Feeling of fullness lapband compared to bypass

sweetforlife
on 10/1/09 11:42 pm - Canada
How can one explain the feeling of fullness you get when you have the bypass? I have the band and I can be hungry but have a pain in my chest as a signal to hold off? How does the bypass feeling of fullness feel? Has anyone out there have the band and the bypass??? How do you rate/compare the two? I am scared to remove the band and it is the same feeling of fullness.
brandyII
on 10/2/09 8:02 am
I think for me it's a true sense of fullness since the size of my stomach is really small and it's not just a belt around my stomach where I can still drink/eat my calories.  I was one who never did well with the band and ended up gaining weight eventually after my 14 months being banded.  I'm only a few months out and I know things can change but I still feel a true sense of fullness now and if I eat too much or eat too many carbs/sweet I have dumping syndrome where I just feel very nauseaus and just want to lie down.  I can't really say I vomit, maybe slime a bit once in a while but I know when to stop eating now.  But with the band I still had major sweet cravings and knew I could always eat around the band and of course did when the healthier stuff wouldn't go down.  I still can't eat bread/doughy foods so that's pretty similar but my "cravings" has died down a lot since this surgery and I've lost weight which I suppose was the main goal also.

It's different and similar but to me much better and it works.  I know everyone is a bit different but that's the best I can do to describe it.  Good luck, Nancy.
      Revised from Lap band 8/22/07 to RNY 6/11/09   Starting weight 259lbs

peggy1011
on 10/2/09 8:18 am - Whitesboro, NY
Revision on 09/08/09 with
I just revised from lapband to RNY on 9/8.  Already I can tell there is a difference.  Like you said, with the band, u can still feel hunger, but have the pain in the chest which signals "enough".  I've noticed now, with RNY, I'm back to a "full" tummy feeling (even though this early out, I'm eating very small amounts of soft foods).  I'm very happy with my decision.

Peggy

Rose A.
on 10/4/09 11:26 am - Methuen, MA
agree with the other posters. With the band I always felt I was choking on my food and had a golf ball in my throat....with the RNY it is soooooooooooooooo much easier to eat!!!! I can eat everything! the fullness is just like before any surgeries...happens fast ......Love my RNY!

306/261.5/233.5/180

Highest/Day of surgery/CURRENT/Goal
Revision from Lap Band to RNY on June 16, 2009!!
Rose
        Success is a journey....not a  destination.
Dream as if you will live forever......Live as if you will die today.....

sweetforlife
on 10/6/09 8:38 pm - Canada
I am very glad to hear this...it is making my decision easier and easier!
Most Active