Who is the best revision surgeon?

Becky517
on 9/26/09 6:14 am - TX
I am considering revision from RNY to ERNY - wondering who you all think are the best surgeons.  I live in Texas, but traveling to another state would not be a problem.  I had proximal RNY Jan of 2004, starting weight 310, lost down to 170 (never made it to goal) and have steadily regained up to 210...i'm scared to death of gaining it all back.. i have tried everything, 5 day pouch test, atkins, southbeach, calolrie counting..nothing is working - i was diagnosed with ulcer at the anastamosis of my pouch last year, put on carafate for one month, still have to take prilosec sometimes.  any insight would be appreciated.
funrn55
on 9/26/09 11:51 am - Folsom, CA
Hi Becky,
         Kent Sasse in Reno,Nevada did my Stomaphyx surgery a week ago.He is a very sweet man,and his staff is excellent.Your story is very similar to mine in terms of weight lost and gained.I understand the frustration.So far,I have lost 16 lbs,and WILL get to my goal of 165  this time.Hope this helps
GayleTx
on 9/26/09 12:28 pm - northeast, TX
Becky,
Dr. Kenneth Warnock (his clinic is a Center of Excellence)  in Wichita Falls TX does many revisions....he's been doing bariatric surgery for 25 years and is highly respected....there are always people in his waiting room from all over the country (there was one from Alaska when I was there the first time!).  He did my revision 3 weeks ago and I was impressed with the time he spent with me during the first visit, making sure he understood my bariatric history and concerns.  The hospital has a dedicated bariatric unit and most of the nurses there have had weight loss surgery themselves and they spend a great deal of time with each patient educating them and teaching them to care for themselves.   There is a very nice hospitality house across the street from the hospital for out-of-town patients after they are released from the hospital , and their families can stay there, too.   
Becky517
on 9/27/09 7:39 am - TX
Thank you for your response Gayle - I actually have a friend who used him for her RNy a few years ago - she absolutely loves him - i didnt know he did revisions - and he is only a 4 hr drive from house.  What type of revision did you have? 
jeanyjane
on 9/27/09 8:22 am - Germany
One top-notch revision surgeon in Texas is a Dr. Daryl A. Steward. He does the DS and I think he`s also doing RNY to DS revisions, therefore he will be able to do a revision to an ERNY too if you really want one. Other top-notch revision surgeons who are regarded to be the best of the US are Rabkin and Kesheshian (Calinfornia), Gagner, Husted (Kentucky). They all can do the most complicated of all revisions, the RNY to DS, and take those complicated cases no one else wants to touch.

HAve you researched the different revision types despite the ERNY? The DS is another option, considered more complicated and risky, but also more effective.

Good luck!
GayleTx
on 9/27/09 11:05 am - northeast, TX
Becky, I had had two bands, lost 160 lbs with the first one then had a slippage....the second one never did work right, never even had a fill before it slipped, too.  So I went to see Dr. W for a second opinion......he recommended removal of the band and revision to RNY and that's what I did 3 weeks ago.  

He's 3 hours from my house (I'm east of him) but it's really easier going to Wichita than it is into Dallas.....more miles but no traffic so the time is about the same. ! And I felt much more at ease with the office and hospital staff there than I had at any of the Dallas hospitals I've been in in the past few years (at least the ones in Wichita speak English!). 

Hope things work out well for you.......
MsFancyPants
on 9/30/09 6:26 am
I've heard that Dr. Higa in Fresno California is absolutely amazing.  He will be my doctor when I have my surgery (not a revision) but from what I've been told (by other doctors/patients) he is the best of the best.
JROLFSON
on 10/1/09 2:16 am - St. George, UT
Hi Becky:

I had ERNY May 20th....I had RNY in 1989 and kept my weight off almost 20 years but gained up to 214 within the last 4 years...I have lost 38 lbs since surgery and am feeling great...

Dr. Eric Schlessinger was my surgeon in Tempe, Arizona...I would say Dr. S has done more ERNY's on patients who post here, than most surgeons who do the procedure...But I caution you regarding this surgery...read, read, read...know what your getting no matter what surgeon you choose as the shortened common channel is so important...I personally wouldn't and this is only a personal opinion go under 100 cc...Although in the beginning I begged Dr. S for 75 or shorter...I am so dumb...thank God he wasn't going to be told by me what I needed.

There are several people who have gone shorter and they are or have experienced problems....The long term results for ERNY doesn't go much beyond 2 years....that's somewhat scary as nobody knows what the long term results will truly say...Although there are a few Distal RNY'ers on here who have several years of stats and they are doing great...Being a dilligent Vitamin and Protein taker is the key thing...

Go through the past posts...Do you research on ERNY'ers there are many, that is how I got my information...Email all you can find...they are honest and caring...I love all my ERNY friends, so will you...If you would like a list of names...just PM me and I will be happy to forward them to you...

Janie
ginau
on 10/1/09 4:05 am - mesa, AZ
Becky

I know Dr skill is very important. BUT  I think you need to look at other things first

1. length of common channel??? 125, 100,  under 100 cm  - this can determine what  success you will have . look at your past history of loosing weight.

2. are there any medical conditions in your family history  that might effect you with age? ( blood type issue")

3 Are you a complient person ?  will to take your vitamins religiously. get regular blood draws?

4 what is your general demeanor?   how quick to you expect to loose the additional weight?

Do you have issue's with  not eating protein? are you a carb aholic??

** yes I have an ERNY done by Dr Schlesinger here in Phoenix.   I am doing ok with it - my success or failure  is based on my behavior.  the Dr gave me a tool and I elected to use it and take care of it.  some days I leave it out in the rain and other days I shine it . ( good& bad days )

GinaU aka Jeanna 
 RNY revised  to Extended RNY 5/2008
Total loss 181 and counting 

-

mew6495
on 10/1/09 8:21 am, edited 10/1/09 8:22 am - MI
Hi Becky,

I had an ERNY Oct 2008.  I have a CC of 75 cm.  I am at goal, do not suffer many of the side effects I that see others posting on and to date have had no major complications because of it.  BUT....I am only 1 year out!

I agree with Janie, DO YOU RESEARCH.  Any WLS with an extended bypass of the small intestine can cause major issue and sometimes life threating ones if your system does not handle this type well, if you are non complicant, if you can not stick to an elevated vitamin regime for the REST OF YOUR LIFE  etc, etc etc.   There are some who have had ERNY and DS that have experienced major complications due to the shortened CC. 

The fiirst important thing is to do your research, the 2nd is if you decide to go through with it, find a very qualifed surgeon who does revisions not just virgin wls.  Google Intestinal bypass and you will come up with tons of hits all the way back to the JIB intestinal bypass they did in the 70's.  Some reports I came across are likening this to the DS of today.  I think what they are getting at is that you have to decide for yourself if the risks are worth it.  Fact is that there is not a lot of very long term information out there yet for either the ERNY or the DS.  However, the DShas more.  By long term I mean more then 15 to 20 years.  Not 10 and under.

Not trying to scare you just want to reinforce the importance of a really good revision surgeon, knowledge of the procedure you are seeking and the importance of complicance.  The other thing is to remember, ANY WLS is meant as a tool not a fix all.  While some have better statistics then others they ALL have their side effects and potential problems.

Good Luck to you.  Keep us posted on how you make out.

MEW

Most Active