Realize Band Now On To???

audreynicole
on 9/28/09 11:13 am - Friendswood, TX
I have been doing great with my realize band.  I was banded 03/14/08.  Five months ago I went to the doctor for a sinus infection.  He prescribed a medication for me that was a one time liquid dose since I do not do well with pills.  Here's where the problem started.  I was allergic to the medication.  I began to vomit then dry heave.  I did not realize that when you puke you are to have an unfill right away to give you stomach a chance for the swelling to go down.  Two days later I went into my doctors office letting the nurse know that I had been puking like crazy.  She unfilled me right away and told me that anytime I vomit to just walk into the office and they would see me for an unfill.  Well I ended up being unfilled once more  because I still didn't seem to hold food down too well.  It has been months of me vomiting.  I had a second swallow study on this past Thursday.  After my swallow study my band was emptied and I was admitted into the hospital for x-rays and fluids.  Now here is where I am at...what to do.  It seems from the vomiting my band has slipped this could be corrected or I could have a revision.  I am at lost.  Part of me loves my band and wants to have it fixed then part of me doesn't want to run the risk of this happening in the future and needing another surgery down the road.  I am 4 11 and currently weight 180.   Everyone around me keeps saying that I should just have the band removed and go with nothing.  I feel so angry when people say that.  I mean if it was that easy to control don't they think I would have done that instead of surgery.  Some people just don't understand.  The other part of me thinks I should do the RNY since my BMI is 36 my doc says I can still have that done if I want.  I am just not sure what to do.  Sorry for the rant.  I would just like advice from people who have been there done that or just understand what "hunger" is.
**Live-Laugh-Love**    Before Band/Current/Goal
       Audrey  
             253          180     143

emjayel56
on 9/28/09 10:15 pm - Boynton Beach,, FL
HI Audrey,
I can totally relate to what you are saying.  I was exactly where you are.  I loved my band.  I had a band for 9 years with various problems but I coped with it and made it work somewhat.  I lost 100 lbs, gained back about 35 but was maintaining.  I was 5'1 with a bmi of about 39.  End of last year I found out my band had slipped.  I was like you and out of fear of a more radical procedure I opted to have them replace the band.  February 2009 I had a new band put in but the damage from the past one was already there and although I lost 30 lbs. initially i was unable to lose any more weight and I was having all these esophagus problems.  Long story short I needed to get that band out and although my bmi was still below 40 and my friends/family told me the same thing, just take it out, I knew that I would only gain and gain and gain without any limit and I knew that I would need some type of surgery.  One month ago yesterday I had my revision from a band to RNY bypass.  I am doing wonderful, have no regrets and hoping that this will help me reach my ultimate goal.  While your story may not be exactly the same I totally relate to what you are saying.  If you have any questions feel free to email me.

You know yourself better than anyone else, reseach all the surgeries and discuss with your surgeon.  All the best to you.   Maryjo
smileyjamie72
on 9/29/09 6:43 am - Palmer, AK
Hi there!!!! 

I hope this link to the Lightweights board helps you!!!
http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/wls_lightweights/

There is a great bunch of people there, I think you should post this over there, too.  I bet there are people who have had the lapband, and revised to something else.

Good Luck!!!!
-Jamie

RNY 2/26/2002                           DS 12/29/2011
HW 317                                     SW 263 BMI 45.1
SW 298                                     CW 192 BMI 32.9~60% EWL
LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003

Normal BMI 24.8 is my GOAL!!!

GBP (RNY) 2/26/02 298 lbs, TT 4/9/03 151 lbs, DS 12/29/11
HW 317 SW 263 BMI 45.1/CW 192 BMI 32.9/GW 145 ~ Normal BMI 24.8
**Revision Journey started 3/2009 Approved 12/12/11**

Most Active