Recent Deaths Due To Revision?

lorettasings
on 9/26/09 9:31 am - Todd, NC

Hello all!  I have been reading the memorial page the last few days.  I notice that most all the posts are for people who have passed away a few years ago.  Has the death rate changed?  Are there less deaths now due to better procedures?  I am in the process of getting all my paperwork done to have a revision and I am trying to find out as much info as I can on this.

taraemerson
on 9/26/09 4:00 pm - New Boston, TX
im gonna be one of those people i hate and use the "they say" expression

i cannot for the life of me remember where i heard it, but "they said" WLS is no longer considered risky....the reason it used to be considered risky is because it was a relatively new surgery, but since so many MD's are doing it and the success rate of getting off the table alive has increased tenfold....

i think the same can be said for revision, its still a newer  practice to revise a surgery that its considered risky, just check ur surgeons ability to do revisions....

Good luck on getting ur revision, im still in the waiting game myself....should know something next week though...

dont take no for an answer is what ive been told...."they' told me that....lol
Teena A.
on 9/26/09 9:52 pm, edited 9/26/09 10:00 pm - Mesquite, TX
Loretta,

Although there are going to be deaths listed on the memorial board that may be as a result of a complication related to WLS you have to open each and every one and read what they died of.

A lot of those people died due to reasons not at all related to WLS.

Do not let the long list of names fool you.

All I can tell you is follow your doctors instructions before and after surgery and be compliant 100% with your vitamin regimen and follow up appointments.

If you have unhealthy vices (eating disorder, drug abuse, alcohol abuse, or risky behavior that can kill you) get treatment for them now through a 12 step program or counseling as they will not go away on their own and unless you deal with them they will come back to haunt you later on down the road on your journey.

If you have major co-morbidities make sure that you are doing all that you can to take your meds on a regular basis even when you do not feel like it.

Those are just some of the ways you can be sure to increase your chances of staying around on the earth for as long as possible.

Be sure to do the necessary research related to your doctors license and credentials as well as the hospital you will be at for any surgery.

That is as safe as anyone can be with any type of surgery.

Just so you do not think I am preaching to you what I listed above are some of the things people have died of as well as Cancer and other things on the list that you read.

Their deaths were listed on the WLS website even if it was not WLS related because they were Obesity Help Family.

I just wanted to make sure you understood that all the deaths were not related to WLS, but they were all tragic non the less.

Pray to God or your higher power to keep you safe.

I wish you well on your journey.

Teena Adler
Facebook Contact Info/Email address:Skyedan[email protected]
10/09/09 - Distal Gastric Bypass (ERNY) Revision - Common Channel 90

"Never Let People,Places,Or Things Stand In Your Way Of Fulfilling Your Goals And Living Out Your Dreams." Teena Adler

susang
on 9/27/09 8:24 am - CA
How do you find out how a person dies..I have only seen memorials so far that have not specified how...Can you help me as to where you find out the specific info...thanks!!!
susang
on 9/27/09 8:27 am - CA
never mind I found it
Teena A.
on 9/27/09 8:29 am - Mesquite, TX
It is on the web page most of the time.

The other times it comes from knowing the people or friends or family of theirs.

I have been on this board for years so unfortunately some of these people that passed on the memorial were friends of mine and the knowledge is first hand and may not be posted on their sites, but Obesity Help tries their best to update as they can.
Teena Adler

"Never Let People,Places,Or Things Stand In Your Way Of Fulfilling Your Goals And Living Out Your Dreams." Teena Adler

(deactivated member)
on 9/29/09 7:39 am - Phx, AZ
All I can say is ask questions...  What type of revision are you having?  Will the surgeon give you less absorption???  If so, what complications can there be from that???  How much small intestine will he leave?  Is it possible to maintain necessary vitamin/nutritional absorption with this procedure?  If not, don't do it.  For example, there is so little that is known at this point as to the long-term affects of a very, very long revision to the small intestinal procedure.   This not only can affect one's nutrition because of absorption (or lack thereof), but also can alter the bone marrow and blood cells as well as other major aspects of one's entire person.  And up until now, there is not a whole lot written on the matter of living well (or even the death rate) because there has not been adequate time to study the long-term effects.Find out as much as possible.  Best wishes for you.
sweetforlife
on 10/1/09 7:26 am - Canada
Where is this board?
Teena A.
on 10/1/09 7:35 am - Mesquite, TX
Teena Adler

Most Active