Has anyone experienced this?

Glenn M.
on 10/18/09 4:17 am - Addison, TX
Good Afternoon everyone,

I had my pre-op examinations completed and now I on the next step to getting my surgery.  I had an Upper GI test done and I asked if my pouch was stretched out a lot.  The doctor told me that the pouch is still very small however I empty very quickly.  This is the reason I don't get the full feeling anymore.  What does this mean to me as  I try to get a revision.  Is this something that the doctor will be able to fix?  Has anyone experienced this?

Thank you,
mew6495
on 10/18/09 9:20 am - MI
On October 18, 2009 at 11:17 AM Pacific Time, Glenn M. wrote:
Good Afternoon everyone,

I had my pre-op examinations completed and now I on the next step to getting my surgery.  I had an Upper GI test done and I asked if my pouch was stretched out a lot.  The doctor told me that the pouch is still very small however I empty very quickly.  This is the reason I don't get the full feeling anymore.  What does this mean to me as  I try to get a revision.  Is this something that the doctor will be able to fix?  Has anyone experienced this?

Thank you,
 Hi Glenn,

It probably means your stoma (connection between the pouch and the sm intestine) has streatched out.  This allows food to empty very quickly from the pouch to the stoma.  Since your pouch empties to fast it never keeps that feeling of fullness.  Did they do an endoscopy on you?  This can determine the size of the stoma.

There are non evasive techniques out there suppose to address this as it is very common with the RNY after a few years out.  But unfortunately at this time these techniques have not proven to be very effective over the long term.  They are Stomaphyx, ROSE and Scelatherapy.  Hopefully technology will improve and come up with better methods or improve on these ones.  Seems after the initial post op diet you have a good chance of gaining your weight back.  I have yet to see someone post on here that is more then 6 to 12 months out that has had success with these.

I am also hearing there is a procedure where they place a small band around the stoma opening.  I am not sure of it name or its results.  But perhaps that would be something to consider.  You may also want to check out the ERNY, Band over Bypass or the DS (very complicated as far as revision from RNY goes).  I would suggest discussing all your options with your doctor to determine what is best for you.

Good luck.

Diane G.
on 10/27/09 3:30 pm - Smithtown, NY
RNY on 07/25/05 with
mew6495 is absolutely correct.  I was steered away from those little procedures being that they are so brand new and no one really knows how long they last.  Should you get the revision, which could possibly last you the rest of your life, or the little procedures that may have to be done every 6 months?  It's your call, but I know what I would do...
Most Active