Feeling Very Lost

phlebolady66
on 9/26/09 6:24 am - Strongsville, OH

I don't know if I am on the right message board. I had open RNY 3/03 and I did really well for a year then all heck broke loose.  I developed Dysautonomia, I kept getting hospitalized for blockages then my diabetes came back with a vengence. I shoot up really high then half hour or so I bottom out. I had to eat when not hungry cause my glucose would go down under 50.  Then in 2006 I had my appendix out (don't know why no one ever took it out with all the ab surgeries I had.) and I formed a illeus and got a parasite ifection.  They had to open my incision and let it heal. I was in hosp for almost 3 weeks.

Since then I have packed on over 90 pounds (that happened within a 6 mos period after the appendectomy.) I have not gained any weight for over a year but I can't get it off. I didn't over eat and i was at curves busting butt 4-5 x a week. My vitamin levels are all low and I have to have IV treatment for Iron.

I feel like such a failure.  I haven't been back to see gastric doc since 07. Now he is not with the practice. I have been trying for over 6 mos to see someone else.

It doesn't feel right.  I don't know what to do. I don't know what to eat any more. I am so tired. I look in the mirror and want to puke. I was so close and now I am just a big fat --s now.

I think I have some malabsorbtion issues and I don't know what to do. Any suggestions? What is a good vitamin to take? They changed the chewable prenatal that I was taking and now they give me hives. Many of the vitamins dont have iron. I totally don't understand the calcium situations posted here.

I really hate giving myself b-12 shots weekly.

Protein shakes? any suggestions which are good?

I know its a lot but I really need some guidance.

Jupiter6
on 9/26/09 7:02 am - Near Media, Pa- South of Philly, NJ
You need to be taking 1600-2000 mg of calcium CITRATE--- daily.

You need at least two large adult multivitamins-- like Centrum.

If you are still of menstruating age, you need an iron supplement.

Protein should be made of whey isolate. Unjury is good, WalMart's "Body Fortress" is also pretty good and inexpensive.

Have your labs run and see what your Calcium, Vitamin D and PTH look like. This is how you will find out if you are malabsorptive. You MUST take all of the above supplements though, at the minimum.

"Oh sweet and sour Jesus, that is GOOD!" - Stephen Colbert  Lap RNY 7/07-- Lap Gallbladder 5/08--  
     Emergency Bowel Repair
6/08 -Dr. Meilahn, Temple U.  
 Upper and Lower Bleph/Lower Face Lift 
12/08 
     Fraxel Repair 2/09-- Lower Bleph Re-Do 5/09  -Dr. Pontell, Media PA  Mastopexy/Massive 
     Brachioplasty/ Extended Abdominoplasty 
(plus Mons Lift and Upper Leg lift) / Hernia Repair
      6/24/09 ---Butt Lift and Lateral Thighplasty Scheduled 7/6/10
 - Dr. Ivor Kaplan VA Beach

Total Cost: $33,500   Start wt: 368   RNY wt: 300  Goal wt: 150   Current wt: 148.2  BMI: 24.7

mew6495
on 9/26/09 9:36 am - MI
On September 26, 2009 at 1:24 PM Pacific Time, phlebolady66 wrote:

I don't know if I am on the right message board. I had open RNY 3/03 and I did really well for a year then all heck broke loose.  I developed Dysautonomia, I kept getting hospitalized for blockages then my diabetes came back with a vengence. I shoot up really high then half hour or so I bottom out. I had to eat when not hungry cause my glucose would go down under 50.  Then in 2006 I had my appendix out (don't know why no one ever took it out with all the ab surgeries I had.) and I formed a illeus and got a parasite ifection.  They had to open my incision and let it heal. I was in hosp for almost 3 weeks.

Since then I have packed on over 90 pounds (that happened within a 6 mos period after the appendectomy.) I have not gained any weight for over a year but I can't get it off. I didn't over eat and i was at curves busting butt 4-5 x a week. My vitamin levels are all low and I have to have IV treatment for Iron.

I feel like such a failure.  I haven't been back to see gastric doc since 07. Now he is not with the practice. I have been trying for over 6 mos to see someone else.

It doesn't feel right.  I don't know what to do. I don't know what to eat any more. I am so tired. I look in the mirror and want to puke. I was so close and now I am just a big fat --s now.

I think I have some malabsorbtion issues and I don't know what to do. Any suggestions? What is a good vitamin to take? They changed the chewable prenatal that I was taking and now they give me hives. Many of the vitamins dont have iron. I totally don't understand the calcium situations posted here.

I really hate giving myself b-12 shots weekly.

Protein shakes? any suggestions which are good?

I know its a lot but I really need some guidance.

First of all YOU ARE NOT A FAILURE!  You may very well have a mechanical failure going on.  You may also have a metabolic issue as many do who have WLS after a time out from it.  I am sorry to hear of your troubles.

If it is a revision you are looking for, you have choices and it can definitely help you with the regained weight.  I would suggest finding an experienced revision surgeon who can help you through this.  Try to find one who has experience in more then one type of revision so you know they are just not trying to sell you on the one they are comfortable with.  It needs to be one that YOU are comfortable with...  Read  the other boards as well as the revision board to see what your options are.  There is RNY to DS (very complicated and high risk but has good long term statistics), ERNY, Band over Bypass (BOB) etc.

As far as vitamins...it is extremely important to to maintain compliancy with these.  I agree with with what Jupiter mentioned.  The only other things I would add is, even if you are not menstruating, take an iron and vitamin D supplement daily as we do tend to malabsorb this as well.  Take your D with your calcium and never take your calcium with your Iron supplement.  Make sure you wait a couple of hours between taking, as you won't absorb calcium if it is taken with iron (or it may be the other way around) but due take them separately.  I take 2 multi vitamins, prescription iron, B12,  calcium citrate, and Dry A, D, E and K every day and in high doses.

For protein I prefer, Max Protein, Unjury, Syntha-6 or Pro Complex.

Good luck to you.  Please keep us posted on how you are doing!

Mew

Most Active