Lapband to Gastric Bypass

(deactivated member)
on 10/22/09 12:38 am - NJ
Hi there - been there and done that too!  Had a band in June '08, went downhill after my first fill in October '08, and continued to get worse - the reflux was unbearable, and long story short, had the band out in March, and was revised to RNY in April and have lost close to 70 pounds!!

Reason for two surgeries was to let everything heal up in between - my surgeon believes that you do better with weight loss with time to heal, others do both in one shot.  

Couldn't be happier!  Once you get that thing out, you will feel like a new person!  I have not had reflux in months!

Ask away - more than happy to help :)

emjayel56
on 10/22/09 1:55 am - Boynton Beach,, FL

Jennifer

Isnt it an amazing feeling to lay down, have no reflux, no esophagus problems?  I love it. Sometimes I feel like I have no type of surgery because I feel nothing but i know it's there lol

continued success to you

maryjo

BELOW GOAL WEIGHT... LOST 151 LBS AND CURRENTLY WEIGH 138 LBS.  ... Maryjo

peggy1011
on 10/22/09 4:54 am - Whitesboro, NY
Revision on 09/08/09 with
Hello there... Like the other posters, I'm also extremely happy with my revision.  I had mine done on 9/8/09, and feel absolutely great.   I've lost as much weight in the month and a half since the rny that I did the entire 2 years that  I had the band.  The only thing I'm sorry about is that I didnt do this sooner!!!   The band was a bust in my opinion.   Best of luck to you!!!!  

Peggy

brandyII
on 10/22/09 5:26 am

Sam,

I had my lapband put in 6/07 and removed 10/08 and then revised to RNY 6/09.  I never had any success with my lapband and actually gained instead of losing and along with the lbs gained more comorbs!  I also experienced bad pains with GERD and that's when it was removed.

I still am pinching myself because I'm finally losing weight and it's still coming off and have been very happy with this revision.  All of my surgeries were done lapro but this one was certainly more painful and recovery longer but worth it in the end!  Good luck to you Nancy.

Revised from Lap band 8/22/07 to RNY 6/11/09   Starting weight 259lbs

shellshock
on 10/23/09 6:33 am - Bremerton, WA
I am trying to find out if my insurance will pay for the revision. It says it does but you never know if you will get approved. I have had more unfills than fills because I get so tight I cannot eat or drink anything until I get unfilled again. I was wondering though which surgeries everyone revised to? RNY Proxima or Medial? I have to decide before they start the paperwork for the insurance.

Shelly
louisianamamaof3
on 10/23/09 9:54 am - broussard, LA
Hi i was reading ya'll post and decided to comment on what my DR told me on Wed. I have had my band for 14 months lost 30 lbs he said my BODY is just not reacting to the BAND like it should and has no clue what is going on I go see a Dietitian on MONDAY to see about calories and fat cause i have really good restriction. But if after a couple months i dont lose anything he'll do the BYPASS and I DONT have to have my BAND removed they can just do the BYPASS under my BAND......Which is GREAT cause i see sooooo many people with the BYPASS years later that say they are gaining the weight back and are looking to do something else like the BAND or the SLEEVE so if that is the case than i really didn't waste my money. Let me know if anyone has heard of this before. I paid for my BAND and my new Insurance will cover the BYPASS.....hopes this helps.......Shannon
Marie485
on 10/25/09 3:47 am - Vernon, CT
I am 4 days out from my revision. I have had two Lap Bands since 2006 and many issues, lost 70 pds. and then gained twenty back and continued on the rollercoaster of gaining and losing. My Doctor said because of the newest problems with the band he suggested the RNY revision. I was very scared plus hubby was not too for it but I did it. I felt like I wa**** with a mack truck right after but each day gets better. Last night I thought I was going to die my gas was so bad. But today things are moving better. Each day will be better I hope and pray, today I went to three different stores and still feel good, so I will take the afternoon slow.
Marie485
Samantha B.
on 10/26/09 12:53 am - Arnold, MO
Hi Everyone,

Thank you so much for all of the information.  Your responses have been so helpful.  Can anyone tell me a little bit about what their eating habits are like now.  With all the restrictions, I'm wondering what to people with the bypass eat - like what does a typical day of meals look like for someone more than a month out from surgery.

Thanks again!!

Sam
Samantha
Say what you mean and mean what you say but don't say it mean.      
emjayel56
on 10/26/09 1:04 am - Boynton Beach,, FL

Hi sam

I'm still kind of new but today is 2 months postop with my revision.  I eat much less than with the band at 2 months postop.  I have no appetite, no cravings (although I'm told this does not last forever).  My typical day consists of an egg for breakfast with sugar free ketchup.  Lunch and dinner I will measure out 3 ounces of chicken, turkey or fish and eat what i want up to the 3 ounces.  I have one protein shake a day and 64 ounces of water.  at night i usually have a sugar free ice pop.  That's it.  Tomorrow is my 2 month postop where i should progress to the next stage where i can incorporate veggies/salad into the diet.  I am very happy with the bypass and find it much better than the band.  good luck to you.

maryjo

BELOW GOAL WEIGHT... LOST 151 LBS AND CURRENTLY WEIGH 138 LBS.  ... Maryjo

Samantha B.
on 10/26/09 1:07 am - Arnold, MO
thank you Maryjo - that's very helpful!
Samantha
Say what you mean and mean what you say but don't say it mean.      
Most Active