What to expect? Please advise.

mchoate
on 10/15/09 3:02 am - Dickson, TN
Hey all, had gastric (open) bypass Aug 03.  Lost over 100 lbs but did not reach goal weight.  Have had problems with food hanging around in pouch causing unbelievable gas and acid reflux.  After many attempts to get rid of all this, they have decided to just revise my surgery 11/18/09.  They have said they will have to do open again due to scar tissue.  Would like to know if the experience will be the same.  Please share anything some of you may have gone through.  Is it harder the 2nd time?  Do you still lose the weight at the same rate as before, etc?  Would love to have lots of input!  Thanks.
JROLFSON
on 10/15/09 8:03 am, edited 10/15/09 8:06 am - St. George, UT
Hi Mchoate:

What are you revising to? I have had two revision surgeries and amazingly they get easier each time...My first VBG was almost a life taker, my RNY Revision was much easier and I went back to work in 4 weeks. My ERNY Revision was even easier and I felt better than I had in years almost immediately and I went back to work in 3 weeks.

So I would think that depending on what type of revision they'll be giving you has a lot to do with your recovery...If they will be resizing your pouch only you may have a rough go for a month or so but if you are only getting a malabsorptive procedure it should be much easier...At least in my experience.

Janie
mchoate
on 10/15/09 9:48 am - Dickson, TN
Thanks for your reply Janie.  I assume it is another RNY.  I had the first one at my VA hospital and this one will be there as well.  I actually have not met the MD performing the surgery.  I met a couple of interns who talked to another doctor and they just said they thought the best thing to do is re-do the surgery.  I'm not sure they would know any other way to revise it except to just re-do the same surgery.  But you have given me something to question.  I had no idea there were so many ways to revise WLS.  Thanks again!
Melody
Amanda S.
on 10/15/09 4:20 pm - New York, NY
How long before you started to regain?

Lap DS 9/21/09
2-1/2

124LBS GONE!! LOOK AT ME!!

mchoate
on 10/18/09 9:07 am - Dickson, TN
Sorry it took so long to reply...haven't been feeling well.  I actually stayed at about the same weight for about 5 yrs.  Then I had a hysterectomy last Jul.  In Jan this year, I started gaining and had gained about 40 lbs.  Since I had my last EGD, something changed and I am nauseous most of the time...even when I don't eat.  I have lost about 30 lbs but feel like crap most of the time. Hopefully the revision will make me feel better (eventually) and get the rest of the weight off.  Take care.
Melody
Most Active