Protein Shakes...question

(deactivated member)
on 9/20/09 9:39 am - OH

Hi,
I have a hard time getting protein since I do not eat eggs and have trouble with dairy products. I am not much of a meat eater.
So I enjoy making the smoothies with fruit and powdered whey protein.  I notice that there is a statement on the can that reads:
Do not use for weight reduction.  Does anyone have further information about this?

ginau
on 9/20/09 10:01 am - mesa, AZ
That statement does not apply to you!  you need to get your protein from any source you can.  I enjoy Tofu in my shakes/ smoothies. also add a little greek yogurt - a little  dairy in moderation might not bother you as much.

I believe they can is a general statement, the company  does not want to promote the product for  weight loss and open up legal issue's -- Remember back to the late 70's early 80's and the protein liquid diets ??

Question .. How do you get most of your protein ??

GinaU aka Jeanna 
 RNY revised  to Extended RNY 5/2008
Total loss 181 and counting 

-

(deactivated member)
on 9/20/09 10:47 am - OH
Thank you for your reply. I was really stumped when I saw that statement on the can. I have been out for over 5 yrs and I am fighting the "regain" situation. I have always had trouble getting in the protein.I recently found some bagels which have 10 grams of protein each and then the light Laughing Cow cheese wedge has 2.5 grams. I also eat yogurt--the kind that is 50 calories per small container; Fiber One.  I had a lot of trouble with not having bowel movements and once I started the bagels I have no problem. I am just afraid I may be getting too many carbs? What is the maximum we are permitted per day? I watch my calories very carefully. I eat no sugar other than packets of Equal in my beverages. I appreciate any/all advice to rev up the weight loss. :-)
ginau
on 9/20/09 11:26 am - mesa, AZ
I perfer the Matrix and Nectars protein shakes/ powder.  Also checlk GNC they have some good whey powders. low in calories -  we are told not to drink our calories.

Here are some tips that have been preached to me .. They might help you.

Greek yogurt ( walmart and finer  grocery stores)  has  double the protein of regular yogurt.  

General rule of thumb I use is .. 20-25 grams of protein for 100 - 130 calorie shake.

No more than 40 carbs per day.  -- If you need fiber to keep you regular - use benefiber.

You might google the 5 day pouch test and reset your pouch.

Journal your food for a while .. shoot for 1200- 1500 calories day  and 80- 100  grams of protein per day.

Good Luck the regain monster is horrible one to fight.

GinaU aka Jeanna 
 RNY revised  to Extended RNY 5/2008
Total loss 181 and counting 

-

poet_kelly
on 9/20/09 10:53 am - OH
What brand are you using?  I have not seen that on any protein powders.  Is it very high in calories or something?

As far as carbs go, I was never given a limit.  I was just told to stay away from starchy carbs like bread and rice and pasta, for the most part.  I do eat them occasionally, but not a lot.  But I don't worry about the carbs in things like beans and fruit and veggies.

Kelly
(deactivated member)
on 9/20/09 10:57 am - OH
Hi Kelly,
I am using the Designer Whey Protein--in a large can. The statement is on the back of the can. One scoop of the powder is equal to 100 calories. I put it in my blender with crushed ice and maybe a half cup of strawberries or other fruit and make the smoothie.
Does anyone have info about the bagels? The ones I eat are the Harvest Fruit by Thomas. Very high in antioxidents and fiber.
240 calories per bagel.
poet_kelly
on 9/20/09 12:35 pm - OH
I think it should be fine for you to use that.

Kelly
Ms Shell
on 9/20/09 10:55 am - Hawthorne, CA
There are some protein powders out there made specificially for weight GAIN.  Check the calorie, fat, protein, carb, sugar, break down of the protein you are drinking cause you could have one of those.

Ms Shell

"WLS is only for people who are ready to move past the "diet" mentality" ~Alison Brown
"WLS is not a Do-Over (repeat same mistakes = get a similar outcome.)  It is a Do-BETTER (make lifestyle changes you can continue forever.)" ~ Michele Vicara aka Eggface

CLemperle
on 9/20/09 12:09 pm - CA
Isopure protein shakes from GNC have so much protein and recommended by most surgeons as it absorbs the best.  Check it out and good luck!
Teena A.
on 9/20/09 12:19 pm, edited 9/20/09 12:31 pm - Mesquite, TX
I use the zero carb Isopure powder and the RTD ones when I am on the go and I love it.

The RTD Isopure is really good, but a bit pricey, but worth the cost.

You can get it a little cheaper on the Internet versus GNC or Vitamin Shoppe.

www.nextag.com/isopure-protein-powder/stores-html

www.google.com/products

www.obesityhelp.com/forums/revision/4024269/The-5-Day-Pouch- Test-by-Kaye-Bailey/

Teena Adler
Facebook Contact Info/Email address:Skyedan[email protected]
10/09/09 - Distal Gastric Bypass (ERNY) Revision - Common Channel 90

"Never Let People,Places,Or Things Stand In Your Way Of Fulfilling Your Goals And Living Out Your Dreams." Teena Adler

Most Active