looking for Revision Doctors in Oregon...

PixieButterfly2005
on 10/4/09 5:40 am - Eugene, OR
I need to have a revision of my RNY. I started at 350+ lost to 175, now back up to 260. My diabetes is back. I already know that neither of my insurances are going to pay, so it will be private pay. Want to know what my options are, what is recommended....who is recommended.....

Anyone no much about Stomaphx??
shele
on 10/4/09 7:01 am

Hey! You are a May baby! I remember you posting on the May '04 board.

You have some options, the endoscopic proceedures don;t have a good long term result from what I have read.

There are alot of options, ds. erny( more malasorbtion) bob( band over bypass) are a few popular ones I see alot.

You need to first read and research all the available revisions and see what you feel comfy with.  Find a GOOD dr that has LOTS of experience with revisions as they are more risky!

Alot of peeps have had to travel to get an experienced dr.

I personally had the ERNY, am so far ok with it.  The loss is slow for me, and is reportedly so for most revisions.  THe DS is definately the way to go if you feel comfy with that, BUT it has to be what YOU decide is good for YOU!

Good luck, and ask me anything you want!  There are quite a few with lots more knowledge than I that will hopefully chime in too!

I would also recomend visiting all the surgey boards to see what peeps have to say about each surgery type.

shele
LiFeLoNg hEaLtH imY GoAl
RNY 5-11-04 280
Lowest weight 174
Highest re-gain 238

erny 3-23-09 (120 common channel

low post revision 190
Current Weight  204

Height 5'6"

GOAL 154 Normal BMI

PixieButterfly2005
on 10/4/09 8:25 am - Eugene, OR
I remember you! Glad to see I am not the only one with this issue. Her is more of my story:

The problem is my doctor fully retired 9 months after my surgery. I only received 9 months of follow-up, I was still 50 pounds from goal. The doctors that took over  here in the town I live in will not even see me for diet and nutrition counceling, because "we didn't do your surgery". My PCP is who feels I should pursue a revision, and recommend I find a  doctor who  does them for a consult. I have done the 5-day pouch test., lost about 13 pounds and then rebound during the next couple months, my volumes are not large that I can eat maybe 8-10 ounces after 5 years post-op which according to my research is the norm. The problem is my body seems to be hording everything I take in, like it is in starvation mode. When I noticed  my  surgeon didn't state in his OR report how much intestine was bypassed  (distal or proximal), I  asked,  he said he couldn't recall, but was sure he had noted it in his report. I am an RN, I showed him the OR report, all he said was HMMM I must have forgot to put it in my dictation. What I am trying to do is fix things, get back on track. My current diet consists of 2-3  protein shakes ( Whey- 30 grams), and one meal  (70% protein) with my family. I do drink one latte a day- ICED SF with one and half cups of Milk in it. I drink 40-60 ounces of water a day. I have been doing this for a few weeks and have lost nothing.
shele
on 10/4/09 9:02 am

wow, I would I guess start with revision dr's. Sounds like you need an egd maybe.  I also never made it to goal, and started regain at 17 months out.

I still have a hard time loosing, with a common channel of 120.  I have lost a total of 45 from my highest regain from March 23. I am a little over 50% ewl at 6 months out.

All I can tell you is dont give up and keep reading and researching the various types. Are there others that you know with your same surgeon? Maybe they are having similar problems and it wouldn't be unnatural that he would have done the same surgery on them. Maybe it is in their surgery notes?

shele
LiFeLoNg hEaLtH imY GoAl
RNY 5-11-04 280
Lowest weight 174
Highest re-gain 238

erny 3-23-09 (120 common channel

low post revision 190
Current Weight  204

Height 5'6"

GOAL 154 Normal BMI

PixieButterfly2005
on 10/4/09 2:27 pm - Eugene, OR
My understanding from past consults with him was that he customed each bypass length based on the ptatient. The only one that I know he did was after mine and that person, passed away 2 years ago from complications.
(deactivated member)
on 10/6/09 12:45 pm
You can try:
Steven Tersigni
Coos Bay
1-541-267-5151 EXT.1
More Info

That's all I know about him.

Michele
Most Active