RNY revision questions...please help me understand.

hopperandlisa
on 9/28/09 9:04 am
I am 3 years post op.  I had ZERO complications, until the 3rd year.  I have had 2 ulcers, 3 EGDs w/dilation, and 2 unsuccesful stents.  Both stents were horribly painful when first put in.  I threw up for the first few days with both stents...both stents moved and had to be removed.... they never did help.  The 2nd, and last stent ,actually created a new ulcer, which I'm battling now.  My Drs are Dr Roger DeLaTorre, Dr Steven Scott and their newest partner Dr. Morallis at WL Institute, DePaul Hospital, in St Louis, MO.  As of Thursday I have strictured up yet again. I'm throwing up almost everything I eat again.  After speaking with Dr Morallis today, he said they think it's time to consider a revision.  They've tried NOT to do the revision up to this point.  They have said it's dangerous, it's a "last resort".  I'm scared to death and quite depressed to be completely honest with ya'll.  I look just HORRID. I wanted to lose weight, and I did, ....and now I look just sick.  I started out at 364# and I'm down to 130#.   I wanted to get down to about 155# and now I'm just simply "un-healthy". I have no energy and it's all I can do to work full time at my job. I come home and I lay in bed the rest of the night..I'm just exhausted!  Have any of you had the this RNY revision after having ulcers and strictures....and ANY ADVICE would be greatly appreciated!!  As of right now, it seems just too drastic of a surgery to me.  I asked that they consider one more try at the EGD w/ balloon dilation, but I really do not think they'll consider that form the way Dr Morallis talked today. I'm petrified and really just confused. Thanks in advance!
Lisa Rice
Scott City, MO
smileyjamie72
on 9/28/09 9:54 am - Palmer, AK
Lisa,

My only thought is  SECOND OPINION TIME!!!!

-Jamie

RNY 2/26/2002                           DS 12/29/2011
HW 317                                     SW 263 BMI 45.1
SW 298                                     CW 192 BMI 32.9~60% EWL
LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003

Normal BMI 24.8 is my GOAL!!!

GBP (RNY) 2/26/02 298 lbs, TT 4/9/03 151 lbs, DS 12/29/11
HW 317 SW 263 BMI 45.1/CW 192 BMI 32.9/GW 145 ~ Normal BMI 24.8
**Revision Journey started 3/2009 Approved 12/12/11**

hopperandlisa
on 9/28/09 9:57 am
Jamie,
The only problem with the second opinions is that other GI's don't seem to want to "see" a patient unless they did the original GP.  Anyone else experience that?  I know that MY Dr won't see anyone that he did not do the GP on..I've been in his office and heard his secretary tell people that on the phone.
phlebolady66
on 9/29/09 10:14 am - Strongsville, OH
So true, no one wants to see me.  Know all the docs and nurses where I went are no longer there and no one told me. I have been leaving messages for my nurse and I found out today that she and the docs are no longer there and that I have to start as a new patient when I had my RNY in 06. I am having a multitude of problems also and I can't seem to get a doc to follow up.  Aren't we supposed to be followed for the rest of our lives. How can we when other docs wont see or fix other docs messes. I sure hope you get it fixed.  It sounds horrible.
shele
on 10/1/09 5:58 am

Don't know how far you are from Dayton, but premier bariatirics, Dr. Maguire should be willing to see you. He was not my original surgeion, and my original surgeon does not do any type of revisions( at that time).

937-208-5300

I also recieved his home phone number! He is a good dr! He has been doing this since 78

Just doesn't believe in full ds revisions as he will tell you the loss is the same to do bowel only to ds.

shele
LiFeLoNg hEaLtH imY GoAl
RNY 5-11-04 280
Lowest weight 174
Highest re-gain 238

erny 3-23-09 (120 common channel

low post revision 190
Current Weight  204

Height 5'6"

GOAL 154 Normal BMI

Teena A.
on 9/28/09 9:57 am, edited 9/28/09 9:58 am - Mesquite, TX
Lisa ,

I am truly sorry to hear that you are going through all of this.

I have no advice for you other than to agree with Jamie and suggest you get a second or third opinion.

There are a lot of doctors out there who will not touch you unless they did the original surgery, but there are a lot that will.

I will keep you in my prayers.

Teena Adler
Facebook Contact Info/Email address:Skyedan[email protected]
10/09/09 - Distal Gastric Bypass (ERNY) Revision - Common Channel 90

"Never Let People,Places,Or Things Stand In Your Way Of Fulfilling Your Goals And Living Out Your Dreams." Teena Adler

hopperandlisa
on 9/28/09 9:58 am
Thanks Teena,
I was hoping that others on this message board have had RNY revision due to the same complications, and that they have a success story to tell me....keeping fingers crossed that someone else speaks up. I need a healthy pep talk right now.
Lisa
Teena A.
on 9/28/09 10:38 am, edited 9/28/09 10:40 am - Mesquite, TX
I know of one who is in a similar situation and she has a feeding tube.

No doctor so far has been willing to help her, but she does have some options to see two other doctors who are willing to help her.

She had to call around though.

She got some no's at first, but she did get two who will see her and hear her case out.

Never give up.

Use that anger to get what you need done accomplished..

Just keep hitting the list of WLS surgeons on this site who do revisions
and explain your situation to them of why you need to have your surgery revised.

I know it is real easy to feel depressed and let down and just want to give up because of your situation, but from what you have explained you have no time for that
as your life depends on your ability to be your own advocate and fight.

I wish you well.

Teena Adler
Facebook Contact Info/Email address:Skyedan[email protected]
10/09/09 - Distal Gastric Bypass (ERNY) Revision - Common Channel 90

"Never Let People,Places,Or Things Stand In Your Way Of Fulfilling Your Goals And Living Out Your Dreams." Teena Adler

(deactivated member)
on 9/28/09 1:15 pm - Menomonee Falls, WI
We have Dr. Chua in Milwaukee that really is great.  He has been doing bariatric surgery since the 70's.  I would call him.. Bless and good luck, Daisy
shele
on 9/28/09 11:38 pm

Get on the ds facts site and find a reputable ds revision surgeon!

There are a few, post on the ds forum if you cant find them

good luck

shele
LiFeLoNg hEaLtH imY GoAl
RNY 5-11-04 280
Lowest weight 174
Highest re-gain 238

erny 3-23-09 (120 common channel

low post revision 190
Current Weight  204

Height 5'6"

GOAL 154 Normal BMI