RNY to DS? A Possbility? What to Believe - Need your thoughts

Goldie_Locks
on 10/7/09 4:22 am
I’m pursuing a revision of my RNY performed in 2000. Since I’ve been researching other surgery types and revisions, the only one my doctor presented to me was a lap band over my RNY.  But I’m finding that a DS would be much more beneficial – and probably the surgery I should have gone with in the first place. 

I’ve read several posts in the DS and Revision forums and just can’t seem to understand. Why, if my doctor also performs RNY to DS revisions, would that not be provided as a solution to stop my 100lb weight gain and get me closer to my goal weight with my original RNY?   Can anyone offer their experiences?    Again, even more confused with the additional layer what to trust.
Debbie M.
on 10/7/09 5:38 am
Dear Goldie Locks,
I'm going through the same thing you are, although I wouldn't go back to my original surgeon for the procedure because he doesn't have enough RNY-DS experience.  I don't recognize the name of your surgeon as being someone who is an expert in that field (could be why they're recommending something different).  They tend to work in their comfort zone versus whats best for the patient.  I'm sure others will come along with better suggestions, but, like you I'd wish a DS would have been a better know option back in 2002 when I had my RNY done.  Looking forward to getting a full DS and moving on with my life.  Good luck in your journey.
(deactivated member)
on 10/7/09 5:42 am - Bayonne, NJ
I'm going for the DS after having had RNY in 2003.  Do your research and make sure the surgeon you pick has a lot of experience doing those types of revisions. Talk to other surgeons, get second opinions, and find out everything you can.

I had rny with a vbg, and it makes me miserable. I lost weight but keeping it off has been tough, and the vbg prevents me from eating a lot of good protein sources. Sure, I can drink protein, but I'd like to be able to eat without vomiting all the time.

Anyway, I have kept off 100 lbs but never got down out of the obese category. I am short, I have symptoms of pcos, and my metabolism is shot. I think a revision to a DS is the best choice for me.
J_J
on 5/4/11 11:49 pm - Barrie, Canada
Hi,

Did you ever get any answers?  I'm just asking as I also live in ON.

Thanks,
JJ

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 5/5/11 2:30 am
 I'm not Baily, but if you look at her avie, it does indicate that she did in fact get her surgery revises, and she had Dr Greenbaum, who is a top (if not THE top) RNY to DS revision surgeon around. 

I also see Baily is active on the DS board now, which can be a good place to ask some of the DS revision questions, since many there have been revised to DS from other failed surgeries.
funeralmichelle
on 10/9/09 5:44 am - Canada
Hi all, this is my first post, had RNY in 1998 in guelph ontario canada. HW 280lbs. lowest weigh after 152lbs. all ok for many years but have had 4 children since including twins. gained weigh each time can't get it off and still gaining. now 236lbs. my surgeon has since retired and have no one to follow my care. My surgeon did tell me that pregnancy can "stretch" the pouch and I think thats what has happened. I feel no restriction to the amount of food i can eat at all. does anyone know how to go about getting a revision in ontario and how/where I apply for this. desparate!!!! any thoughts appreciated. I live in toronto so I know they do RNY here but need ohip coverage  to pay. what about getting a revision approval in ontario  for surgery in buffalo new york as I understand the wait time here is about 3 years for initial RNY surgery and what options for revision do i have? can they just add more lines of staples to make pouch small again? Further complicated because i don't even have a family doctor and have to go to a walk in clinic for anything. Please help.
Most Active