Alcohol After WLS

Tammy C.
on 10/5/09 9:41 am, edited 10/8/09 6:16 am

Dear OH Members,

After WLS, alcohol can affect you twice as much as it did when you were a pre-op.  OH Magazine/Newsletter would like to learn your prospective and hear about some of your personal expierences.  How has alcohol affected your post-op weight loss and your ability to consume even small amounts? You can post here or email me privately if you wish to remain anonymous.  [email protected]
All my best, 

Tammy Colter
Director of Media & PR
Editor-In-Chief
ObesityHelp.com
OH Magazine
(deactivated member)
on 10/6/09 8:58 am - Menomonee Falls, WI
I never had limitations from my surgery.  Eventually I learned I was given a 2 oz pouch, a 100 cm bypass and he used a large stoma hole punch on me.  The only limitation I have is that I really can't drink anymore.  When I drank a small amount I would get drunk, then sober up quickly and then get drunk etc. Because I am hungrier than before surgery I also can't afford the extra calories in alcohol.  I never drink anything with calories, no juice or soda.  A typical glass of wine I used to drink before surgery was around 7 oz and that is over 200 calories.  Because my "will power" goes out the window when I drink now and I have no restriction from my large pouch and stoma, I also end up eating extra calories when I drink.  I don't keep junk food in the house but if I drank when I was out where junk food was available I would eat junk.  I never dump either so I can really pack on the calories when I have a glass of wine.  Basically, I don't drink even my little Merlot anymore.  It is not an enjoyable, relaxing feeling it is drunk and overeating and weight gain for me since surgery.   Daisy    
Most Active