Navigating the Revision Journey

starrgirrl
on 9/20/09 1:41 am - los angeles, CA
As I've shared before, I had a LapBand in 2004 and was successful for about 4 years. Then it slipped and it was removed in July 08. Since then I've regained all of the weight.

At the time that the band was removed, I was informed that the program I was with did not allow revisional surgeries (according to the insurance network).  When I heard this I just sobbed. If I could have kept the band I would have... but it was dangerous and I needed to let it go.

I was in such grief and I didn't have the strength to "diet" for the rest of my life. Add in big life stress & low thyroid and the weight came back.

I've now connected with another program in my insurance network and they WILL consider me for a revision~! They've started me in their bariatric program which is AMAZING! All pre-op patients must go through their program whi*****ludes classes in nutrition, lifestyle changes & working with a bariatric psychologist. I'm thrilled because their program takes a mind/body/spirit approach to wellness -- something that deeply resonates with me!

I'm so grateful to be in a program that offers so much support. I met with the psychologist on Friday. It is wonderful to be supported by someone who understands this journey and can help me prepare for surgery.

I'm a candidate for RNY now. And I must say that I'm still not clear about what I want to do. If someone had offered me RNY right after my band was out I would have jumped at the chance. But now that I'm a year back into "eating normally" I'm not sure I'm ready to say yes again. Not because I want to keep pigging out, but because I'm not sure I'm ready to give up things like apples... salads... broccoli and other foods that I wasn't really able to consume when I had the band. I could eat them if very small portions -- but I had to be very careful. The other day I was eating an apple & I thought "I won't be able to do this the same way if I have RNY."

I'm also concerned about the possibility of long-term complications. I've been reading the boards for a few months now and I get scared when I read about people who are not properly absorbing nutrients or are extremely fatigued.

I'm also exploring VSG, but I'm concerned that there is not really long-term data on it (10+ years).

It's so different considering surgery for the second time. The first time I was in the JOY of it - sure this was going to be my lifetime solution~! WLS definitely brings a different way of life. I would have to be very careful eating out with friends. Careful to eat slowly & monitor my fullness signals otherwise I'd have to run to the bathroom to throw up. I sometimes would carry baggies in case food got stuck and came back up. I remember being on the plane with my husband as we returned from our honeymoon. I ate the small package of peanuts they offered me... one got stuck. The seatbelt sign was on. And so I had to throw up into one of the airsickness backs.

However I also experienced exquisite freedom! I LOVED that my band was taking good care of me. It didn't care if I was upset & wanted to eat more... it didn't care if my favorite foods were in abundance. It was neutral and always there taking good care of me.

So I'm sharing all of the thoughts & feelings that are coming up as I make a decision about having a revision. I sense that I'll ultimately say yes to this opportunity. But before I do, I want to make sure all of me is in alignment with it.

I'm glad to be able to share all of this with you. So few people can understand the complexities of this life-changing path.

mew6495
on 9/20/09 2:08 am - MI
On September 20, 2009 at 8:41 AM Pacific Time, starrgirrl wrote:
As I've shared before, I had a LapBand in 2004 and was successful for about 4 years. Then it slipped and it was removed in July 08. Since then I've regained all of the weight.

At the time that the band was removed, I was informed that the program I was with did not allow revisional surgeries (according to the insurance network).  When I heard this I just sobbed. If I could have kept the band I would have... but it was dangerous and I needed to let it go.

I was in such grief and I didn't have the strength to "diet" for the rest of my life. Add in big life stress & low thyroid and the weight came back.

I've now connected with another program in my insurance network and they WILL consider me for a revision~! They've started me in their bariatric program which is AMAZING! All pre-op patients must go through their program whi*****ludes classes in nutrition, lifestyle changes & working with a bariatric psychologist. I'm thrilled because their program takes a mind/body/spirit approach to wellness -- something that deeply resonates with me!

I'm so grateful to be in a program that offers so much support. I met with the psychologist on Friday. It is wonderful to be supported by someone who understands this journey and can help me prepare for surgery.

I'm a candidate for RNY now. And I must say that I'm still not clear about what I want to do. If someone had offered me RNY right after my band was out I would have jumped at the chance. But now that I'm a year back into "eating normally" I'm not sure I'm ready to say yes again. Not because I want to keep pigging out, but because I'm not sure I'm ready to give up things like apples... salads... broccoli and other foods that I wasn't really able to consume when I had the band. I could eat them if very small portions -- but I had to be very careful. The other day I was eating an apple & I thought "I won't be able to do this the same way if I have RNY."

I'm also concerned about the possibility of long-term complications. I've been reading the boards for a few months now and I get scared when I read about people who are not properly absorbing nutrients or are extremely fatigued.

