who has gotten a revision from the band with reflux the only complication?

marcie K.
on 9/27/09 9:15 am - Sahuarita, AZ

Well the title says it; I've now had my reflux confirmed and have no anatomical reason to be having it so... just wondered if anybody had revised when that has been the only complication?  I'm loosing well and love the bad (-72lb in six months) but the reflux scares me!

babsintx
on 9/27/09 10:45 pm - GA
Hi, Have you had fills? Reflux comes from a too tight band.

Babs
Band to sleeve revision

marcie K.
on 9/27/09 11:22 pm - Sahuarita, AZ
I have had fills and was unfilled for 2 months without any effect on the reflux.  I was emailing a new surgeon and he said 25% of band patients develop reflux.  It's not from a too tight band.
emjayel56
on 9/27/09 11:56 pm - Boynton Beach,, FL
I had lapband for 9 years; suffered with reflux for most of it.  Kind of lived with it and did constant fills and unfills.  After 9 years and other problems developing I replaced lapband with another lapband but 9 months later needed to do a revision to a bypass which i did one month ago ... no more reflux.  Good luck.
missnanajean
on 10/1/09 12:38 pm - Friendswood, TX
Emjaye, How is it going? Will you share your postop experience with us who are having lapband to RNy soon? Any advise please share.  How was the pain and how long did you stay off work?  Miss Jean
emjayel56
on 10/1/09 10:01 pm - Boynton Beach,, FL

Hi Miss Jean
Of course I will share any of my experience with you.  I can tell you for me it was not a bad experience at all.  My doctors were able to do it laparascopically in a 2 hour procedure.  My pain when I woke up was tolerable.  I would say that I was more uncomfortable with the drains than anything else.  I was out of bed the next morning walking.  My biggest complaint was the drains; I used the pain pump for about a day and then just plain tylenol.  I was in the hospital from Mon to Friday but probably could have left Thursday.  Both me and my surgeon were more caution and I stayed the extra day.  I had no appetite (still dont) and other than the tiredness that lasted about 3 weeks it was uneventful.  I returned to work part-time after 2 weeks. This is second week at work and I am working about 7 hours a day and next week I will work full-time.  I manage a law firm of 75 people so my job keeps me up and walking around a lot.  Please feel feel free to email with any specific questions you have and of course all the best to you.
maryjo

(deactivated member)
on 9/28/09 12:46 am - AZ
On September 27, 2009 at 4:15 PM Pacific Time, mars817 wrote:

Well the title says it; I've now had my reflux confirmed and have no anatomical reason to be having it so... just wondered if anybody had revised when that has been the only complication?  I'm loosing well and love the bad (-72lb in six months) but the reflux scares me!

Reflux certainly was not my only issue with banding but it was one of them.

There was a study I read about a year ago showing that the anatomical changes that the band creates causes horrific reflux in a great many people.

Please know, if it is bothering you this much it will only get worse with time and it's really dangerous, you could end up with Barretts Esophagus. :o(

(deactivated member)
on 9/28/09 9:32 am - NJ
Yes - that was me.  I had reflux with the band emptied and full.  I had reflux before I had the band, and the band just made it worse.

My RNY has cured my reflux!  
Most Active