Lap band to gastric bypass....any advice?

amypat
on 9/22/09 12:40 pm
Ok, I had the lap band June '08 and then had to have it removed March '09.  I just got approved for the gastric bypass and have a surgery date of 10/20.  I am soooo excited, but scared at the same time.  Can anyone who has went from band to bypass give me any advice?  I would appreciate it.  I'm a bit of a nervous wreck right now!!!
emjayel56
on 9/22/09 10:04 pm - Boynton Beach,, FL
Hi congrats on the upcoming surgery.  I too had a lapband.  I had actualy 2 lapbands.  First one put in in 2001, second one put in Feb of this year.   Had to have a revision on 8/31 and they took out the band and converted me to a bypass.  You should be fine because the main problem is with alot of scar tissue. I had 2 lapband sugeries and 1 hiatel hernia surgery so there was a lot of scar tissue but I had two wonderful surgeons who did it laparoscopically and surgery was uneventful.  Your band was removed in March and so whatever scar tissue was there is healing so I am sure you will be fine.

Keep me posted and feel free to ask any questions.

Maryjo
peggy1011
on 9/23/09 1:09 am - Whitesboro, NY
Revision on 09/08/09 with
I had my lapband revision to RNY done in one surgery on 9/8.  Everything went great, in fact the RNY surgery was 10 times better than the lap band.   I too was a nervous wreck prior, and had a major case of the should I, shouldn't I's.    But with each passing day, I know I made the best choice, and now am on my way to a much healthier self.   Keep in touch if you have any questions...

Peggy

brandyII
on 9/23/09 3:09 am
Amypat,

I had my revision done in two steps also and waited 8 months after it's removal for the RNY.  It's been over 3 months since I have revised but am very pleased so far.  I have a good bariatric team and support group and I think that really helps.  I never was successful with the lap band so this was the last hope for me.  Recovery is more difficult so be prepared for that but to me it was worth it in the end.  Good luck to you, Nancy.
      Revised from Lap band 8/22/07 to RNY 6/11/09   Starting weight 259lbs

Dossy30
on 9/23/09 9:32 am - GA
I have not had any type of revision or if I even need to but I'm just looking for someone who has had to have their band removed because of a slip to tell me if my symptoms relate to a slip.  I am able to eat a little but I continually burp up some of it.  I'm having sudden severe reflux so bad that I'm waking up 3 or more times a night choking and inhaling it into my lungs and coughing it out.  I have a lump in my throat and have had some chest and back pain that resembled gall stones but I've had my gallbladder removed.  I've been eating tums for the last couple months like candy and then prilosec daily.  But lately it's gotten BAD.  I had my band put in March 08 and my last fill was Nov 08 which is why I don't think it's a "to tight" situation.  Can anyone give me some advice.  I do have a dr appt tomorrow but you know how it is...you want answers NOW!  I'm having to sleep on the couch propped up just so I don't choke.

Thanks for any info you can give me:)

emjayel56
on 9/23/09 10:08 am - Boynton Beach,, FL
Hi, my best advice to have the doctor do an esophagram to confirm but it could have slipped.  My band slipped last year but only the xray could confirm it.  I had very bad reflux and continual adjustments to the band .. it was too loose, it was too tight.  Of course there are other things as well that can be causing your problems so only the doctor can tell for sure.   good luck.
Poodles
on 9/25/09 12:41 pm - TX
I am very interested in the replies to your question.  I am in the same boat.  Currently have the band, but approved for RNY.  Don't have a date yet... but my second consult to set up my date is next Thursday. 

Very scared at this point, because I don't want the RNY.  But that is my only choice due to insurance issues/health issues.

Hopefully more "converts" will chime in!
(deactivated member)
on 10/12/09 7:36 am - CA
Poodles, if you really don't want RNY, don't let your insurance force you into a procedure that isn't right for you.

10 weeks ago, I had revision from Lap-Band to RNY, and I've been having complications ever since. I only listened to the people for whom everything went great, and I didn't look into the downside nearly enough. Everyone says that 6 months or a year from now, I'll be happy I did it, and I certainly hope they're right.

But my point is, no matter what the procedure, if you don't feel it's a good match for you and your body, then don't do it. You know your body better than any doctor.

Best,
Rachel
GayleTx
on 9/26/09 12:35 pm - northeast, TX

You don't have to be too tight to have a slippage.  I had my second band put in in Feb....never did have a fill because I was having such trouble gettting solids to go down.  Seven months later I revised to a bypass and the surgeon said that the band had indeed slipped......he called it a 'mechanical failure' .

Best wishes to you........

Most Active