2 weeks out HELP

betsy09
on 9/23/09 7:42 am
Hi,
I need some help.
I am 2 weeks out from haing my RNY.  I got the go ahead from my surgeon to proceed with pureed food.  Well.....I know it was wrong.  I did not have the blender, and I had tuna mixed with a little mayo.  I had this yesterday for lunch.  Last night I had some nausea.  I had a carnetion brekafst drink for breakfast and like 2 TBS of egg beaters for lunch.  I feel soooo full.  I dont even want to drink my liquids for how full I feel.  I do feel a little crampy.   Is this normal to feel this full?  Or did i cause a blockage with the tuna.  I have had a bm since the tuna.

HELP PLEASE
peggy1011
on 9/23/09 10:47 pm - Whitesboro, NY
Revision on 09/08/09 with
You may want to go a little slower as you try new pureed foods.  My NUT recommends trying each new food first with the tip of a teaspoon, gradually progressing to 2 teaspoons, and eventually to 2 TBSP, over the course of a week.   This way, you can easily find out what you can and cannot tolerate.  I'm also just a little beyond 2 weeks out.  I've been eating grits, yogurt, mashed potatoe, applesause. I can also have runny oatmeal and cream of wheat, but havent tried those yet.    Friday I can start tuna and scrambled eggs, and a nibble of a cracker.  Your pouch is still healing, so take things SLOW.   

Peggy

mew6495
on 9/24/09 8:00 am - MI
On September 23, 2009 at 2:42 PM Pacific Time, betsy09 wrote:
Hi,
I need some help.
I am 2 weeks out from haing my RNY.  I got the go ahead from my surgeon to proceed with pureed food.  Well.....I know it was wrong.  I did not have the blender, and I had tuna mixed with a little mayo.  I had this yesterday for lunch.  Last night I had some nausea.  I had a carnetion brekafst drink for breakfast and like 2 TBS of egg beaters for lunch.  I feel soooo full.  I dont even want to drink my liquids for how full I feel.  I do feel a little crampy.   Is this normal to feel this full?  Or did i cause a blockage with the tuna.  I have had a bm since the tuna.

HELP PLEASE
 What you are feeling is VERY normal for this soon out of surgery.  Your pouch is very small.  Probably around the size of your thumb.  It will take you a while to learn your new system and the new "cues" that your body will give telling you when to stop.  One bite to many can make you sick.  All I can tell you is the feeling is not the same as pre RNY.  You will learn it...listen to your body.  When I was first out, I was lucky to be able to eat a tablespoon worth of food at one sitting.  The important thing is, focus on protein first, do not drink with meals.  Try not to over stretch your pouch.

If you had gotten something stuck, you probably would have been in the bathroom vomiting soon after eating it.  Some foods will affect you differently.  Foods that are heavy will make you feel worse.  It may have been the mayo that caused your nausea.  Mayo with tuna sometimes still has that effect on me and I am 10 years out from my original RNY.  

Don't worry, this will change with time.  Your pouch will stretch some.  This is normal.  You will be able to eat more when you get a little farther out.  Enjoy this time, it is what they refer to as the Honeymoon period.  It is the time when you will experience the greatest weight loss and being able to eat so little is part of that.  Don't take it for granted.  Sometimes we don't realize this is not forever and we fall back into our old habits, which down the line can cause issues with weight gain.  Remember it is a tool and nothing more.  I would also suggest avoiding carbs like potatoes, sugar, candy etc.  or at least limiting them.  These breakdown into sugar and your body will not malabsorb them.  No WLS does.

The only other thing I would suggest is be patient.  You will learn what foods you can tolerate and which ones you can't.  It is different for everyone.  You will get to a point where you know off hand if you are going to be able to tolerate a offered food choice or not.  Seems weird, I know, but it is like a sixth sense.  Now, I can pretty much tolerate anything.  I look back and remember all the "worries" I had early out and smile because I had no clue it would all change soon enough.

Good Luck.  If you have any further questions don't hesitate to ask.  This is also a great board...many folks who are very supportive and knowledgeable. 

MEW

emjayel56
on 9/25/09 10:13 pm - Boynton Beach,, FL
hI, I am 4 weeks postop and also on the "pureed" stage  My nutritionist says technically it's okay if i did not puree the food but rather cut the pieces very small and chew chew chew.  That is what i have done and it has worked out fine.  I do not eat much but just enough and i think it's a learning process as to what we can eat, how much etc.  Good luck to you. 
Most Active