Ability to eat after revision....

JROLFSON
on 10/14/09 6:47 am - St. George, UT
The ERNY is an Extended RNY which means they shorten the common channel to give you malabsorption which could be what you might need...

A 200cc pouch seems quite large to me...But to have the Pouch resized and get a shortened common channel might well help your chances of getting off all the weight and the malabsorption could help maintain the weight loss...

But I wouldn't go under a cc length of 100....

If you are only going for the resizing of pouch your diet rules will be the same as when you got your RNY...Pitfalls...Truly do not try to eat everything put in front of you...Eat until you are full only once and get up away from the food...Don't graze...Don't save it for later...You are going to do well for the first 6 months while your resized pouch is healing but it won't take long after that for you to begin to eat a fairly normal meal...You might want to discuss with your surgeon the idea of giving you a little malabsorption to help with the weight loss...

Just search ERNY in OH and you will find out all the details about the procedure...But I can't caution you enough about doing a modest common channel length which isn't shorter than 100...preferably 150 since you will have the added luxury of having your pouch resized as well...

Feel free to ask any and all questions...there are many of us on these boards who have had the ERNY....

Janie
GayleTx
on 10/10/09 9:13 pm - northeast, TX
amrighty......I, too, am on my 3rd wls.  Two bands and now an RNY. 

Terri.....I am concerned abour your vitamins....Flintstones are not appropriate for people who have had weight loss surgery.  In the early days of wls,  surgeons said that but now they know that because of our malabsorption that we must have serious bariatric vitamins and that we must take them daily and forever!!!  No way around it!  Most of the people who fail and have complications such as softening bones,  and blood chemistry problems etc.  are the ones who did not take their vitamins and who did not keep their protein intake up.

There are some good vitamins made now in packs that include everything you need.....Bariatric Advantage and Celebrate are probably the two best and easiest to keep up with. 
Terri D.
on 10/10/09 9:53 pm - West Warwick, RI

I use TWO Flintstones vitamins daily plus the Vitamin B complex plus Calcium 3 x daily.  I was  originally using the Bariatric chewables and felt much better (more energy) than I do now even though I have more energy now than I used to have.  I was so sick before the surgery and I guess I had compensated for that.  I have blood work coming up pretty soon so we can find out where my vitamin levels are, I am looking forward to getting those results so I will know where I am.  Had planned to go to my lab tomorrow a.m. before I go on to work but  it is a holiday for many people including the lab so that ruled that out.  Thanks for your input.

Most Active