ROSE Procedure

sodagal
on 10/7/09 12:34 am
I am going to be having this procedure done in the next few weeks and wanted to know if anyone has had any experiences with this surgery.  It is a very new procedure and I will be the 1st here in South Texas to do this.

I had a open RNY done in 2002 and lost my weight and looked awesome but then found out had a brain tumor in 2005 and had surgery and then between the steroids and meds they had me on I gained about 80 punds back and it a nightmare for me ever since. The tumor was beign but still caused havoc in my life with rehabs and disabilities now.

I found out about this surgery and it is awesome and I am the perfect candidate for this procedure.  No incisions - all endoscopically.  I had the full open in 2002- all 23 staples down the front and I am not into the recoop time for a lap so this is perfect.  Only 1 day to rest and I am back ready to go- just tummy internally is shunk.  I hope this works!!

Zee Starrlite
on 10/7/09 1:03 am

CAUTION .  . . NONE OF THESE STOMA TIGHTENING WITH STAPLES, CLIPS ETC. WORK. 

PLEASE DO FURTHER RESEARCH AND SAVE YOUR MONEY FOR A PROCEDURE THAT ACTUALLY WORKS.

YOU WILL FIND PEOPLE WHO SAY THEY WORK, BUT THEY ARE EARLY POST-OPS WHO'VE LOST THEIR WEIGHT ON THE LIQUID DIET PHASE.  THEY ONLY RETURN AT A LATER DATE TO REPORT THAT THEY HAVE GAINED THE 20LBS THEY LOST +

Good Luck.  Don't be a guinea pig.  This method had been proven not to work!

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

sodagal
on 10/7/09 12:38 pm
Thanks for the info, but the ROSE procedure is actually going to sew my pouch to the 1 oz size.  The procedure does everything a revision does except there are no incisions.  This is a new procedure and is being performed by certain doctors around the country.  My doctor is Board certified by the Bariatic Surgeons and would not want this kind of media attention if it was a gimmick etc.  I had the full open and stretched my stomach so by doing the laproscopic the sewing up of my stomach would be the same way.  I really do appreciate your concern- I do hope and pray that I am not a guinea pig, but I think all in all and since this is insurance documented- I'll do just fine!!

happygirl01
on 10/7/09 2:02 am
Hi,
where do you live..I am in ky and trying to find someone to do the rose..I had my first in 2003 I have a back injury and cant move a lot so I am gaining.  I am so glad that you are doing well you brain tumor and wish you the b est with the rose..take care and God bless you.

Vicki
sodagal
on 10/7/09 12:46 pm
Thanks for the well wishes- I live in San Antonio, Texas.  I do know that there are a few doctors in KY perfoming the ROSE procedure.  I Googled ROSE procedure and the did come up- the docs had some cool website info and videos of people who have this done.

Please let me know what ya come up with and if no luck let me know and I'll try again and get those names for you!!

Keep me posted!!

Teresa
jeanyjane
on 10/8/09 7:29 am - Germany
Please read the older posts at this board. ROSE comes up every few days, but I am yet to see somepne for whom it has worked more then a few weeks. PLEASE do your research. It sounds wonderful and non-invasive, just by all we know here, IT DOES NOT WORK. Look into the lapband over bypass if you want restriction back, or the ERNY if you want more malabsorbation, or into the duodenal swtich if you want both and the most effective WLS around (but it`s more complicated and risky, unfortunately).
sodagal
on 10/8/09 11:54 pm
I'll go and check these out.  I know talking with my doctor that the sewing of my overextended pouch is the best route due to my other medical conditions. I will see what is up and do some more research...maybe I can be the one who can post good results eh?
(deactivated member)
on 10/8/09 8:11 am - AZ
On October 7, 2009 at 7:34 AM Pacific Time, sodagal wrote:
I am going to be having this procedure done in the next few weeks and wanted to know if anyone has had any experiences with this surgery.  It is a very new procedure and I will be the 1st here in South Texas to do this.

I had a open RNY done in 2002 and lost my weight and looked awesome but then found out had a brain tumor in 2005 and had surgery and then between the steroids and meds they had me on I gained about 80 punds back and it a nightmare for me ever since. The tumor was beign but still caused havoc in my life with rehabs and disabilities now.

I found out about this surgery and it is awesome and I am the perfect candidate for this procedure.  No incisions - all endoscopically.  I had the full open in 2002- all 23 staples down the front and I am not into the recoop time for a lap so this is perfect.  Only 1 day to rest and I am back ready to go- just tummy internally is shunk.  I hope this works!!

Sadly I haven't seen a success yet. :o(

sodagal
on 10/8/09 11:58 pm
I am going to read some more on it...since it is so new there is not a lot of data on it for true numbers like there are for the lap band and gastric.  I am hoping to be one of the ones on here who can post sucess!!

Thanks for your concern-it helps to have people out there to show you the "real" statistics.
StacysMom
on 10/9/09 6:29 pm, edited 10/9/09 8:07 pm
 It is not that new.   It may be new to you, or to your surgeon.   Many doctors have just gotten trained in the "new" procedure and bought the equipment from the company that manufactures the endoscopic instruments.    

The amount of advertisements to prospective patients for these procedures has increased exponentially in just the last few months as more and more doctors have purchased the equipment and gotten the training (the training is provided by the equipment company, BTW, not by any medical school or establishment).   The companies which make the equipment must have very aggressive sales forces which sell the procedure to doctors around the country.    And, then the doctors have to use up all that expensive equipment, so they assertively push the procedure onto unsuspecting patients who are grasping at straws to "refresh" their WLS.  

That goes for both ROSE and Stomaphyx (which differs in that it uses clips, not sutures - but the procedure is the same - pleats are created in the pouch near the stoma opening which serve to both reduce the pouch size and stoma opening). 

People have been reporting on the OH boards about these procedures for over two years (starting in the summer of 2007 with Stomaphyx when only 3 surgeons in the U.S. were doing it).   In 2008, everyone was clamoring to get accepted into the ROSE investigational studies which were being conducted at select medical centers in various parts of the country.   Those that have posted here are all excited about it at first and thought it would be the answer to their prayers!   It's so easy.   It's not "real" surgery.   There's no cutting.   The surgeon goes in through the mouth, etc., etc.   (Sound familiar?)   They also wrote that lost around 20 lbs from the pre and post op diet and then gained all the weight back once they went back to normal foods.    I have not heard of even one person who had either of these procedures and maintained the initial weight loss, small though it may have been.   

Of course, then they have a nice bill ($7000-$10,000)  to pay since, previously it was not covered by insurance.    It might be covered now, under some kind of revision provision in the insurance policy.   But, if you use up your insurance revision $$ for this, it may prevent you from getting them to pay for an actual, surgical revision, if this procedure doesn't end up to be successful for you.  Something to think about! 

Even if ROSE and/or Stomaphyx  did work perfectly for everyone, these procedures are only supposed to be effective for losing up to 50 lbs.  Many of those for whom these procedures were not successful, went on to have either BOB (band over bypass) or more malabsorptive procedures (ERNY or DS) with varying degrees of success.

It would be nice to read that ROSE or Stomaphyx worked for someone (anyone!), because it would help a great many people.  But, no one who is a year out, has ever come back to report of their success.    Depending on how much you have to lose, you may be the first!!

So best of luck to you - please come back and tell everyone what happened!  
Most Active