Anyone have a lap band replaced with another lap band?

cameron1209
on 10/5/09 1:51 pm
I'm scheduled for a band replacement on Wednesday and I'd like to know what to expect.  I was originally banded in Jan of 2002 and it worked wonderfully.  I went from a size 22 and 225lbs to a size 8 and 145lbs.  I was able to maintain that loss with only one original fill of saline for almost 7 years.  When I started having fills on a regular basis, the problems began.  My band became too tight and it dialated the esophogus.  It also developed a leak, and now after almost a year after its failure and 35lbs gain later, I am finally getting it replaced.  My doctor was really pushing me to get a sleeve, but my insurance would only pay for a new band or RNY which scared me since I only have 40lbs. to lose.  I would like to know what to expect in terms of recovery, success in weight loss, especially long term.
jan R.
on 10/5/09 7:40 pm - PA
Hello.....I can give my opinion, partial experience on this.......I am just 6 days out of my Revision from a Lapband to Sleeve procedure.  I was banded in Aug. 2005 and lost 203 lbs......I have forturnately not gained any weight back but due to an umcompliant band faced alot of problems in the last few months.
I first noticed a year ago I developed severe heartburn and reflux.  The good thing was that the medication was helping...that was until about May of this year.  I underwent a few tests, Upper GI, Scope and other things.
I found out that I had a very very large hiatal hernia that either caused or created problems with my band.  My pouch was to big and my esophagus was severly dialiated. (4 times the size it should be).  So I knew the hernia had to be replaced and to do that my band had to be removed.  Facing life without my band scared me to death...the band took away my ability to eat the volumes of food I wanted to eat.....it never took away my desire to eat that amount of food!!
So I saw a surgeon here in my home town, (I was banded in Mexico).  He told me that he would reband me as a last option only.  His #1 choice other than nothing at all was the sleeve.  It was still the restriction I needed, but no forgein objects to deal with.
So I told him I originally went to Mexico to have my band because my insurance covers NO bariatric procedures or support at all.
So he sent for the approval to have the hernia fixed and my band removed.  The insurance oddly enough was willing to cover the band removal but not the hernia repair????  Don't ask me??
I figured I could self pay the difference (with more loans...I am borrowed out the AS.....in plastic surgery debt), but figured if the hernia was fixed the amount would be minimal since I was already in the OR and probed for surgery.  Maybe a little more OR time and some anest. time and for the staple gun required for the sleeve.  I figured $3000-$5000 and that was obtainable to relieve my torture.
So my surgoen after the hernia repair asked for a Peer on Peer consult with my insurance company?  Never heard of this before now.
Well not only did he tell them the hernia had to be repaired he shared the statics on not revising a weight loss patient with my success.  He also told them that just fixing the band held high risks.  Upon all the research I have read and done it says you have a 75% chance of complication if you are rebanded after a slip or problem.  Complication being the risk of slip, erosion and others.
So believe it or not...my insurance which has NO bariatric coverage covered all 3 procedures!!  Even the revision to the sleeve......
Well ask me how I am doing and life is still a little rough at 6 days out but I had 3 major surgies to my stomach at one time....so I guess it is to be expected!
I would ask you doctor to go to bat for you....it amazes me that my doctor did seeing he only met me once!  He was asked my my General surgeon *****fers patients to him, to please take on my lapband care since I was having issues.....not to go to the extent he did....
So do your research and talk to your doc.....it is worth it.....your body is worth everything you to you and you need to fight for what you want!!
Good Luck
Jan...
If I can offer any help you can message me anytime......so you know I live in PA and have Highmark Blue Cross Insurance....the very cheap one...does not even cover a prescription unless it is administered in the hospital....
jass28
on 10/6/09 3:22 am - A Town, NJ
Look into other options.  You don't want to get a band replaced every few years.  I know surgeries like RNY sound more drastic but they the RNY and DS have better long term sucess rates.

339/318.6/125/155/165
SW/SW/LW/CW/GW      
Revision from Lapband to DS and Had healthy post-op baby, LOVE MY DS!

Most Active