I'm also exploring VSG, but I'm concerned that there is not really long-term data on it (10+ years).

It's so different considering surgery for the second time. The first time I was in the JOY of it - sure this was going to be my lifetime solution~! WLS definitely brings a different way of life. I would have to be very careful eating out with friends. Careful to eat slowly & monitor my fullness signals otherwise I'd have to run to the bathroom to throw up. I sometimes would carry baggies in case food got stuck and came back up. I remember being on the plane with my husband as we returned from our honeymoon. I ate the small package of peanuts they offered me... one got stuck. The seatbelt sign was on. And so I had to throw up into one of the airsickness backs.

However I also experienced exquisite freedom! I LOVED that my band was taking good care of me. It didn't care if I was upset & wanted to eat more... it didn't care if my favorite foods were in abundance. It was neutral and always there taking good care of me.

So I'm sharing all of the thoughts & feelings that are coming up as I make a decision about having a revision. I sense that I'll ultimately say yes to this opportunity. But before I do, I want to make sure all of me is in alignment with it.

I'm glad to be able to share all of this with you. So few people can understand the complexities of this life-changing path.

Hello Starrgirrl,

You are doing the right thing by researching all possible side effects and outcomes.  It is a very big decision, one that is life changing and should by no means be taken lightly or for granted.

Weigh the risks and the outcomes.  Look at the statistics.  With any wls, or any surgery for that matte,r there are risks associated with it.  Only you can determine what you can live with.

I had RNY in 2001 and a revision to ERNY in 2008.  It has been a very life changing journey for me and one I would do over again.  

As far as eating the fruits and veggies you mention.... you can have these with RNY.  Not sure where you come by the info you would have problems with them.  I eat apples, bananas, grapes, watermelon, broccoli, beans, cucumbers etc without any problems what-so-ever.  Early out there is some adjustments you will have to make to your new system.  Your pouch will be very small and one bite to many of any food can make you ill.  Focus should be on protein for 3/4 portion of your meals.   But you will learn your new system and you will know when you have had enough.  There were certain foods I could not tolerate the first year after surgery, most of them certain types of meats.  Moist meats settle better.    Over time, your pouch stretches some and your tolerance for foods increase.  Now, I can eat anything without issue.  I watch the simple carbs simply because you will absorb all calories from these and they are not very healthy for you.  I know everyone's system responds differently but once you get past the first "honeymoon" phase I think you will find that some of your fears will be put to rest.  Post your questions on the RNY board about your concerns over types of foods if this is the wls you are considering.

You may want to check out the DS as well if your insurance will allow it.  Their autonomy is different in which they do not have to worry about food tolerance to much.

Congratulations on your new journey and good luck with whatever you decide.

poet_kelly
on 9/20/09 5:36 am - OH
I had RNY, and I eat apples, salads, and broccoli.  I know some people have problems with the apple skin and have to peel them.  But they don't bother me.

Kelly
starrgirrl
on 9/20/09 6:41 am - los angeles, CA
Thank you both for your replies~! I guess I'm still learning the difference between the band and RNY. When I had the band, I couldn't eat those foods because the roughage wouldn't go through the band. I could sometimes eat a small portion of a soft apple that had been peeled. Raw broccoli was out of the question. I could sometimes eat salad, but only in very small quantities.  I'm glad to hear that it's possible with RNY!
(deactivated member)
on 9/20/09 7:24 am - AZ
On September 20, 2009 at 8:41 AM Pacific Time, starrgirrl wrote:

I revised from band to sleeve over a year ago.  Best thing I ever did.

For me, personally.... I'd NEVER have bypass.  After having a band for 18 months I am gun shy of stomas.  I will never live with another stoma again.  With a sleeve I have a normal stomach and all the parts work less the Ghrelin.

It's a personal decision and only you can decide what is right for you.

babsintx
on 9/20/09 10:10 pm - GA
Hi,

I am a lapband to sleeve revision. Best decision I ever made. I have been maintaining my weight for some time now for the first time in my life.
But as other posters have said, do your research and do whats right for you.

Babs

Misty T.
on 9/23/09 1:09 pm
Hello,
I am curious, I had to have my band removed for two reasons,,, first was SEVERE reflux.  I have been told the sleeve isn't a good option, because of the reflux.  Did any of you have reflux before and after the sleeve?
babsintx
on 9/24/09 12:50 am - GA
Hi,

I had reflux with the band and also with the sleeve. I take nexium for this problem and for the most part, I eat or drink what I want.

Babs

starrgirrl
on 9/21/09 12:24 am - los angeles, CA
Thank you for the kind replies~!  I'm glad to hear of your success with the sleeve. It is an option with my surgeon, but he is recommending RNY for me. However I'll do more research!
Most Active