confused, which revision

FernTate
on 9/24/09 2:06 am
I have mechanical failure of my RNY.  After 4 endoscopies, my stoma was stretched.  All this
happened shortly after my original surgery due to a failed/botched stoma dialation.  My issue
is food falls thru.  I've regained 25 of my 65lb post-op weight loss.  I never even got close to  my goal.  Wouldn't the fobi band be easiest and less invasive than other revisions?  I value your
experience and opinions.  I worry my surgeon will recommend only the revision he might be
familiar with, rather than what would be best for me.
mew6495
on 9/24/09 7:41 am - MI
On September 24, 2009 at 9:06 AM Pacific Time, FernTate wrote:
I have mechanical failure of my RNY.  After 4 endoscopies, my stoma was stretched.  All this
happened shortly after my original surgery due to a failed/botched stoma dialation.  My issue
is food falls thru.  I've regained 25 of my 65lb post-op weight loss.  I never even got close to  my goal.  Wouldn't the fobi band be easiest and less invasive than other revisions?  I value your
experience and opinions.  I worry my surgeon will recommend only the revision he might be
familiar with, rather than what would be best for me.
 Hi Fern,

Sorry I am not sure about the Fobi band and wether it is the best or not so not able to help you very much there.  I would suggest getting 3 opinions.  Find a surgeon(s) who performs several different types of revisions and discuss your situation with them, then you can be sure the doctor  is just not suggesting a certain type because it is all he knows and is comfortable with.  It will also give you better peace of mind that you did all you could do once the decision is made.  There are many types of revisions, research all available.  Choose according to what you want, what your lifestyle is like and what you feel you can live with.

Good luck to you.  Please keep us posted on your journey.

JROLFSON
on 9/25/09 5:10 am - St. George, UT
Hi Fern:

I too had failure with my stoma as well...The opening is wider than the circumfrance of the pouch...I am familiar with Dr. Hilga if he is in Fresno, CA? He is an excellent surgeon and he performs several types of Revisions including the DS and ERNY...

But you have two other excellent revision surgeons in your area; Dr. Keshishian in Delano, CA probably the best DS Revision Surgeon you can find anywhere and Dr. Rabkin in San Francisco...I would get 2nd and 3rd opinions from both of these surgeons if I were you...

Regarding the Fobi Band...I have heard as much bad as I have good about that procedure...Doesn't seem like the way to go just one more thing placed in your body that is foreign and shouldn't be there...Whatever you do, I recommend something that doesn't require a foreign object...such as DS, ERNY...

Good Luck.

Janie
FernTate
on 9/25/09 7:25 am
Thanks, you are so right.  So many battles now; including insurance again.  Depressing and exhausting.  My complications after first surgery  nearly killed me (transfusions, feeding tube,
10 days in hospital), so I am terrified of doing it all again.  No trust, very poor care. 
Most Active