Lapband to RNY revision

sreed1966
on 9/29/09 9:57 am - Livonia, MI
I know some of you have had this done. I'm having it done all at once. How was it? I tolerate pain very well. I'm just wondering if this is going to be a double wamy! Just trying to mentally prepare myself. Thanks much in advance...
GayleTx
on 9/29/09 1:21 pm - northeast, TX
I had it done 3 weeks ago.....all in one procedure (removal of port, lapband, gall bladder, hernia repair and an open RNY).  It hurt. It still hurts some.   Maybe I'm just getting whiney but  I would compare it to a hysterectomy....but I was a lot younger then. Be prepared to sleep on your back and have help getting out of bed.......sleeping in a recliner or a lift chair would be very helpful the first couple of weeks.  But, on the bright side,  I didn't have any nausea or gas like some people do and have had no problems with food going down....which is a big relief after 3 and a half years with two lapbands and their 'mechanical failures.' 

However, I am willing to do this because I dont' want to regain the 160 lbs I lost with my first lapband, which I loved for 18 months.  I've managed to keep most of it off in spite of the complications....of course, you can't gain much living on liquids for 2 years, I guess.  Losing the weight has saved my life and I want to be around to enjoy this new life for a while!!

Best wishes to you, sweetie.......
emjayel56
on 9/29/09 9:01 pm - Boynton Beach,, FL
Hi I had my lapband removed 4 weeks ago.  It was done laparascopically.  I am doing fine; had no problems and the pain was all tolerable.  Within a week I was sleeping on my side and stomach.  I think laparascopically done vs. open makes a big difference.  You will do fine.  Good luck.  Email me if you have specific questions. 
maryjo
peggy1011
on 9/30/09 1:12 am - Whitesboro, NY
Revision on 09/08/09 with
I agree with Maryjo.  I just had my revision from lap band to RNY done 3 weeks ago, and I feel fine.  For me, the surgery was MUCH less painful than the original lapband.  I only required pain meds twice in the hospital, and nothing since I've been home.  I'm amazed at the difference, and at how good I feel.   You will do great!

Peggy

heatherlowrymom
on 9/30/09 1:43 am
I am having my band out Monday morning, and not having the revision until Dec...I am also wondering how you guys are doing, not so much with the pain, but with any associated side effects from RNY--i.e. I have a friend who gets dizzy a lot...tell me about those!
emjayel56
on 9/30/09 2:15 am - Boynton Beach,, FL
Peggy, I commented the same thing as you about how amazed I was at the recovery and how in some ways I felt like I healed quicker with the RNY surgery than the lapband (and I had 2 lapbands).  The only thing I felt was different was that I was tired for a longer period but doing fine with that now.

I have had no complications.

Good luck to you all
maryjo
Most Active