Denied

Murt
on 9/23/09 8:43 am - Thornton, CO
When I originally had my gastric bypass surgery my husband's company offered BCBS with gastric bypass surgery as a covered procedure.  Two years ago they changed to United HealthCare and decided to no longer cover gastric bypass  surgery.  I just found out today we are no longer covered for anything to do with obesity surgery.  I told the people in the HR department it would have been nice to know of this change.  Xcel Energy is a large employer and I am surprised by their change.  I know I am not the only person to have had bypass surgery when we had BCBS that has developed some type of complication. 

Hopefully there is something they can do so I can get this darn fistula closed and get back on track.

Myspace LayoutsMyspace Text Generator, Myspace GraphicsMyspace BackgroundsMyspace CodesMyspace Codesmyspace layouts, myspace codes, glitter graphics

emjayel56
on 9/23/09 10:12 am - Boynton Beach,, FL
Good luck... i have read stories here similar to yours where they were told the insurance does not cover obesity surgery only to have it approved in the long run so dont give up!  Best of luck to you.
maryjo
Teena A.
on 9/23/09 10:25 am, edited 9/23/09 10:29 am - Mesquite, TX
Murt,

I am sorry to hear of this issue that you are having.

Have you appealed anyway?

Do not listen to what they tell you unless you see it in writing on your policy.

If you have surgery through another insurance company and your husbands company changed to another insurance company and opted to change things that your previous policy covered they should have informed you of the changes and by law they are obligated to treat you should you have a complication from previous surgery.

Do not just give up.

Fight til you have no more fight in you.

Get the companies policy in writing before you throw in the towel.

I will keep you in my prayers and I wish you the best of luck.

Teena Adler
Facebook Contact Info/Email address:Skyedan[email protected]
10/09/09 - Distal Gastric Bypass (ERNY) Revision - Common Channel 90

"Never Let People,Places,Or Things Stand In Your Way Of Fulfilling Your Goals And Living Out Your Dreams." Teena Adler

Teena A.
on 10/4/09 12:50 pm - Mesquite, TX
Teena Adler
Facebook Contact Info/Email address:Skyedan[email protected]
10/09/09 - Distal Gastric Bypass (ERNY) Revision - Common Channel 90

"Never Let People,Places,Or Things Stand In Your Way Of Fulfilling Your Goals And Living Out Your Dreams." Teena Adler

shele
on 10/4/09 10:12 pm

Teena is RIght!

I was denied also.  Hubbys co is self insured, changed from cigna to uhc back to cigna.  He is also a union shop, and they had NO CHOICE but to cover it.  If you have a mechanical failure, they are pretty much stuck!  DON't take no for an answer!

Good Luck!

shele
LiFeLoNg hEaLtH imY GoAl
RNY 5-11-04 280
Lowest weight 174
Highest re-gain 238

erny 3-23-09 (120 common channel

low post revision 190
Current Weight  204

Height 5'6"

GOAL 154 Normal BMI

Murt
on 10/5/09 12:09 am - Thornton, CO
Thank you to everyone for the words on encouragement and advise.  I contacted my husband's HR department to try and get some clarification of the coverage.  I am still waiting for someone to call me back. 

Myspace LayoutsMyspace Text Generator, Myspace GraphicsMyspace BackgroundsMyspace CodesMyspace Codesmyspace layouts, myspace codes, glitter graphics

Most Active