Most sucessful Surgery

sreed1966
on 9/19/09 8:11 am - Livonia, MI
Hi all...I'm trying to take a poll....I have a failed lap band through no fault of my own....Lost almost 100 pounds and then it slipped...have had it repositioned and it still isn't working correctly.I have gained about 40 pounds back over the past 10 months and I'm at 200..My question is...If you could get a revision which surgery would you choose? And does anyone know which surgery is the most sucessful in the long run? I'm leaning towards RNY because my insurance will cover it, but I don't want to go through this again, so I'm just really looking for the best...It seems like alot of RNY patients have regained quite a bit of their weight after a few years out. I'm in Michigan and meeting with Dr. Pleatman. Thanks in advance!
mew6495
on 9/19/09 8:52 am - MI
On September 19, 2009 at 3:11 PM Pacific Time, sreed1966 wrote:
Hi all...I'm trying to take a poll....I have a failed lap band through no fault of my own....Lost almost 100 pounds and then it slipped...have had it repositioned and it still isn't working correctly.I have gained about 40 pounds back over the past 10 months and I'm at 200..My question is...If you could get a revision which surgery would you choose? And does anyone know which surgery is the most sucessful in the long run? I'm leaning towards RNY because my insurance will cover it, but I don't want to go through this again, so I'm just really looking for the best...It seems like alot of RNY patients have regained quite a bit of their weight after a few years out. I'm in Michigan and meeting with Dr. Pleatman. Thanks in advance!
 If you are looking for a revision which will add the malabsorption component then I would also suggest checking out the DS.  Seems to have good long term results over all.  Many folks have success with the RNY as well but I would recommend having the Distal or ERNY right from the start to try and avoid any possible weight gain down the road.

You're doing the right thing by researching.  Research all options for both good and bad side effects.  Every WLS has them to some extent.

Good Luck.

amigo
on 9/19/09 9:00 am
Make sure you research the sleeve. Becoming very popular most are revising to it....Amigo
USAF Wife
on 9/19/09 9:06 am
I revised to the sleeve from the band because I knew I did not need the malabsorption aspect of a surgery to be successful. There's quite a few members here that are a few years out, and have had great success with the sleeve. I personally lost 25-27 pounds with the band the first 3 months, flipped port was causing so much pain, and unable to get a fill, I started regaining that weight. I revised and couldn't be happier. I have lost 72lbs in 3.5 months, and am elated with the immediate restriction, true hunger control, and overall results of the sleeve.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

emjayel56
on 9/19/09 9:39 am - Boynton Beach,, FL
I just revised from a band (of 9 years) to RNY on 8/31.    Each surgery has pros and cons and risks and benefits; best to research everything, have an experienced surgeon in revisions and consult with him/her.  Good luck
JanelG
on 9/19/09 11:56 pm - Canada
Many people have done well with the VSG...not so in my case.  I have regained almost all my weight over the last 2 years...I am in weigh****chers now.  Many revise from band to VSG and did well, but when I was researching my revision, I was told that if a restrictive surgery didn't work well for you, another restrictive surgery probably won't do much better.  I would research all your options, and consider adding a malabsorption component, such as DS or RNY (since band and VSG are both restrictive only).  Good luck!! 

Most Active