Lower end BMI

weenie
on 9/20/09 1:52 am
Good Morning Everyone,

I am starting the revision process from Lap Band to RNY.  My port flipped twice and now the band has slipped.  My BMI is currently 37 and I am wondering if anyone had this same issue.  Will my insurance cover since my BMI is lower.  I would hope they would not want me to gain all my weight back!   I have the documentation showing all the problems and am currently going to a new Dr.  I never thought that would be an issue but my husband brought that to my attention.
heatherlowrymom
on 9/20/09 6:16 am
You sound like me! exactly the same! My insurance(humana) says as long as bmi is 35 or above with comorbid stuff, it should be fine. Mine is a little under, so I am trying to gain a few, unfortunately...
(deactivated member)
on 9/20/09 7:26 am - AZ
On September 20, 2009 at 8:52 AM Pacific Time, weenie wrote:
Good Morning Everyone,

I am starting the revision process from Lap Band to RNY.  My port flipped twice and now the band has slipped.  My BMI is currently 37 and I am wondering if anyone had this same issue.  Will my insurance cover since my BMI is lower.  I would hope they would not want me to gain all my weight back!   I have the documentation showing all the problems and am currently going to a new Dr.  I never thought that would be an issue but my husband brought that to my attention.

From what I have seen on various boards you still have to follow the same basic requirements for an original surgery.  BMI of 40 or BMI of 35 w/specific comorbidities.

They don't want you to gain your weight back, they want you to pay for the surgery. ;o)

peggy1011
on 9/20/09 7:27 am - Whitesboro, NY
Revision on 09/08/09 with
My BMI is 36 at the time of revision from lapband to RNY.  Initially my insurance company denied the revision, but my surgeon called the medical director of the insurance company and informed him that I do have comorbids of high blood pressure and sleep apnea. Once that was made clear, I was approved!!!!     As far as I know, most of the insurance companies will approve the surgery for a BMI of at least 35, if there's comorbids involved. 
Good luck to you!!!  :)

Peggy

mew6495
on 9/20/09 9:40 am - MI
 This would be dependent on your insurance company.  I would suggest contacting them or going on line and finding out what their qualification criteria is.  This can also be dependent on your individual policy.

I had a revision from RNY to ERNY.  My BMI was 33 at the time of my revision.  My insurance paid for mine.  However, I just found out there is one last bill that has not been paid yet and I am working through that.  But their (BCBS MI) revision requirement was that it had to be medically necessary and could not be just because I did not reach goal the first time around.  I did not have to follow all the original wls requirements.

Good Luck.

Most Active