vsg revision

susang
on 9/20/09 7:23 am - CA
I have a vsg (3 years ago)...all is ok except my stomach per endoscopy is shaped like an hourglass not a banana which alters fod flow...I also have severe lower gastritis and a hernia. I have been on Protonics for a year.
My question is this..I have heard that a vsg revision is riskier than the initial vsg...Does anyone know if this is true??? Has anyone out there had a vsg revision??? Still maintaining the vsg???
I am waiting for an appt with my previous surgeon.
I am also wondering if the esophyx procedure would help with the gerd.
Any info would be appreciated
sue
babsintx
on 9/20/09 10:14 pm - GA
Hi Sue,

I have heard of this problem. I thought it was a surgical error because if the staple line is double stitched and the sleeve is done evenly, then this doesnt happen? Couldnt you go back to the same surgeon and have them redo? Wouldnt they have liability? Just wondering.

Babs

susang
on 9/20/09 10:45 pm - CA
Thanks for the reply...The surgeon that did the procedure has left that group and he states it was not a surgical problem  hmmmmm...His associate at the group says it is a surgical problem???
I am interested on where you discovered this information..I have been looking everywhere for an answer and having difficulty finding an answer.

I do have to get it corrected and have a phone appt set up with the associate surgeon so we will see
Thanks again
sue
babsintx
on 9/21/09 12:54 am - GA
HI,

I recall during my consultation with Dr. Roslin who did my revision that this could occur if the sleeve was too tight to the bougie on to*****t even. If I were you, I would seriously look at contacting the best revision surgeon in the country. I spoke to 5 before I made my decision for Dr. Roslin.

Babs

susang
on 9/21/09 4:01 am - CA
Babs....What does the **** mean...I swear i cant figure out that word LOL
Did you get a revision VSG??? I totally agree about finding the best if that is what needs to be done
llittle
on 9/20/09 11:05 pm - w farmington, ON
I pray they make it right for you.  I hope everything goes well with your phone conversation with the associate surgeon. 
Blessings

fullofjoy

susang
on 9/21/09 4:01 am - CA
Thanks
(deactivated member)
on 9/21/09 1:01 am - AZ
On September 20, 2009 at 2:23 PM Pacific Time, susang wrote:
I have a vsg (3 years ago)...all is ok except my stomach per endoscopy is shaped like an hourglass not a banana which alters fod flow...I also have severe lower gastritis and a hernia. I have been on Protonics for a year.
My question is this..I have heard that a vsg revision is riskier than the initial vsg...Does anyone know if this is true??? Has anyone out there had a vsg revision??? Still maintaining the vsg???
I am waiting for an appt with my previous surgeon.
I am also wondering if the esophyx procedure would help with the gerd.
Any info would be appreciated
sue

Any revision is going to be more risky than working on a virgin stomach.  The scarring and adhesions create additional risk for bleeding, perforation, leaks, etc.

What kind of revision are you looking for?  VSG to VSG?  VSG to bypass?  VSG to DS?

susang
on 9/22/09 9:31 am - CA
I am looking to just get the vsg refixed...just talked to a surgeon who assisted with the surgery he wants an upper GI said he would need to see the shape of my stomach first with the upper GI
 Interesting I had an endoscopy before due to the reflux so more will be revealed
Most Active