What am I doing wrong?

Lorie V.
on 9/19/09 10:35 pm - Fairborn, OH
I had my revision (from a (RNY) to a DS on June 8th and I've only lost 3-4 lbs.  I asked my Dr if I should be more worried about calories or protein and he said protein, so that's what I focus on.  Now I don't go out and load up on sugar, as a matter of fact I try and limit that.  I usually use my protein bar as my sugar fix.  The bar has 180 calories and 20 grams of protein.  I have been getting between 80-120 grams of protein a day.  You know, some days are better than others.  I can sit and eat a whole mean, which means my stomach has stretched since the original RNY done in 2004.  I also dring diet pop........I know, more water.  But 3-4 lbs in 3 months, I'm about at my ropes end.  Maybe I was just meant to be obese for the rest of my life!

Lorie
(deactivated member)
on 9/19/09 11:29 pm
Hi Lorie!

The best way not to lose weight or to gain weight with a DS is to eat sugar! 

Go totally sugar free, get your carbs (complex carbs, no simple carbs) under 50 gm a day.

Go over to the DS board and get some info on what everyone is eating.  With the DS you can eat and still lose.

Revisions some times lose slower and have to be more proactive with their food choices.  There is no magic WLS!

Michele
mew6495
on 9/20/09 12:07 am - MI
 I agree with Sandy.  Simple carbs can be the down fall to ANY wls.  To determine just how much sugar/carbs you are taking in start logging your intake on fitday.com or a similar tracking tool.  You may be surprised at what you find.  

If you find that your carb intake is within reason and on the low end then I would discuss this issue with your doctor.  Could be something else going on.  I would also recommend getting a copy of your surgery report.  See exactly what was done....what size was your sleeved stomach made to, what is the length of your CC etc.  I am sure the DS board would have tons of information and suggestions for you.

Good Luck.

shele
on 9/20/09 4:56 pm

I would bet you only had your intestinal portion revised to ds.  Maguire doesn't to rny to ds revisions as he feels there is not need to bother the pouch. In his experience his patients loose the same. 

They probably told you that revisions loose slower. Our bodies are already used to smaller portions.

Up your protein, water and fat intake.  Reduce all carbs, especially simple ones(sugar flour).

I have lost very slowly, at times it will bounce back up a pound or 2 which dives me crazy, but overall I am happy with my surgery.

shele
LiFeLoNg hEaLtH imY GoAl
RNY 5-11-04 280
Lowest weight 174
Highest re-gain 238

erny 3-23-09 (120 common channel

low post revision 190
Current Weight  204

Height 5'6"

GOAL 154 Normal BMI

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 9/21/09 12:06 pm
I don't think Maguire gave you a DS, but another type of RNY.

It sounds like he left your pouch, instead of doing a complete take down of it, and redoing the stomach into a new sleeve, so you likely have an extended RNY.

You need to get the information from him as to what exactly you have, and what would possibly help kick start your loss.

Regardless of what surgery you ended up with, sugar or carbs will sabotage your weight loss, so watch those like a hawk.
reenieb
on 9/23/09 4:05 am
RNY on 03/08/04 with
Why are you eating sugar in any form at all? This is a choice that you're making so you are not MEANT to be obese - you are chosing to be! Success is a choice, Lorie. Failure is a choice as well. Empower yourself to be successful because of the choices you make. No pity-party here - no one who has gone through the grave difficulties of weight-loss surgery should choose to eat sugar afterwards (and believe me, I have) ... anyone who does is choosing failure. The beauty is - you can choose a different path, right here, right now. You don't have yesterday (yeah - I don't have to look back at my lousy choices anymore!) - you don't have tomorrow (yeah - I don't have to fear the unknown!) - you only have this moment, the one you're living right now. Now fill that moment with the choices that will manifest in success. Stop feeling sorry for yourself and choose differently. Good luck and be well, Maureen
Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.
Most Active