Anyone with hernia experience?

shele
on 9/19/09 9:10 pm

I went to bed last night and turned on my side. I felt a sharp pain and put my hand where the pain was. There was a lump about half the size of my fist. It was located on the left side of my open surgery scar.  I laid down. and it didn't get any better.

This am it is a little sore, and there is a hard place that is really sore to the touch, and is about 2 finger widths wide and about a finger length long.

Do these need surgery right away? Can it wait till I get to goal, or will it continue to bulge and hurt?

Thanks!

shele
LiFeLoNg hEaLtH imY GoAl
RNY 5-11-04 280
Lowest weight 174
Highest re-gain 238

erny 3-23-09 (120 common channel

low post revision 190
Current Weight  204

Height 5'6"

GOAL 154 Normal BMI

llittle
on 9/20/09 1:45 am - w farmington, ON
I'm not sure.  I would call Dr. Maguire's office.  I had a hernia, but he fixed it when I had my revision.  I'm sorry I haven't posted in a while.  I have just been so sick.  I am finally feeling better.  The nausea is finally starting to go away.  I need to exercise though.  I have only lost 20lbs.  I'm disappointed.  I expected to lose more. 
Anyway, I wouldn't wait on calling the doctor.  You have a great day!
Blessings

fullofjoy

Mary_in_SA
on 9/20/09 4:15 am
Yes, I think you should contact your Dr. and talk it over with him.  I had a small hernia after my open VBG and my doctor decided to repair it.  I was only about half way to goal at the time but it has held - even now with me gaining back all my weight.  I'm glad I didn't wait to have it repaired because it would've caused big problems if it had been too tight when I finally gained all this weight.  Your doctor will be able to guide you on this.

Mary
(deactivated member)
on 9/20/09 7:31 am - AZ
On September 20, 2009 at 4:10 AM Pacific Time, shele wrote:

I went to bed last night and turned on my side. I felt a sharp pain and put my hand where the pain was. There was a lump about half the size of my fist. It was located on the left side of my open surgery scar.  I laid down. and it didn't get any better.

This am it is a little sore, and there is a hard place that is really sore to the touch, and is about 2 finger widths wide and about a finger length long.

Do these need surgery right away? Can it wait till I get to goal, or will it continue to bulge and hurt?

Thanks!

Depending on cir****tances they usually want you to lose weight if at all possible before repairing them as excess weight causes the hernia to often times come back.

shele
on 9/20/09 5:36 pm

Thanks for responding guys!  I called Dr. Maguire at home, and he wanted me to go to er.  I decided to wait until today( Monday) and just get an appointment.  It is very sore, and the hard spot is still there. If I bend over it feels like it is bulging again, so I am just taking it easy until I can be seen.  I really hope this can wait, but I have my doubts.  My stomach also is very bloated and gassy, and I haven't had any carbs( except for the few in lunchmeat and cheese).

Thanks again!

shele
LiFeLoNg hEaLtH imY GoAl
RNY 5-11-04 280
Lowest weight 174
Highest re-gain 238

low post revision 190
Current Weight  204

Height 5'6"

GOAL 154 Normal BMI

llittle
on 9/20/09 10:44 pm - w farmington, ON
Shele, I will be praying for you.  Thank you for encouraging me to post again.  You made life so much easier for me when I realized you had the same surgery with the same doctor.  I can't wait to hear how your doctor visit went.
Blessings

fullofjoy

shele
on 9/23/09 7:48 pm

Hey Llittle,

I ended up in surgery! Have a really bad infection AGAIN!

I am supposed to have the home nurses comming out with a wound vac.  I am sooo discouraged. This may be the reason for my slower than slow weight loss though.

Thanks for taking the time to respond!

shele
LiFeLoNg hEaLtH imY GoAl
RNY 5-11-04 280
Lowest weight 174
Highest re-gain 238

low post revision 190
Current Weight  204

Height 5'6"

GOAL 154 Normal BMI

Most Active