt a little on and off - but after I had some soft scrampled eggs today - it hurts terribly!  

Any suggestions?

band 4/18/08 slipped band 10/15/09.  further band complications --revision from band to sleeve 10/21/10.  Starting Weight - 230 Rev. surg wt - 203 Current - 147 Goal - 130

emjayel56
on 10/21/09 9:38 pm - Boynton Beach,, FL

Absolutely normal; i had it as well.  It's from the gasses they put in you for the surgery; it travels up and pockets there.  Keep walking it will get it moving.  I know it is really really uncomfortable but it gets better.  Good luck.

maryjo

BELOW GOAL WEIGHT... LOST 151 LBS AND CURRENTLY WEIGH 138 LBS.  ... Maryjo

ValB
on 10/22/09 12:26 am
This is different than that gas pain I think.  I've had that many times - but never like this.   I was reading somewhere that there is a nerve in the diaphram that gets irritated sometimes in abdominal surgery - that can cause major pain in the left shoulder.    At a week out -  I say this also because i would think Gas would be well gone by now..   i don't know - i just know it hurts!!!

band 4/18/08 slipped band 10/15/09.  further band complications --revision from band to sleeve 10/21/10.  Starting Weight - 230 Rev. surg wt - 203 Current - 147 Goal - 130

(deactivated member)
on 10/22/09 2:29 am - AZ
On October 22, 2009 at 7:26 AM Pacific Time, ValB wrote:
This is different than that gas pain I think.  I've had that many times - but never like this.   I was reading somewhere that there is a nerve in the diaphram that gets irritated sometimes in abdominal surgery - that can cause major pain in the left shoulder.    At a week out -  I say this also because i would think Gas would be well gone by now..   i don't know - i just know it hurts!!!

You are correct.

When they inflate your belly with CO2 during surgery the gas pushes on your diaphragm and it ends up irritating a nerve and you get referred pain in your left shoulder.

Walk, heating pads, some even say rocking in a rocking chair makes a difference.

emjayel56
on 10/22/09 12:31 am - Boynton Beach,, FL
Hopefully it passes quickly .... feel better.  Why not call your surgeon?  good luck

BELOW GOAL WEIGHT... LOST 151 LBS AND CURRENTLY WEIGH 138 LBS.  ... Maryjo

heatherlowrymom
on 10/26/09 9:13 am
if it hurts after you eat, sounds like gas pains, even if it doesn't feel like ones you have had before...heating pad and gas x should help--I think some surgeons may say no to gasx, but I don't know why...they have always told me I could take it and it helped...the minute you feel the pain, get up and walk , then get a heating pad on and it should help to dissipate the pain...sorry! I thought I was having a heart attack with the pains I had after my last surgery, and it was for about 7-8 days after...
Heather
Most Active