Frustrated and Disgusted

schel
on 10/12/09 12:10 pm
I finally got in the mind set to go to a different surgeons office that came by high referrals and great praise looking into Lap Band revision to RNY, since I had the Lap Band put in in 2005 and since am 30lbs heaver than pre op before Lap Band surgery. 
Went in and was told that since I already had bariatric surgery once my insurance Health Partners would most likely not pay for revision surgery.  He then said he wanted to do a barium swallow X-Ray to see where the band was and any restriction.  Well band is in place and there is restriction.  He then called me and said he wants me to "follow the rules" 
I have been trying despirately to follow "the rules for 3 years since my last fill.  I am now prediabetic and feel so upset and depressed that I am stuck with this and destin to be fat the rest of my life. 

I am wondering if anyone has an example of a revision letter they have sent to their insurance company's and been approved.  And if anyone else has had this happen to them.  If so would you please PM me or reply to me? 

Thanks.
Schel

JustLookingToo
on 10/13/09 3:10 am - AL
 Wow...what a terribly frustrating situation. I don't know the rules about insurance and lap bands, but hopefully someone knows something that can help you. I just got an insurance denial for my revision, so I know how upsetting and hopeless it feels when you just don't see a way out of a bad situation. I plan to fight my way through all of this junk, even though I really don't have the strength or desire to do so right now, and I hope that you will find the strength to do the same. Sorry this is happening to you.
(deactivated member)
on 10/15/09 5:32 am - San Diego, CA
Hi - I guess I am maybe a bit confused....if your band is in place and you indeed have restriction, it seems you are making poor food/drink choices and not following the band protocol if you are not losing weight, to be perfectly honest.  Why would a revision surgery be necessary when your tool is functioning properly?

Perhaps you could try bringing it back to the basics of how to allow the band to work for you (increase protein, drinking more water, increasing exercise, no grazing, smaller portions, food journaling, etc.). 

I also suggest seeing a therapist which specializes specifically in WLS patients and the food issues that come along with it.  IT CHANGED MY LIFE. I had gained 50 lbs of the 115 lbs I lost because my tool (RNY) was no longer functioning due to MY poor choices.  I ended up having a revision (lap-band placed over my bypass) but had my tool still been working properly, then my therapy, diet and exercise would have been enough to get me back on track.  I'm telling you....just having the revision surgery itself will not be the miracle you are looking for if you have not yet gotten your mind right and changed your eating, drinking and exercise habits.  This I know for sure.

I would be glad to help you if you need suggestions.  Best of luck to you.  I know how hard this is as I just went through it.  Thankfully, I had a lap-band placed over my bypass in May and have since lost 47 lbs of the 50 I had regained.

JROLFSON
on 10/15/09 7:58 am - St. George, UT
Wow Lisa:

47 lbs...You are 9 lbs ahead of me...I'm sooooo jealous...This process is so slow with ERNY but I'm told it's working so I'm hoping by next year I will be at goal...Still have 38 lbs to go...

I'm really impressed with your loss...

How does it feel girl?

Janie
(deactivated member)
on 10/15/09 2:36 pm - San Diego, CA
Verrrrrrry hard work but SO worth it!  I feel amazing.  I have been very strict with myself and thankful for that as I never really was before.  My mentality is so different now...like as if it has "matured" when it comes to my health and vitality.  Thanks to my therapist too.  Oh, and this beautiful band...once I reached the "sweet spot" the weight just fell right off.  After about 1 month of that, I lost a bit of restriction and just went in for another small fill to get me back there.  I love the option of having adjustments as needed.  It just works with me so well.  I need that restriction to pair nicely with my eating habits and exercise.

You have lost 39 lbs though, girl...OMG!  That is a FABULOUS number for revision surgery.  You are doing awesome, Janie.  Keep up the hard work and dedicaton and you will be at goal in no time!! 

Nice to hear from you...my how time flies!  :)

Most Active