"permanent"revision

davbev
on 10/19/09 3:36 am

i am looking at a revision from band to rny.anyone else have a problem getting your mind to
accept such a big difference in the type of surgery - so "permanent"?its hard to know if you are
doing the right thing or not.the band was a much easier choice for me,but the rny is a little
different.david

Sis'ta "T" Bone
on 10/19/09 4:17 am - Miami, FL

Dave,

I know exactly where you are coming from!  Had that thought nearly 3 yrs ago prior to getting the lap-band and then again last year prior to my revision to RNY.  I must admit,  I SHOULD HAVE DONE IT SOONER!!!  I have not experience any of the pre-conceived notions of "dumping" - passing out, severe vomiting. 

Having had the band for nearly 2 yrs, I only lost a total of 30 lbs. But with RNY, I am nearly close to goal - >10 lbs away - in just 10 months out!  And guess what, the weight is still falling off with little effort ( I am able to eat nearly anything - with the exception of  when I've over-done it! ) . When I consume something that's not going to agree, I will know in just seconds.  

Consult with The "MAKER"of all good and perfect gifts knowing that He did not give us the spirit of fear.

Good luck on your decision!

Sis'ta Thick-Bone from Sunny So. FL
Believing that God's intentions are for us to prosper. (I Corr. 2:9)

davbev
on 10/19/09 4:35 am
SIS'TA - THANKS FOR THE REPLY.EVERYONE I HAVE TALKED TO SAYS THE SAME THING -
"I WISH I HAD DONE THIS SOONER".I'M SURE I WILL BE THE SAME WAY.I JUST CALLED MY
DOCS OFFICE TO TELL THEM TO PROCEED WITH PAPERWORK.DAVID.
Poodles
on 10/19/09 10:42 am - TX
I worked in a bariatric hospital and would never do the rny.  I am submitted for a revision to the DS.  Check out DSfacts.com just to see what your options are.  A lot of people revise from rny to ds after the rny fails... so it will be worth it to check out. 
Renfairewench
on 10/23/09 12:55 pm

Preach it Poodles. :)

HW (pre RNY) 430 HW (pre DS) 302 / SW 288 /
                          Lowest weight 157 / CW 161
GW 150
                "I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight"

Poodles
on 10/23/09 2:08 pm - TX
Just an FYI:  I have been approved for the RNY since December of last year... but could never bring myself to do it.  

Submitted for the DS last week... found out I am approved today... and can't wait!  I have never been happier.   No worries about dumping, or stuck food in an artificial man made pyloris wanna be... I am going to have the best of both worlds.   A normal stomach with malabsorbtion.

Please please look into it.  I know it is not for everyone... but it is the best "permanent" revision in my opinion.

Lots of luck no matter what you decide!
StacysMom
on 10/23/09 2:14 pm
 If you are very concerned about the "permanence" of a surgery, you need to read about how many people got the RNY and are now looking for revisions to something else because the RNY didn't work for them to lose all the weight they wanted OR because 3-10 years out, they gained it all back.

The surgery may be permanent, but its effects do not last forever.   The RNY pouch will stretch out, allowing you to eat more.   The stoma will enlarge and that will allow you to fill your intestines up more than when you had an actual stomach, with a valve which released the food.   The RNY leaves your stomach still in you, just floating there!   It is called a "blind" stomach because it will not be able to be scoped for medical problems (cancer, etc.) later in life.  It will continue to churn out Grehlin (the hunger hormone which tells you to eat) 24/7.   You intestinal channel, even though it will be shortened with the RNY, will eventually change and "learn" how to absorb more more calories from the foods you eat.   And, all of this leads to weight gain and more surgery.   Yes, quite a people have revised from the lapband to the RNY and are happy with it.  They are NEW.   Talk to those who are 5 years out with the RNY and see what they say.

Most doctors don't even give patients correct info about all of the surgeries which are available to them.   Most of them don't even do all of the surgeries - they run RNY and lapband "factories".   And, they downplay the successes of the surgeries that they don't perfom and push the ones that they do.  

Since your stomach is still intact, think about getting the "sleeve" (VSG).    That surgery merely makes your stomach smaller and cuts away the portion of the stomach where Grehlin is produced.  Talk to those who have revised from lapband to sleeve.   Check out the sleeve board. If you have a high BMI, consider the DS and go to their forum to hear about that surgery.   The sleeve is the first part of the DS - the second part is the intestinal portion which can be adjusted for the amount of malabsorption that will work for you.

Once you cut up your stomach into the pouch of the RNY, it would be very difficult to change to the DS as so many people are trying to do.   And, the sleeve has similar results to the RNY without touching your intestines (and leading to more potential issues down the line).   It leaves your natural stomach anatomy and valve intact.    Something to consider.

Most Active